Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default 5 ton 6x6 fire truck pictures

Our department is getting 2 5 ton 6x6 semi tractors from the Forestry service. I am looking for some pictures of different trucks that have been built on the army 6x6's. Wanting to build 1000 gallon brush/tanker trucks. Newton dump valves, 18hp waterous pumps, hose beds, drop tanks and ladder racks. Have looked at Silver City, OK site, but would like some more pictures. These are the first forestry trucks we have got. I have seen enough pictures to know that the possiblities are limitless. I just need some pictures to show the rest of the guys that we can do it. The tractors we got are the Cummins diesel models.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

The 18hp Waterous pump is a common and good pump, but you may want to look into a small diesel. You can get more gpm and psi, and plumb it right into the truck's fuel system.

Yes, there are many possibilities, but be cautious not to overload the truck

Here is a website that may offer you some ideas as well

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a picture of a 6x6 we use for brush fires. We use a diesel pump and a foam injection system. There are two pre-connect 1" and 3/4 lines and 4 1" booster lines with an additional 200' on a reel. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by donprin345; 10-27-2005 at 03:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Visit www. steelsoldiers.com and www.usa6x6.com for some ideas relevant to your chassis mods and maintenance. 1st hot ticket is to put supersingles on it as with the new M923 series 5T. You can get the tires you need and with some legwork the wheels.

Do you have operator and maintenance manuals? Need/should get this ASAP. Do you have M52/M52A1/M52A2 or M818/M818A1 or M931/M931A1/M932A2/M932/M932A1/M932A2 and I'll send you a link for online manuals (M

Everything else you could want regarding conversion (including blueprints) is at www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com (Michigan Forestry)

For FEPP (the source of your trucks) success stories at http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/f...s/success.html

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Here's the 2.5 ton that I built for our FD.

Wren 2.5 Ton 6 X 6
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Just out of curiousity , and only out of curiousity, does anyone run one of these rigs as there one and only ,piece of apparatus?

Default L.I. Stump Jumpers

This is a link to the company building 6x6 brush trucks on Long Island.

Brush Trucks

They did the Brookhaven truck posted here.

Stay Safe

Forum Member 1500chief@sbcglobal.net's Avatar

Default 5 Ton

We use a 5-Ton for a tanker. We have a 2750 gallon tank and a 10" electric dump valve. We are preparing to install a hale pump. There are pictures available on my website.

http://www.triplesrescuecarts.com/

Our tanker is a 1984 GMC with Auto transmission, Power steering and air breaks. We love it. It has performed very well for us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XCAPT1
    This is a link to the company building 6x6 brush trucks on Long Island.

Brush Trucks

They did the Brookhaven truck posted here.

Stay Safe

Chivvis does good work, but there is also another co out in westhampton beach,LI that makes similar stump jumpers as chivvis..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bushmaster
    Just out of curiousity , and only out of curiousity, does anyone run one of these rigs as there one and only ,piece of apparatus?
    The US Army ran the 530 series from late in WW2 well into the 80's, the 530 was based on a 2.5 ton and later a 5 ton truck.

This is a later model based on the 5 ton truck, it is a 530C the crash truck version of the 530 series

pwrstrkinsmketr

What is the name of the company out there? Shunk was out there but they went under a couple of years ago. ITFD's truck is half thiers and half Chivvis.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Update on Forestry trucks:

We finished the trucks. They have 1100 gallon ss tanks with dump valves. 20hp hale pump. Two tank fills and a stainless steel manifold. They have dump tank drop boxes on the passengers side. They hold 1500 gallon tanks. We have two of these that are identical. The other picture is of one of our two new interface engines. 750gpm pto pump and roll pumps, front mount nozzles, 1100 gallon tanks. Thes are on 2005 International 4x4 automatics. Received a grant for these two. They will be done sometime in February/March. 6x6 will tender the new trucks at structure fires. This project has been several years in the making.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NCKSFIRE; 12-23-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Forum Member

I'll have to get a different picture of the Forestry truck. The file is too large.
    Last edited by NCKSFIRE; 12-23-2005 at 10:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NCKSFIRE
    I'll have to get a different picture of the Forestry truck. The file is too large.
    I'd like to see some photos of your 5t conversions. Working on a dog/pony show for Iowa Leg in attempt to get some funding for the FEPP program in Iowa.

Forum Member

You can check out our deuce at www.tarkingtonvfd.com. It has yet to be painted, so it isn't the prettiest thing around, but it gets the job done. We went with a Honda-powered pump over the diesels due to cost. We also went with a slightly higher pressure at the expense of volume. It has a Blizzard Wizzard around-the-pump foam system. The unique thing about this truck is the pump is between the cab and the tank, and all pump controls are between the seats in the cab.

Forum Member

Default I built my own Type II Tender to contract with

Quote Originally Posted by NCKSFIRE
    Our department is getting 2 5 ton 6x6 semi tractors from the Forestry service. I am looking for some pictures of different trucks that have been built on the army 6x6's. Wanting to build 1000 gallon brush/tanker trucks. Newton dump valves, 18hp waterous pumps, hose beds, drop tanks and ladder racks. Have looked at Silver City, OK site, but would like some more pictures. These are the first forestry trucks we have got. I have seen enough pictures to know that the possiblities are limitless. I just need some pictures to show the rest of the guys that we can do it. The tractors we got are the Cummins diesel models.
    Mine is a Type II 2,500 gal Tender. It is a 1994 COE Freightliner not a 6X6 but it can haul some water with the 435HP Cat 3406 Engine in it. I built the whole Tender myself at home so it is designed the way I wanted. Since I built one befor I made some changes this time. Not sure if this picture will show up since it is my first post here. Mark

http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/1...ER%20DONE2.JPG

Forum Member

Default tender6

hey that a good looking tender.. do you get it out on the line much

Forum Member

Default Brand New waiting for 2006 Season!

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    hey that a good looking tender.. do you get it out on the line much
    Just finished this one over the winter. I got my last one out for the last 2 years but 2006 will be it maiden voyage on this one. Looking forward to using it. Darn snow is making it hard to do touch up things but I keep working stocking it and doing little things to it. Here is a link to my photo site building it. I got my hose reel mounted now and a bunch of other stuff. I was able to test out the pumps befor it froze here and it can move some water! Mark

http://imageevent.com/willy/1993freightliner

Forum Member

Default I am a Wildland VFD Fire Fighter also

Quote Originally Posted by TenderR6
    Just finished this one over the winter. I got my last one out for the last 2 years but 2006 will be it maiden voyage on this one. Looking forward to using it. Darn snow is making it hard to do touch up things but I keep working stocking it and doing little things to it. Here is a link to my photo site building it. I got my hose reel mounted now and a bunch of other stuff. I was able to test out the pumps befor it froze here and it can move some water! Mark

http://imageevent.com/willy/1993freightliner
    I forgot I have been fighting wildland fires in Okanogan, Washington for 10 years now. We seem to get our share during the season! I live outside of Okanogan on the Colville Reservation. The Virgina Lk Complex Fire was in my back yard it burned 9 of my neibors homes and 35 of my 40 acres but no buildings. I am very FireSafe around my home! Mark

Forum Member

Default wildland engine

i was born and raised in washington state. ex r6 firefighter and engine boss.also r5 and r3. ... worked in the mt baker and mt rainer. also the kaiba in az

Thread Information