Post I need Help with my resume!

I am not getting any response from anyone with my resume and I think I have vastly improved it,but I still need help. Please help me, give me insight whats wrong with this resume? Don't be nice I want a job..hehe

This is most of it (I'm not putting all my contact info)

Summary
    I am a highly motivated individual who can learn new skills at an extremely exceptional pace. My objective is to start a solid career in the professional emergency medical world.

Job Related Experience
    Fishers YMCA Fishers, IN
    On Staff EMT-B (6/04-present)
    • I monitor members and I am readily available to act in emergency situations until proper transportation arrives.
    • My Indiana EMT-B Certification number is #$%^% and it is valid through 07/01/06.

Regency Place Greenwood, Greenwood IN
    Nurses Assistant (CNA work)(7/03-11/03)
    • I worked one on one with the residents in a 27 resident unit, under the supervision of a QMA or LPN.
    • I was responsible for showering residents, keeping them clean including bed changes, feeding, reporting any deviated behaviors, putting all residents to bed, and the doing bed checks every two hours. I also dealt with family members concerns.
    • I worked with Alzheimer’s patients in stages 1-3 and also rehab patients. I did charting on consumptions and ADLS, and I also checked vitals.
    • I did independent lifts as well as lifts using a hoyer device.

YMCA , Ft. Wayne IN
    Lifeguard/Swimming Instructor/Private Lessons Instructor (10/02 - 06/03)
    • I taught children varying in ages from 6 months to 6 years old how to swim independently.
    • I taught in classes and privately, and I also dealt with parental concerns and complaints.
    • I had researched different techniques online and in libraries across the Ft. Wayne area to better myself as an instructor.
    • As a lifeguard, I was challenged with monthly instructional meetings where I learned several different life saving and water rescue techniques, including supine spinal immobilization, and also C-Spine precautions.
    • I am CPR and First Aid for the professional rescuer certified.

Education

IPFW/IUPUI , Indianapolis IN
    Paramedic Science/Biology
    I have successfully completed the requirements for NREMT-B certification. And I have an Indiana state certification as an EMT-B (#^%$#@%) (NR still pending). I am scheduled to start a certification of NREMT-P in August of 2005.

Related Coursework
    My related coursework is in Emergency Medicine. In these classes I have learned medical terminology, and also proper documentation handling. I have learned how to properly take a full set of vitals, as well as patient assessment and emergency care.

My clinical experience included 10 hours in the ER in which I witnessed labor and delivery, tibia fibula surgery in the OR, CHF and I did two EKG’s, I witnessed chest tube placement, and I did many sets of baseline vitals. I did 24 hours in the field and I witnessed cardiogenic hypoperfusion, anaphylactic reaction to an insect bite, patients with shortness of breath, I assessed patients, filled out run reports, and I did a radio report.
    Last edited by PrttyEMTB; 08-30-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Forum Member

Default Surprised????

It should be no surprise why you aren't getting any response from your resume. It's pretty scrambled and difficult to read.

What's the first impression the job panel has of you? Your physical appearance, yes. What else? Your choice of words, eye contact, and your hand shake are all important. You probably missed the most important point!

Your application and resume before you walk in the room! I can't tell you how many times we've seen applications with misspelled words, horrible spelling, chronological order wrong, and we haven't even seen the candidate.

Most resumes are poorly done. The business resume format is not the best for firefighter candidates. That’s because with the high volume of candidates, the raters only have a few moments to look at resumes when they get them in the mail or before you walk into the room.

You can find a sample format here: http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Way, way, way too many notes, to misquote the emperor guy in Amadeus. I've been writing resumes professionally for 15 years, and I can tell you you need to shorten it way up. Capt. Bob is correct...difficult to read at a glance, which is what most employers need.

You don't have enough experience to have a "summary", so change that to "objective" and shorten it to one sentence. Better yet, take out the objective altogether... or change it to personalize the resume for whatever job you are applying for.

Take out the word "I" everywhere. There's no reason for it. Use sentence fragments instead (resumes are the only form of writing where sentence fragments are not only allowed, they are encouraged). For example, instead of saying "I was responsible for 30 firefighter/paramedics in a major urban department", say "Responsible for 30 firefighter/paramedics in a major urban department."

The fact that you are an EMT-B means it's a given that you know how to take vitals, assess, etc (I hope). So you can take out the "related coursework" paragraphs, plus a bunch of repetative gunk in your experience sections. They don't add anything to your resume.

And you mention your EMT-B license number twice. Once is enough. In fact, one could argue that once is more than enough.

There's a lot more, but that's a start. Go to the library and check out a resume book. And check out the link that Capt. Bob gave you, it has a nice sample resume in it.

And good luck! It does sound like you have some nice experience to build on in the future.

Anne
    (FF/Paramedic and resume geek)

Forum Member

Default Right on!

