Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Chieftan 1910 traditional helmet

Sadly my Cairns N6A1 Sam Houston leather helmet has beeen damaged enough that I had to remove it from service. I do not have the funds at this time to purchase another leather helmet (I may do that in the future when the cash is available). I was at a fire school over the weekend and there were of course vendors there. One of them was clearing out his stock of Chieftan 1910 traditional helmets. The cost was $100. It looks similar to a Cairns 1000.

I am looking for opinions from users of this helmet. I don't need the leather forever crowd giving me the general leather or nothing speech here because I can't afford another leather right now and the only leather I want is another Sammy! I have this on a trial basis and if I don't like it I can send it back. So I am looking for real world experience that can tell me what kind of helmet this really is. By the way, my other choice right now is tactical tupperware!!

Thanks,

FyredUp

Forum Member

I don't know much about the helmet you are seeking to purchase, BUT if you can afford about $180-$225 you can get yourself into a BEN2. This helmet has proven itself VERY reliable. We have been using them since January 2001 and 45 jobs later they are still holding up like new. My understanding from Moring Pride is that many large cities have switched to the Ben2. I can understand why.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

If you can find a cairns 1010, it is a very reliable helmet also.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've had a 1910 for about 18 months. I like it.

Some people on here have had problems with the paint chipping but the 3 of us that have them on my dept. have not seen this issue.

It's a decent helmet, especially for $100.00 and is better than a salad bowl.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

WTFD10...

Thanks for your opinion. I thought for $100 I could hardly pass this up. It will be used at my volly FD and we don't get too many burners a year. Have any of your guys painted these helmets? That is the onoly down side to this purchase, the helmet is yellow and I need it to be black.

As far as the Ben2 I use one at the tech school where I teach. It is a good helmet but if I am going to spend $225 I would just as soon save a little longer and buy a leather.

As far as the Cairns 1010 goes, same as above other than I don't use one to teach with.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FyredUp
    Have any of your guys painted these helmets? That is the onoly down side to this purchase, the helmet is yellow and I need it to be black.
    No, ours were black already.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Have any of your guys painted these helmets? That is the onoly down side to this purchase, the helmet is yellow and I need it to be black.

Yes, I painted mine and stripped the paint off with a citrus based stripper then sanded it. If I remember correctly we used engine paint on it, but don't hold me to that. As far as a opinion on it, I love mine after putting bourkes on it.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

explr985...

Are you saying you used citrus stripper to remove the factory paint or that you painted over the factory paint and then stripped it aq different time?

There was no damage to the helmet using the citrus stripper?

FyredUp

Forum Member

explr985...

Are you saying you used citrus stripper to remove the factory paint or that you painted over the factory paint and then stripped it aq different time?

There was no damage to the helmet using the citrus stripper?
    Yes I used the stripper on the factory paint and there was no damage.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Protective Economist

Originally posted by explr985

Yes I used the stripper on the factory paint and there was no damage.
    THAT YOU COULD SEE. If you apply a different paint to a fiberglass helmet, you risk changing the strength and integrity of the fiberglass (actually, of the resin bonding the fiberglass). That means the helmet might not provide the protection it is designed for.

Also, some helmets now have the color molded into the fiberglass. Removing the paint would leave a similar colored substrate, making a new color even more difficult from a practical standpoint.

In general, it is a bad idea to paint fiberglass or plastic helmets (I don't know enough about leather's properties with paint). Many brands allow you to buy just a new shell at a lower cost than a full helmet.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Thanks explr985...

I guess I am a little hinky about stripping it. I may just rough it up a bit and paint it. I will use either exhaust manifold paint or grill paint to gain some ability to withstand the heat.

firemanjb...

Point noted. I guess I am willing to try and paint this helmet since it will be a stop gap until I can afford another Cairns Leather N6A1 Sam Houston.

As far as working for Bullard... Both of the departments I am involved with have totally removed the salad bowl style of Bullards from service and replaced them with Cairn's 660 series helmets.

FyredUp

Protective Economist

As far as working for Bullard... Both of the departments I am involved with have totally removed the salad bowl style of Bullards from service and replaced them with Cairn's 660 series helmets.
    To each his own. Contemporary helmets are contemporary helmets, for the most part. Each brand has certain advantages.

I just note that I am from Bullard so that no one thinks I am trying to be deceitful or hide anything.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information