Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose testing

Default Hose testing

We got into a discussion today about hose testing...... What pressure do you test your hose at?

We used to test all of our 1.5" up to 3" at 250 psi. When doing it yesterday for our newer 1.75", I was going to test it at 400 psi because it has "sevice test at 400 psi" painted on it....... Someone else thought that was the pressure that the hose must meet when it's first made, but doesn't have to meet that pressure every year.

I did some quick research on the hose, and I think I know the answer, but I want to see what others say.

All of our 1.75 was made within the last 8 years or so, so it is past the year 1987(?) which is the cutoff listed in NFPA 1962.......

We test 100' at a time, @ 250 psi for 5 minutes.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

Originally posted by VinnieB
    We test 100' at a time, @ 250 psi for 5 minutes.
    How long does it take you to test all your hose?

On one pumper, we carry about 1000' of 3", which we test 500' at a time. 300 PSI for 5 minutes.

All hose pre-1987 is tested to 250psi. After 1987, all hose should have a pressure labeled somewhere on the hose. If your hose says service test 400psi then you service test it to 400psi. Otherwise you are not actually testing it. The purpose of hose testing is to "ensure that the hose is being maintained in optimum condition. This testing of in-service hose confirms that it is still able to function under maximum pressure during fire fighting or other operations." (Essentials 4th Ed, page 437)

Its like giving a written test and stopping the students halfway through the test. Sure, you gave them some sort of test but you didn't fully test them.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Originally posted by VollieFireman
    On one pumper, we carry about 1000' of 3", which we test 500' at a time. 300 PSI for 5 minutes.
    Okay, while we are on the topic of hose testing...

NFPA 1962 says not to test more than 300' (in a single lay) at a time.

Next quiz question: Anyone know why?
    IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by Adze39

Okay, while we are on the topic of hose testing...

Friction Loss Maybe??
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

No, friction loss only applies to moving water not to a static situation such as hose testing.

All hose pre-1987 is tested to 250psi. After 1987, all hose should have a pressure labeled somewhere on the hose. If your hose says service test 400psi then you service test it to 400psi. Otherwise you are not actually testing it. The purpose of hose testing is to "ensure that the hose is being maintained in optimum condition. This testing of in-service hose confirms that it is still able to function under maximum pressure during fire fighting or other operations." (Essentials 4th Ed, page 437)

Its like giving a written test and stopping the students halfway through the test. Sure, you gave them some sort of test but you didn't fully test them.
    Forgot to mention that if you hose isn't labeled, then you test it to 250psi. If the label came/wore off over time, you would still be able to get the testing pressure if you have decent records of hose tests.
    IACOJ Agitator

Anyone know why?
    You'll always get air in the line, some how or some way. If the air cannot escape, it will just compress and falsify your readings.

Originally posted by VollieFireman

How long does it take you to test all your hose?

It takes about a month to do all the hose.
    IACOJ Member

One needs to be careful about reading the pressure stamped into the hose whether that is test pressure or ultimate(burst)pressure.Most hose mfgs will gladly supply you with the correct test procedure and some list it on their websites.All of our hose (under 4") is tested at 250 for 5 and 300 for three.Weeds out the marginal stuff pretty quick.T.C.

If the air cannot escape, it will just compress and falsify your readings.
    Which would lead to why you have a nozzle or gated valve on the end of the line, to allow that air to escape.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The hose is supposed to be laid out in as straight a line as possible for testing. When you pressurize it, it stretches. I believe I read somewhere that the 300' figure is because over 300', it will bend and twist too much, rather than stretch out somewhat straight as it grows.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

I'm probably wrongm but maybe because it would make it harder to detect where the problem lay? ie, with 1000 feet being tested at once, a problem can be spread over the 10 lengths masking it. with the shorter lay, you will see where the problem is much easier, and identify which lenght has the problem.

probably not right but i figured i would give it a shot.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

There was a thread on the 300 ft. thing a while back. I don't have time to repost what I did there at the moment, but it has to do with the stretch of the hose and potential for injury if there is a burst section.

Flow limiting devices are required for safety as well.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll take a guess here

Probably a safety issue. Less hose means less energy stored in the water under pressure, and less possibility for damage if hose fails.

Forum Member

That would be my guess also, 300' max to control the amount of stored energy if a rupture should occur. Of course it is a general rule but the amount of stored energy in a 300' lay of 1" is no where near the amount of energy stored in a 300' lay of 6"!!!! Does everyone use a flow limiting device? I know that not everyone around me does, of course there are plenty of depts around that don't test hose at all!

Adze, that's what I thought too. The 400 psi is what you tested it at every year. According to the website for the hose manufacturer, our hose has service test of 400 psi and the original manufacturer test was 800 psi..........

As for the 300', I was thinking it's due to the stretch issue. We use a hose tester for all of our testing, except for our 5".........

Originally posted by Bones42
    Which would lead to why you have a nozzle or gated valve on the end of the line, to allow that air to escape.
    Which way does air go? It rises.

What's higher in your setup? The nozzle or the discharge that is filling the line? More than likely it's the discharge. We use a hose tester that sits pretty low to the ground but it is still higher and those who use engines are definately higher.

So yes, you want to use what you said to get the air out but you most likely won't get all the air out.
    IACOJ Agitator

Which way does air go? It rises.

What's higher in your setup? The nozzle or the discharge that is filling the line? More than likely it's the discharge. We use a hose tester that sits pretty low to the ground but it is still higher and those who use engines are definately higher.

So yes, you want to use what you said to get the air out but you most likely won't get all the air out.
    That's why in NFPA 1962 they recommend when you go to bleed out the air, you raise the nozzle above the level of the fill line intake to bleed it out completely.........

Thread Information