Good stuff!

Captain Bob

Thank you so much Captbob and Anne! I hope this works!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default business resume' format

I agree with the one page highlight resume' for a recruit level job. I have sat in on our hiring board three times. They move pretty quickly, and I do not get to the second page often. As a further follow up remember that just because it is on your resume' don't forget to mention everything on it in an interview. It is possible that the board will not review your resume' prior to the interview.

Bob, as a follow up question is the business format resume' appropriate for an administration level job? How about length? still hold to one or two pages? Kevin

Is it bad to apply to the same place over and over again? I feel like if I just keep applying with different resume's and different cover letters etc... Wishard (where I would love to work) will like one of them you know? I have applied a few times both times they hired this summer, and I hear they will hire again, is that a bad idea or a good idea? will they think I'm a weirdo and not want me?

To add, Wishard is probably the biggest service in Indianapolis so they get thousands of applications, and I hear they randomly choose applications for interviews? could that be true?

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep applying until they tell you not to. Call once in a while to see where you stand. But, don't be over persistant on your calls. In big private agencies timing is important as if there is a job opening, and you happen to call before HR needs to go to work, you will get the job. This does not really apply with Public agencies. Kevin

need a new tower

I reccomend you remove your registry number from the post, not the resume. You never know people and some may go around and misrepresent themselves using your number. Use the edit button found in the post.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default For Capt. Bob

Question...Under you heading (ie Firefihjter)is it OK to itemized your summary instead of writing a paragraph? Or is the paragraph better? You said that usually there isn't much time to view these resumes, I would think it a bullet would get more attention than a paragraph.

Thanks.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Default How's this?

I re did my resume to like a half a page, since I really do not have much experience. How is this??

Job Related Experience
    Fishers YMCA Fishers, IN
    On Staff EMT-B/Lifeguard(6/04-present)
    • monitoring members/readily available to act in emergency situations until proper transportation arrives.

Regency Place Greenwood, Greenwood IN
    Nurses Assistant (CNA work)(7/03-11/03)
    • worked one on one with the residents in a 27 resident unit, under the supervision of a QMA or LPN.
    • responsible for showering residents, keeping them clean including bed changes, feeding, reporting any deviated behaviors, putting all residents to bed, and the doing bed checks every two hours. I also dealt with family members.
    • worked with Alzheimer’s patients in stages 1-3 and also rehab patients. I did charting on consumptions and ADLS, and I also checked vitals.
    • independent lifts as well as lifts using a hoyer device.
    YMCA , Ft. Wayne IN
    Lifeguard (10/02 - 06/03)
    - monthly instructional meetings where I learned several different life saving and water rescue techniques, including supine spinal immobilization, and also C-Spine precautions.
    • I am CPR for the professional rescuer certified
    Education

IPFW/IUPUI , Indianapolis IN
    Major: Paramedic Science/Biology
    Certification/EMT Basic

Forum Member

100 times better than the first!

From an English standpoint, try to keep job responsibilities in the same tense (worked one on one, WAS responsible for, worked with Alzheimer's)

In the lifeguarding experience part, again try to get things into a past tense like "trained in various water rescue & spinal immobilization techniques for special emergencies." (face it, many people in EMS have little exposure to diving/water emergencies -- use that!!)

You can still take "I" out of your professional rescuer CPR part, saying (and correct me if I'm wrong) "Instructed & certified employees in CPR for the professional rescuer" if that's something you did at work (otherwise modify it to fit what you did).

Bullets & the outline technique do wonders with setting off important items you want seen (like you have done).
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thank you so much you guys, this feedback has been amazing, i really apprieciate this!

should i still put past tense if its what i am doing now? (I want it to be past tense...)

MembersZone Subscriber

You might want to keep things short and sweet. Leave room to talk about what your experiences are at the interview. If you read your resume at the interview, the interviewer will get bored. You need to let him/her hear fresh new things about what you've done at previous jobs. Good luck to you!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Like everyone said, much better. Even out the tenses, take out the "I"'s, neaten up the paragraphs a bit, and you're all set.

Oh, and I'm a sucker for an "interest" line because it gives interviewers an ice-breaker subject.....but don't feel obligated to put one in. If you do, put it at the bottom and keep it brief: "Interests: ham radio operator, reading, basket-weaving"

And before your interview, have a good answer ready for when they ask you about the gap in jobs between 11/03 and 6/04....because they WILL ask.

Anne

The gap is easily explained I worked as an outdoor sales rep for a home remodeling company, the work experience is not helpful at all I was in charge of selling the original gutter cover, it was the worst job ever but it paid well and i needed money so it worked out.
    Should I put all of my past employment? as you can see i put "related experience" is that ok? should i change it? or just explain when they ask?
    Last edited by PrttyEMTB; 08-31-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Thread Information