Unhappy Rejection Letter

Just got our rejection letter.

Good Luck to everyone who is still in the running.

Scott Lang
    Arlington Fire Department
    Arlington, VT

Angry

You know the only thing that ticks me off is the amount of time I spent working on my grant application and I never got past the computer scoring.

Says so right in the form letter....

So all the work on the narative I did was wasted

Maybe next year, but with all of the new restrictions I have heard are coming next year I am not going to hold my breath.

Once again, good luck to the rest of you who are still in the running.

Scott

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Just received our grant denial via e-mail! Looks like the first wave is rolling out! At least the torture is over and they didn't take until Christmas, good luck to all!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I guess I'll welcome myself to Club Rejection. My department didn't make it into Peer Review either. Oh well, I got 2 others awards already and still waiting for the other 3 to hear something. In my own opinion they all had greater needs than we did anyway, so I can't say the scoring is biased.

Good luck and may the Schwartz be with y'all.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry you guys didnt get a grant.

Just out of curriousity, what did you apply for?

Also, maybe you could tell us a bit about your departments, that might clue us into what has been kicking you out of the computer scorinig round.

Again, sorry to hear you didnt get a grant.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Combo department: M-F 6a-6p, 14 paid crew, rest of time vollies run.
    Budget $1.4mil, 72% salaries & benefits.
    Population served: 42,000 in all settings.
    2003 Call volume: 3,998 up 15% from previous year (averaging 10-15% in previous 8 years)

Applied for: Symtron Burn Trailer, personal masks for all personnel, upgrade 24 SCBA to 2002 standards.

As I said, the others that I wrote were mainly for PPE, upgrading/replacing much older SCBA, radios, cascade trailer, etc,etc. All stuff that replaced old stuff, or was new basic needs stuff, so I can see why we don't pass the computer score. I figured we'd make it at least to peer review and be out in the 2nd round of denials, so I was expecting the boot, just not this early.

Forum Member

Me too.

Still can't get a truck. I've done four truck grants and been shot down four times. I've done nine grants for other stuff, been funded for five, and still in the running on four.

There's a message here!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Volunteer department: 25 members
    Budget 70,000
    Population served: 5,000 in rural setting.
    2003 Call volume: 150

Applied for: rescue training and equipment (wilderness and water).

I knew the application was a long shot, but we are covering 130 square miles of which most of it is wilderness. We are providing rescue services, but are way under trained and we do not have the equipment to protect our firefighters or our patients.

I did alot of research and put alot of effort into the narative to explain the benefits the grant would provide, but since no one ever read it all of the effort was wasted.

Total amount requested was about $55,000

Forum Member

Was this the first round of letters? It is my assumption that the ones that received rejection letters are the ones that the computer kicked out. Our rural dept received the reject notice today (we were going after a truck). Our city dept did not, but the city went after equipment...new compressor, scbas, TIC and rescue tools. As for the area that we cover: Fire- 360 sq miles, rescue- nearly 1,000 square miles, 2,500 people, 25 firefighters, 35-45 runs (many more on dry years) budget $13,000.

I wonder how many notices they sent out?

Good luck to all!!

Take Care

Thumbs down

We are a combination department located in North Georgia. Been established for 2 years. Total square miles is 2.8 with mainly commercial structures and schools. Total population is 1,600. We have three full-time firefighters, part-time chief and 30 volunteers. Applied last year for equipment and recieved grant. This year for a new custom pumper and was rejected by the computer. I felt it would not go very far when they said we were an urban department verses rural department. Good luck to everyone else.

Forum Member

0 for 4. This is the first time that we have not made it to peer review and I really don't know why. What was the big change in the computer scoring? Nothing much on my app changed this year. We requested the same replacement of SCBA's to bring them up to standards. Guess I should have asked for Exercise Equipment!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just out of curiousity....How many (if any) who recieved the recent Dear Johns checked the Critical Infrastructure box on the app?

Forum Member

Well, seeing as my state told me we had "critical infrastructure", I did. Maybe the Feds computer does not agree with the State?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Bones, I'm sorry to hear about your Dear John. I just wonder how much the "homeland security" played into the scoring. We don't have any critical infrastructure so I naturally didn't check the box. We made it to the end last year, but no $. Why you wouldn't make it this year if your application was for the same stuff as last year is beyond me. Have a cold one on me to drown your sorrows.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

We too got the Dear John Email this morning.

Applied for a new brush truck.

I used basically the same info as I did last year which made it through the peer review and was awarded (FF Ops)

Good luck to the rest....

Of note is that we were awarded last year as well and used basically the same info.

We were just applying in a different area.

