MembersZone Subscriber

Question Life Span of Firefighters?

I am looking for a little help with my research project. Can you answer these questions?

1. What is the average life span for a male carrer firefighter?

2. What is the average life span for a male volunteer firefighter?

3. What is the average life span for a female carrier firefighter?

4. What is the average life span for a female volunteer firefighter?

5. Where does your documentation come from?

MembersZone Subscriber

These are actually difficult questions.

I cannot speak for Career Firefighters, as to average life span, except for the fact that most Career Firefighters spend 20 to 25 years on the job to be able to retire.

I also cannot speak for Female Firefighters, Career or Volunteer, as they have just come into this picture in the last 30 years or so.
    I don't know if any actual statistics have been kept on this.

Now, as for the Volunteer Fire Service. In this day and age, you do not have young people joining at the age of 18 like you did 40 years ago. Years ago it was almost every boys dream to be a Fireman. Today, fewer young men and/or women are joining the Volunteer Fire Service, be it due to college, careers, or whatever reason. Training requirements are much more stringent and time consuming now days and in some Volunteer Departments, fund raising plays a large roll in the daily/weekly routine of the Departments.
    Recruitment and retention of members is a large problem in many Volunteer Departments.

So, to answer you question, the average life span of a Volunteer Firefighter again is almost impossible to answer. The average age of Volunteers has risen. The functionality of the older members depends on their mental and physical abilities. State and/or Federal physical requirements have to be taken into consideration for the usefulness of these members. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

My basis for this is 35 years of Volunteer Firefighting and belonging to County, Sectional, and State Associations, where the statistics of recruitment and retention of Volunteer Firefighters has become a concern to each Association.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Life Span.

What I am acutually trying to do is to determine how long they live and not how many years they put on the job.

Thread Information