Thread: Hazing?

Forum Member

Ok Stretch, I'm really curious now...exactly what would someone do to deserve having a gun shown to him like that?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I think you misunderstood me Bones, let me try again.
    The gun thing was flat out wrong, there's no two ways about it. What I meant about brought it on himself was that for someone to do something that stupid, there must be more to it than we know. As for the other stuff, No I don't think they went too far, but that's just me. Everyday I come to work, besides the firefighting hazards, I know that any day I will probably end up wet, covered in flour and syrup, get the cold water shut off on me in the shower and who knows what else.

Out of all the "rules" ive herd about pranks, there are two key rules that I havent herd yet...

1. What happens at the station STAYS at the station!
    2. Always remember, what goes around COMES around!

Just my two cents if it is worth that much to any one.......

MembersZone Subscriber

The sooner the Fire Service stops acting like a frigging FRAT HOUSE the better.

If you cant see that then you cant see nothing.

When I catch senior FFs acting like Juviniles and hazing rookies that I had to spend many hours recruiting to volunteer as FFs I get Damn Mad.

I have even went so far as to offer to beat some manners and maturity into some of the moron FFs that think its fun to haze a rookie to shame. They decided they didnt want the lesson and the hazing stopped.

I tell the rookies that join up "Dont take crap off of anybody." If you are man enought to volunteer to fight fire then you deserve a measure of respect. Then I tell them "Dont be cocky, listen, learn, and give 110%."

If some jack asses went so far as to drag them naked through the firehall then I would hold the dumb SOB down while the rookie settles the score.

There is a line that you dont cross.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Casieri was taking a shower in the evening when someone...

1: threw two packages of firecrackers into the shower stall with him, according to the statement.

2: He said a pan of cold water was thrown on him, followed by two boxes of baking soda.

3: Powell took pictures of the incident with a disposable camera, the statement said. Casieri said he grabbed a towel to cover himself when he realized he was being photographed.

4: As he tried to wipe his eyes, Casieri said Roseman took the towel from him. He said he then slipped and fell to the floor and Roseman grabbed his ankles and dragged him, naked and on his back, about 25 feet through the bedroom, according to the statement.

The answer for all of this was... the captain replied, "What, you never joked around?" according to the statement.

Then the thing that really gets me is...
    On another occasion, a co-worker drove up next to Casieri, tapped on the window and pointed a handgun in his face and then placed the gun on the passengers seat,

And this is all just a practical joke that went out of control.
    This is in no way a typical "firehouse practical joke" (and I have been on both the recieving and giving ends of many)

This is way beyond "hazing".

This can be construed as sexual harrassment.
    This can be construed as a death threat.

This crap cannot be tolerated...

[size=huge]PERIOD![/size]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

This is in no way a typical "firehouse practical joke" (and I have been on both the recieving and giving ends of many)

This is way beyond "hazing".

This can be construed as sexual harrassment.
    This can be construed as a death threat.

This crap cannot be tolerated...

[size=huge]PERIOD![/size]
    * BANG *.....the sound of the nail being hit right on the head! Bravo!

FIGJAM

I don't know what your laws are over there in the US and other countries on this thread, but over here in Oz, it is a dismissable offence to undertake this sort of stuff in the workplace.

Why is it acceptable to the fire service? I don't go to my workplace expecting to be hazed or to wear the brunt of someones practical joke...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

No no one got hurt

So I guess we don't do anything until someone gets hurt?

This is REALLY bad behavior. It needs a REALLY strong response.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Norfolk, Virginia Firefighter Injured By What Was Intended To Be A Prank

MATTHEW ROY
    Courtesy of The Virginian-Pilot

NORFOLK — A firefighter who was sent to the hospital Monday evening was the victim of a firehouse prank gone wrong, according to a department spokesman.

The prank involved the use of compressed air to blast flour through a tube, said Capt. Garry Windley . The firefighter was injured when the tube blew apart as he held it.

He was “not the one the flour was intended for,” Windley said.

The firefighter was admitted to a hospital for treatment and was released Tuesday evening. Details of his injuries could not be disclosed because of federal law, Windley said.

The incident happened about 5 p.m. Monday at a fire station on Norview Avenue.

At least one neighbor at an apartment complex just behind the station heard what sounded like an explosion. The woman looked out the window of and saw a white substance wafting in the air. In an area behind the station, she saw men covered in powder.

She saw an ambulance take somebody away.

Windley said the incident is under investigation by a safety officer and arson investigators. More department staff must be interviewed, including the injured firefighter, he said.

Asked whether disciplinary action was possible, he said nothing had been determined.

“Once we get all the facts and have all the stuff in front of the chief, we’d have to look at if any policies or procedures were violated,” he said.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Well at least his heart was in the right place. It's the thought that counts. If you're gonna play, be ready to pay. I hate to see what's gonna happen to him, but that's the price we pay. We once had a station get some funnels and put a bunch of flour into the air vents of a cop car (who was using the restroom), then set his AC to high. When he got in and started his car...POOF

Thread Information