• required

49 90.74%
  • optional

3 5.56%
  • think its a good idea to wear them

2 3.70%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question air-pac's on alarm drops

How many departments require there firefighters to wear there airpacks on fire alarm calls.

IACOJ Agitator

We require...you don't know it is false until you get there...
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Required

Required, required, required. You'd really look foolish having to run back out after making an upper floor and finding smoke. Not to mention liability and GROSS NEGLIGENCE, but God forbid somebody (FF or civilian) was seriously injured or killed because you: 1- Didn't go back for SCBA and fought the fire. 2- Went to the fire floor without them and then had to leave. Just doesn't look, sound or feel professional in my book.
    Captain/EMT-P

Forum Member

Ditto..... You wear the pack. Sometimes people become to complacent (sp?) and it will come back to bite them in the ***** one day.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, I agree with everybody else. An alarm is a FIRE until you get there and confirm it's not. Doesn't matter if you go there everyday, this could be the one!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

As with everyone else here. Alarms should be treated as fires until found otherwise.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Adze39
    We require...you don't know it is false until you get there...

Amen To That...I always pack up on Alarm Soundings...Now some of the experianced guys if you will say oh its just a stupid alarm don't need that...Well it will kick them in the ***** someday i'm sure
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

SOG is at least 2 FF's with SCBA on truck for all calls. Officer has discretion to allow members to remove their SCBA if appropriate. When we get called for wires down in the street, I allow my crew to remove their SCBA enroute.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Same Response For Everything.........

A caller stating that the bells are ringing will get the same reaction as the one that says that Fire is blowing out the windows. Everyone suits up, including SCBA, and takes the tools that are assigned for their seat position. The Driver secures the water supply and runs a line(s) to siamese. When a "real" Fire is in progress, an aggressive attack is launched immediately, AS WE ARE READY FOR IT. Your reaction to a drastic change in the situation at hand will be a direct reflection of what you have practiced on the preceding calls, over a period of time. If you practice arriving in T shirts and shorts and lounging at the rear step while the officer wanders up to see what the call was for, then that will be your position when that call for bells turns out to be a Worker. Staying Ahead Is Always Easier Than Catching Up.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me think.....it looks so much more professional to show up to the call and not be ready than being ready
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default INCOMING RANT

Look at the picture of the guy on the front page of FH's website today. Ya, the one of the guy with no gloves, no tool, and no SCBA. Yup, the one with the frantic civilian trying to get thin real quick. Uh uh, the one that the guy DIED.
    Would a tool have knocked the block holding up the AC out and allowed access? Dunno, I wasn't there, but maybe. Would passing the dude a mask have helped by time for the hose crew to snuff the fire or bought time for more guys on other ladders to help pull out the AC? Dunno, I wasn't there, but maybe. Hard to say and YES I KNOW, it is but a snap shot in time but when people ask if you should have an SCBA on for an alarm activation, should you bring a tool in on an alarm activation or odor investigation or even a recent post asking about whether you should be gearing up before getting in the truck or just bring it with you? Come on folks, be ready to go to work when you pull up. NO PPE? No tool? No SCBA? NO EXCUSE.

*deep breath, heavy sigh*
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: INCOMING RANT

Originally posted by FiRsqDvr45
    Look at the picture of the guy on the front page of FH's website today. Ya, the one of the guy with no gloves, no tool, and no SCBA. Yup, the one with the frantic civilian trying to get thin real quick. Uh uh, the one that the guy DIED.
    Would a tool have knocked the block holding up the AC out and allowed access? Dunno, I wasn't there, but maybe. Would passing the dude a mask have helped by time for the hose crew to snuff the fire or bought time for more guys on other ladders to help pull out the AC? Dunno, I wasn't there, but maybe. Hard to say and YES I KNOW, it is but a snap shot in time but when people ask if you should have an SCBA on for an alarm activation, should you bring a tool in on an alarm activation or odor investigation or even a recent post asking about whether you should be gearing up before getting in the truck or just bring it with you? Come on folks, be ready to go to work when you pull up. NO PPE? No tool? No SCBA? NO EXCUSE.

*deep breath, heavy sigh*
    I know this is off topic but what a tough deal that must have been for that department...to have the victim and then lose him. I don't think I would have sent this one in to Firehouse.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Pack up or GO HOME !!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up THANK YOU

I would like to thank you all for your input on this issue, hopefully some members on my department will read this, we have people that are a group of friends that think that they are above and beyond packing up for gas leaks that involve buildings, the smell of smoke in houses, gasoline in the basements of houses and alarm drops, these are the people that are not in it to be a firefighter but to belong to the "club", but they need to join a club that there actions are not going to get citizens and firefighters KILLED so I say DO THE JOB RIGHT OR GO HOME where you belong!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Same Response For Everything.........

