Forum Member

Default glasses and SCBA

I wear glasses and so as a result cant put on my SCBA mask on top of them. When i get to a fire scene, I have to take them off, and try and find a safe place for them. I'm not really blind, but just about everything more than 5 feet away is blurred, and i dont want my "vision Impairment" to risk the lives of any of my fellow firefighters. other than getting contacts is there any other solutions? thanks for the help.

Stay safe

Forum Member

This topic has been discussed here MANY times. To learn more than I could possibly fit in this space, go to the search function at the left of your screen and type "glasses."

BTW, you need a spectacle kit for your SCBA mask.

Forum Member

what he said. keep in mind that you don't always need your mask on. and most of the times when you do need your mask on, you can't see anything anway (even if you have perfect vision). keep a hard case for your glasses in your gear, and good luck on the spectile kit
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

My vision begins to blur at about 4 to 5 feet out, also.
    I've just learned to live with it when on scene. I just try to be a bit more cautious when walking about.
    I never liked the glasses for masks.

Forum Member

Talking

If you use scott, they have a great insesrt that you take to your eye doctor / glasses people, snaps right into the facepiece, works great.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

ah tank you boys ............search is you friend .....I finally broke down and got the surgery......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

If anyone wears contacts...at night when you take them out do you put them back in when your toned out or what do you do? Thanks

Forum Member

Originally posted by Quint31Jumper
    If anyone wears contacts...at night when you take them out do you put them back in when your toned out or what do you do? Thanks
    Again, do a search. There have been many replies to posts like these in the past. Your question may be answered in there. If not, post in that thread.........

For what it's worth, many people will put their contacts in, others will stick with their glasses, and yet others don't take them out at night........

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Quint31Jumper
    I wear contact lenses that I'm supposed to take out every night. I'm still experimenting with taking them out or leaving them in when I work night shifts. I'm not supposed to leave them in over night, but it's so convenient to be able to just wake up and go when a call comes in. I know a guy who wears extended wear contact lenses and he can leave his contacts in for like a week straight. Unfortunately, I have an astigmatism, and they don't make extended wear contact lenses for people with astigmatisms yet. I think when I go for my next eye exam I'm going to discuss laser surgery with my optomatrist.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ironmint

I wear contact lenses that I'm supposed to take out every night. I'm still experimenting with taking them out or leaving them in when I work night shifts. I'm not supposed to leave them in over night, but it's so convenient to be able to just wake up and go when a call comes in. I know a guy who wears extended wear contact lenses and he can leave his contacts in for like a week straight. Unfortunately, I have an astigmatism, and they don't make extended wear contact lenses for people with astigmatisms yet. I think when I go for my next eye exam I'm going to discuss laser surgery with my optomatrist.
    They do make disposable contacts for astigmatisms........ I have them....... Unless your is just a lot worse than mine........

Thread Information