View Poll Results: Why Do You Want To Be A Firefighter?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Like The Trendy Uniforms/Gear

1 4.76%
  • I Like The Big Red/Yellow Trucks

0 0%
  • I Want To Give Back To My Community

9 42.86%
  • I Want To Be A Hero

3 14.29%
  • Other (Please Specify In A Reply Post)

8 38.10%

Default Cadets/Explorers : Why Do You Want To Be A Firefighter?

Just wanted to see the mast majority and see what alot of our Cadets/Explorers think. Also if the guys already in departments as full fledged firemen want to put in why they wanted to start that is also welcome.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

Well in a post in the volunteer section of the forums I posted the same thing:

I answered other, for the fact that I dont have one single outlining reason why I want to be a Firefighter. I have several; those several being:

-Family, I am the fourth generation of my family to be a member of my Fire Department, I wanted to carry that on, luckily I enjoy Firefighting immensly so its not like it was a forced thing.
    -As I said, I enjoy Firefighting.
    - I want to protect the community that I am so proud of, that being my family, friends, neighbors, and all the inhabitants of my town.

Those are the basics, I hope this post gets a lot of responses.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Thats basicly my opinion. I want to give back to my community which ive lived my full life in and enjoy dso much. I also enjoy doing it and glad that it gives back to everyone. I also enjoy the responsibility and the respect you get. The best thing though its like a 2nd family. All the guys are always there for you and they are always willing to help you get through a hard time or something. I hope alot more people respond.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

Mainly to give back to the community, but to be able to help the people in the community, make it better for some. I cant put words to some reasons. I have alot of fun interacting with the citizens, mainly the elerly. I allways look forward to riding on ambu or truck. You never know whats gona happen. Your never know who you are going to meet. One reason is that it is amazing that you can bring someone back to life, that I will and am able to do that. I was a community service junkie and I still am. If I could do it, I would work for the FD for no pay.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

HNFC FF/President

I'm a 3rd Generation firefighter, my grandfather (dads side) my father (still is) and my mother were firefighters, so i grew up with that lifestyle.

I also believe that if you expect something from your community, you need to give something in return. I live in a small town, only about 1200 people, but they depend on us showing up when they have a problem.

Alot of people at my high school don't understand why I would do this for no pay, and i tell them "What if volunteer firefighters didn't volunteer?"

Also, I could use the prep for enlisting. "Pick a service, pick a challenge, set yourself apart....ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINES!

Navy Damage Control Baby!
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

both my grandfather's surved in hicksville, ny and my uncle is currently a chief. my aunt and uncle were both paramedics for a dept. in NJ,but i started college as a nurse 2 years ago..

i changed my decision to ff/paramedic after i have been working at my local hospital at nights and i cant stand to see fat nurses (no bad intentions meant). i want a job that gives back, is challanging, and will keep me fit.

ive sat in the ICU for almost 1 and 1/2 and i cant stand to sit around. i feel this is my "calling" from God.

plus, i like the "brother hood" situation b/c i dont like to work alone unless i have too. i think its cool to work as a team and do things on your off time together. ive had brothers and been on sports teams, so it just comes natural.

tom
    Last edited by NYI4LIFE; 08-19-2004 at 04:13 PM.

Firefighting interests me.

I'm the 3rd generation in the family to be in this field. Grew up in "Gramps" station, been exposed since I was a little kid. Only career I've had much exposure too, and the only one I'm interested in.

'Nuff said.

Forum Member

Originally posted by 42VTExplorer
    been exposed since I was a little kid.
    Forgot to mention that, but I think it is implied with having family in the dept.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Back in March of 1987, I was born, and the day I left the hospital, I was taken to the fire house. I was about 2 days old, and my dad was the chief. Seventeen years later, I am still going to the fire house, and will continue to do that until I am not longer able to.

But, that isn't all. I like to be able to help my community, and firefighting is the best way I can. The black trucks probably play a role in my decision to be a firefighter, too.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

Um can we pick more than one? I like it because it helps the community (main reason) also i like the big red truck and the gear... and you learn alot every day, its not something where your sitting in an office all day!
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

MembersZone Subscriber

My mother always told me that i would draw pictures of differant rigs and tell her that they were "daddy's fire trucks", well i figure its in the blood now, thats were im bound to be. I recent did a ridealong and got toned out to a car vs. tree accident and needed to cut the door off. I helped get some equiptment out and started the generator and stuff but honestly it just felt like i belonged there. It was one of the best feelings i ever had. So i can keep giving the retorhical giving back to community and helping and so on, but ultimitly, it is were i belong.

also i like the big red truck and the gear
    If one of the reasons you do it is because you like the BRT and the gear, think about a change.

You shouldn't like the BRT or the gear. One, BRTs shouldn't be needed, ever. Two, you're not trying to make a fashion statement.

HNFC FF/President

yo Explorer, she's just "misguided"

If those are truly the reasons that you joined your local company, you need a brain scan We never want to have to use the trucks...because that means that someone's house is being destroyed by old man fire, and that means that someones life is being destroyed.

Also, you like the gear? Do you like it in the Summer when you lose 10lbs in sweat? Heck, when i had my yellow gear I looked like a giant banana! now with my tan gear...I look like a giant piece of...you know

"I like it because it helps the community (main reason)" Atleast you said that, you like to help your community...very good.

"GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys chill, lets not focus on ripping apart each other and focus a little bit more towards making things a little better. Yes it is true that trucks mean bad things and that gear is hot, but there is that sense of pride you have when you're wearing that gear. It is a token that your working towards or accomplishing something. Every future firefighter that is on a serious course towards accomplishing their goal is doing it for one reason, to sacrifice themself for another....but thats just me.

Quint,

There may be a reason why we are getting a little "grip-and-rip" about certain comments. Look at threads like "gear". You'll see why. It's for the "looks" and not firefighting. I think that's been well established. Look at the L49 thread, it's also about the boys of the post. We're starting to mix a potion for disaster.

I do it because i enjoy helping people in there time of need i mean it makes you feel great inside when someon sends the thatnk you letter to the station after you cut them outta there car or helped there mother who was having a heart attack but mostly its a thankless service and you sometimes find yourself wondering how the persons doing??? so anyway i doi it because i enjoy helping people and if you dont enjoy that then you chose the wrong career field
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Default the obvious reason

cause chicks dig guys in uniform

c'mon, someone had to say it
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

HNFC FF/President

um, yeah Dr...That doesn't seem to be happening here...

"GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah Doc, I'll second that! lol

Being 18 and working in a department with an all-female college in your first due does have it's advantages...

But seriously, I'm in it because I've grown up around the service (I'm 2nd generation) and I feel that it's my calling.

But having the college in my first due at work is a plus too!
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Forum Member

I really don't know why I want to do it... I put to give back to the community, thats part of it, but taht kinda come with the territory., I dk, maybe it was after my grandma died in a house fire when i was 3... she burned to death, and I promised never to let that happen to anyone, the pain and anger my family felt, no one should go through that.. thats the earliest i can reamber me wanting to do it, but my parents say I wanted to do it long be fore that... no one in my family is in the FIre service now, or has been, I have been on the fence between Fire Services and Police Services, but I have always wanted to do fire... kinda just called to me... ya know?

Thread Information