Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Night and day?

I thought I would ask the question I might sound stupid for asking but I do not care. As you all know I am working towards my certs both EMT and Fire certs all I can think of is becoming a fireman. Is this normal? I am just wondering if anyone else feels this way either veterans or rookies or people in my same situation just getting started. Thanks for your time. I have to say that I am also very excited at pursuing my new career path.

Zach

Default Re: Fire Night and day?

Originally posted by balzac06
    I thought I would ask the question I might sound stupid for asking but I do not care.
    If you have a question, ask it. You might need to know the answer some day.
    As you all know I am working towards my certs both EMT and Fire certs
    Didn't know that. Good luck to ya.
    all I can think of is becoming a fireman. Is this normal? I am just wondering if anyone else feels this way either veterans or rookies or people in my same situation just getting started.
    If you've identified a goal for yourself -- in this case, being a firefighter -- then there is no shame in keeping your focus on that goal. Give it your all, do what it takes and you'll find success.

However, you'll eventually realize that you need a bit more balance. It's unhealthy to have only one interest in life whether that be firefighting, knitting or kite flying. It's important to be a well-rounded person.
    Last edited by cozmosis; 08-20-2004 at 03:13 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Know The Feeling..............

I can't remember when I DIDN'T want to be a Fireman. Yeah, Fireman. Politically Correct hadn't been invented yet. Today, Almost 47 years after being voted into The VFD, I still want to be a Firefighter. Yes, you need something else in life, in my case it's Bass Fishing. I don't see myself losing interest in either one for at least another 100 years.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I am in the same boat as hwoods (pun partially intended, see next paragraph). Where I spent my first 6 years, they are still firemen, because I am pretty sure there isn't a single female firefighter in the area.

I have many things that I enjoy doing outside of firefighting, like fishing, working on cars, driving, and the list goes on. You always need to be able to have something to go to when you are in need of a break from firefighting, like after a fatal fire or accident.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

I myself am working towards fire fighting w/ my path looking like this:
    1)EMS SCHOOL (EMT-PARAMEDIC IN 4 SEMESTERS) with volunteering at nights

2)still working weekends at local hospital as a CNA on fri,sat,and sun. while living a married life (my normal job)

3)2007-FIRE COLLEGE! ! !

wife works days at lowes till 10 at night, so i gotta do something to keep myself busy.

if all goes well, i should enter fire college with 2 years of volunteering under my belt PLUS newly cert. Paramedic license

want it bad enough, you'll get it.

my other activites..hockey, nascar, wife, and most importantly GOD!
    Last edited by NYI4LIFE; 08-21-2004 at 12:41 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Cool

It all started for me when my dad took me to the fire station when I was 8 months old. I know this because of the picture my dad has of him changing my diaper on the back of an old engine. Thank god the department (same volunteer department I know volunteer for) got rid of that truck....LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

I want to thank everybody for their response I have several hobbies to include running Triathlons and adventure races but I am very focused on becoming a firefighter.

Zach

Default Two Types

From what I have scene, there are two types: Ones who it is family and are brought in on the next generation. The others are ones who somehow get attracted to the stuff. Does'nt matter what boat ur in, were all in it together. Myself, I'm fourth generation. GOOD LUCK AND STAY LOW
    Jason
    Paid Professional Firefighter/ EMT
    Department Computer Administrator
    City of Beacon, NY Fire Department (IAFF Local 3490)

http://www.BeaconFD.org (Department's Website)
    http://www.BeaconCareerFirefighters.o rg (Job's Union Site)

I can't remember when I DIDN'T want to be a Fireman. Yeah, Fireman. Politically Correct hadn't been invented yet. Today, Almost 47 years after being voted into The VFD, I still want to be a Firefighter. Yes, you need something else in life, in my case it's Bass Fishing. I don't see myself losing interest in either one for at least another 100 years.
    You sure you never got to shovel coal on the railroad?

*Snickers* I know you're a railbuff. Hehehehe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Shoot....I'm not really sure if life exists outside of the big rollup doors! Well, OK, maybe a lil' bit! My particular deal is motocross. That and/or hunting, camping, etc. That's just enough to help keep me refreshed about life on the red trucks.....

I can't imagine being a really GOOD fireman if you're not especially enthused about the job.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

This is great. Every now and then there is a post that reminds you you're not the only crazy one out there. I'm 10 years into my fire service career and don't really see it ever going away. It frustrates the crap out of me from time to time, but it sure isn't going away!

It was sort of funny when I moved several years ago the thing that bothered me the most was having to change depts and leaving the guys... the heck with the home I was moving from (as long as the family was going with me that would be business as usual with a diff. address) I was stressed over the FD change. To add to it when I did move I was listening to the scanner while unpacking, hanging pictures, blah... blah... in the new house when I heard what would become my new dept get toned for a call. Jumped in the car and headed to station and waited for them to return so I could get an application...

Jeez, you know as I read what I typed I realize that maybe my wife is right I only get excited for 'bells and whistles' I keep telling her she's wrong I get excited for Q-sirens as well but maybe she's right!?!?

So to get back to the question... no it is not strange to think about your goal of being a firefighter non-stop. Just remember 2 things... Number 1: have a hobby/interest that you can get away to(fishing was mentioned, golf...) doesn't matter but have something. There will come a call or day where you need to get away for a break. Number 2: Be sure not to cross that line from excited, focused, etc into 'wacker'-ville!! (roughly translated as 'strobe lights, lightbars and your personal vehicle')

Thread Information