And we did not check the critical infastructure box.

Scott

Forum Member

Default 0 for 4

We are of course disappointed to be rejected for the 4th year.

In my research I have not been able to determine where the highest priorities lie to properly write our grant application.

Our current engines are over 24 and 31 years old respectively. We have asked for funding for apparatus and/or equipment in our past applications. I see departments in my area with much smaller jurisdictions, lower populations, lower call volume and more volunteers and greater financial resources being funded. I see departments that are throwing out perfectly good equipment to replace it with exorbitant purchases of new equipment or struggling to find items to spend their leftover funds on. In addition to that I am seeing departments getting grant 2 and 3 years.

Where is the fairnes????

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Dear John: Again & Again & Again & Again

I started to reply when I first got the e-mail, but decided I should cool down first. 0 for 4 I just don't know what to say or do!!!!! Three of the four years applied for truck, one for scba & ppe & equipment, only one time did our narrative get read. We are a small rural dept. 105 sq. miles, 2500 people, all volunteer, our dept. collect arround $28,000 in tax dollars.We protect alot of farm land and 11 million barrels of crude. We have read at least 50 other applications over the years. Seen many with what looked to be false or error ridden statements. Some with three pumpers already, and get funded for another. Been to 4 FEMA Grant classes, went to a grant class that we paid for, they tell me if we follow the rules we will get funded. Ha Had outside help from local school and other people who have worked with grants many times. We did mark the CI box. I think that they should give us some kind of a hint as to what kicked us out. Just look at all the info in the Dear John, but all they can say is go back and look at the guidence pack and fine tune your app. We have done this for 4 years now, and every year the program guidence is used as or reference. I guess I am done venting now, so good luck to all. Now I don't have to think about it for a year!!!!!

Forum Member

We got our Dear John yesterday as well. We are 1 for 4. We were awarded in the 2nd year for PPE. This year we tried for Thermal Imaging Camera, Training material to get all of our team to FF1, and new pagers. next year we may cut back and just ask for the TIC. And by the way we checked CI. We are on the 2nd alarm to the largest fossil fuel power plant in the country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Still hoping

Just wondering how many rounds of Dear Johns there are. In keeping with our past track record (0-3) I expected to get the DJ this year, but as of yet I have not. I don't want to get my Company's hopes yet, but am I also to [l]assume[/l] that our application made it to the peer review? Yeah I know, I may be reading in to things, but with about 20% of the anticipated grants already awarded, and about 16% of the money awarded, I'm still semi-hopeful.

Forum Member

Got ours as well. Vol. department, covering 49 square miles, pop. 2500. Asked for a burn trailer as well. Probably to much money for a small population. 2 for 4 now, got a new compressor last year, and turnout gear the year before. Did not check critical infrastructure.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

rbh, sorry to hear you got the dear john. I'm with you as to what the computer scores on. You know we got kicked out the first 2 years, last year we made it to the end but got no money. We were fortunate to get a piece of the pie this year. Your district and ours are pretty much alike, except for all those oil tanks you've got. Our app was a little different this year, we added more stuff to it and they liked it. Go figure. Try again next year, maybe we'll both end up 1/5. I don't put a lot of hope in next year with all the changes that are proposed.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default We got one to!

Looks like there will be no new engine in our firehouse in the near future. We also got the "thanks for applying" letter yesterday. We did not check the CIS box. This is the first time since these grants started we have not made it past the computer scoring. Not real sure why we didn't but at least I can sleeep at night knowing we filled it out honestly. Like several others have said at least we know were we stand now and the waiting game is over.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

We got ours too. Never made it past the computer scoring. Last year applied for a new 1-T 4x4 crew cab pickup and skid pump unit to make a brush truck didn't get Dear John till March 3rd.

This year appilied for a small casacade system, pump and fil station so we could fill our own SCBA bottles instead of having to drive 20 miles one way.

Forum Member

Got ours Tuesday. Got Grant in 02 for PPE, SCBA, 03 Grant for more PPE, pagers and radios, foam eductors and foam. The only change to our grant was that we marked the CIS box. I checked with state DHS office and was told that the we had 4 things on the list. Pipelines and 80,000 barrell storge facility. Applied for a type III engine. Would have been the first one in our district. 350 square miles, 1150 population, all volunteer. Got 2 5 ton 6x6's coming from the Foestry service. I guess we will use the match money to build us two trucks, no frills basic trucks. Have four trucks that need to go, I guess we will do 2 this year and get two more forestry trucks next year. Can't beat free Chassis. I am thankfull that we got our 2 grants we did get. Without them we would be still stuck in the dark ages. No PPE, no radios and pagers.

Thread Information