Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Defiance: Not enough Council votes?!

How do you not have enough votes to put this issue on the ballot? The only jobs that should be too late to be spared are the city council members!

Good luck brothers, hope it works out for you...

Defiance Losing a Dozen Emergency Workers

City council did not have enough votes to put a tax hike levy on the November ballot

An income tax could have saved Police and Firefighters in Defiance but voters won't get the chance to spend more to save jobs. In a special meeting, the city council did not have enough votes to put a tax hike levy on the November ballot. That same income tax levy failed at the ballot box two weeks ago. No other options have been presented. Now, more than a dozen firefighters, police dispatchers and other emergency workers will likely lose their jobs. Defiance council says it may bring up the levy again in February but it'll be too late to spare the jobs.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/news/defiancecuts.html
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

How do you not have enough votes to put this issue on the ballot? The only jobs that should be too late to be spared are the city council members!
    Kind of sounds like the Northwood city council and Mayor. They barely, (tie vote, broken by the Mayor) passed putting ours on the ballot. Then some of them, (including the Mayor) went out and told people not to vote for it!

They forget we protect their homes and lives....we do know where they live
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Actually this same thing did happen once before in Northwood, but nobody's job was on the line for us. Council didn't even want to put it on the ballot to let the people make a decision (who they are supposed to represent)

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all sorry for the long response to firenresq77 I vol. in the Defiance area and ft. in the Findlay area.

As for the post. The voters in Defiance told council they would support the levy if it was a fire and police tax. The tax went on the ballot as general fund and voters would not write a blank check so to speak. Admin. was not going to put tax back on the ballot and council ended up 1 vote short trying to get it back on.

Defiance fire union also messed up by remaining netural on the tax as a group. By this failing they will lose 5 full time and 10 partpaid postion. This is going to mean that all vol. depts. around Defiance will be used to help the city while also trying to cover their on area. Could get very interesting.

Also the Defiance PD lost 4 full time and 3 part time dispatchers and now all communications will be thruogh the County E-911 center. One of the potential problems with this is the PD was the backup for the county 911 center.

I hope they get the tax passed soon and will keep you updated as things happen.

Originally posted by ftvolffpara
    First of all sorry for the long response to firenresq77 I vol. in the Defiance area and ft. in the Findlay area.

As for the post. The voters in Defiance told council they would support the levy if it was a fire and police tax. The tax went on the ballot as general fund and voters would not write a blank check so to speak. Admin. was not going to put tax back on the ballot and council ended up 1 vote short trying to get it back on.

Defiance fire union also messed up by remaining netural on the tax as a group. By this failing they will lose 5 full time and 10 partpaid postion. This is going to mean that all vol. depts. around Defiance will be used to help the city while also trying to cover their on area. Could get very interesting.

Also the Defiance PD lost 4 full time and 3 part time dispatchers and now all communications will be thruogh the County E-911 center. One of the potential problems with this is the PD was the backup for the county 911 center.

I hope they get the tax passed soon and will keep you updated as things happen.
    Good luck. I hope things end up working out for you guys.......... Keep us updated........

I cant beleieve that the union was neutral on something that could have helped themselves? I can also understand the fact that teh general public wanted to know where the cash was going before voting .........I hope it all gets resloved, rstandi was just there yesterday in refernce to some field guides, it doesnt sound good at all.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information