Originally posted by hwoods
    A caller stating that the bells are ringing will get the same reaction as the one that says that Fire is blowing out the windows. Everyone suits up, including SCBA, and takes the tools that are assigned for their seat position. The Driver secures the water supply and runs a line(s) to siamese. When a "real" Fire is in progress, an aggressive attack is launched immediately, AS WE ARE READY FOR IT. Your reaction to a drastic change in the situation at hand will be a direct reflection of what you have practiced on the preceding calls, over a period of time. If you practice arriving in T shirts and shorts and lounging at the rear step while the officer wanders up to see what the call was for, then that will be your position when that call for bells turns out to be a Worker. Staying Ahead Is Always Easier Than Catching Up.

Very well put!!! Don't look at is just another alarm. If the alarm turns out to be nothing, you can look at it as a training drill. We can never train too often. We need to drill/train constantly.
    Stay alert and be safe.

Permanently Removed

Default Hmmm...

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Ditto..... You wear the pack. Sometimes people become to complacent (sp?) and it will come back to bite them in the ***** one day.......
    Firenresq77- But does Mini-Me have to wear and SCBA? We
    could just pick him up and carry him in, right?

Forum Member

He has his own......... Made out of a 2-liter bottle.......

MembersZone Subscriber

We were just discussing this topic a couple of days ago down here. There was lots of divided opinion on how we should set up SOP's for automatic alarm response.
    Some suggested that only the officer and 1 other firefighter should go inside and investigate, and the rest of the crew should remain outside with the rig and wait for orders so as they can bring in whatever the officer deems necessary once he/she has sized up the situation.
    My own personal opinion is that the chauffer should remain outside with the rig, while the rest of the crew should go inside, taking with them (depending on crew numbers)
    SCBA's
    Irons
    Can
    Hook
    Highrise pack if applicable
    of course a TIC would be nice - but dreams are free

Second due should remain outside and wait for instructions depending on what the first crew find.

What is everyone else's opinion on this? - I'd appreciate the input as we need to formulate a SOP on this pretty soon. What else do you take in on alarms?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

My own personal opinion is that the chauffer should remain outside with the rig, while the rest of the crew should go inside, taking with them (depending on crew numbers)
    SCBA's
    Irons
    Can
    Hook
    of course a TIC would be nice
    ....personally this is your best bet........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

ALL fires (inside and out), odor/smoke invest's, gas leaks, CO2 alarms and all fire alarms require SCBA. NOT an option. You dont have to be "on air" put you have to wear the SCBA.

Dave

Forum Member

Originally posted by stillPSFB
    We were just discussing this topic a couple of days ago down here. There was lots of divided opinion on how we should set up SOP's for automatic alarm response.
    Some suggested that only the officer and 1 other firefighter should go inside and investigate, and the rest of the crew should remain outside with the rig and wait for orders so as they can bring in whatever the officer deems necessary once he/she has sized up the situation.
    SCBA's
    Irons
    Can
    Hook

Second due should remain outside and wait for instructions depending on what the first crew find.

What is everyone else's opinion on this? - I'd appreciate the input as we need to formulate a SOP on this pretty soon. What else do you take in on alarms?
    Here, county SOP is the entire first due engine crew goes in on a hi-rise. The second due sets up to pump the building system. I dont like it. I think the first due driver operator (chauffers drive limo's ) should supply the system. By having the whole crew go in, your trusting that the fire pump in the building will work if you need it. That's a big "if". I would rather have 3 FF's go in and know I have water then go in with 4 and hope I have it.

On a hi-rise, we take a standpipe pack (200' 2" hose, short section of 3" hose, gatted wye, nozzle, spanners, wrenches) life line rope bag, set of irons, handlight, closet hook and if we think about it spare SCBA bottles. If the DC is on scene before we go in, we grab the TIC as well.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by stillPSFB
    SCBA's
    Irons
    Can
    Hook

Our response depends on our available staffing. The driver always stays with the rig. If we have adequate staffing, then I feel the nozzle firefighter should also stay with the rig so he/she can 1) start stretching the attack line in if it's needed and 2) make sure that somebody from the second due engine doesn't steal your line and your fire

In our department, the officer on the first arriving engine will establish command and remain outside until relieved by a Chief. (I know this is not popular with some forum posters but that is the common ICS SOP in this area.) The most senior firefighter on the crew will be the acting officer inside until the company officer can come in.

Most of the time that makes a total of 3 members staying out and 3 going in. One to go to the alarm panel and two to start investigating the building. Most of our alarm activations are at a nursing home, elementary school or a retail store. We do not have any high rise buildings in our district.

The crew will take in everything Weruj listed and also a sprinkler wedge kit if the building is so equipped.

Second due engine will hook up to the FDC (if there is one) and standby for further instructions.

Squad will also standby or assist with the investigation if ordered.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

FULL PPE!!!

You never know what it is going to be, or what it might turn into unil after you are there or have units on scene. Even after you have units on scene things can change very fast.

Thread Information