Forum Member

Default Kennedy: I Landed On Terror Watch List

August 20, 2004 -- WASHINGTON Sen. Ted Kennedy revealed yesterday that he was stuck in a "no fly" zone earlier this year after his name landed on a terrorist watch list kept by the Transportation Security Administration.
    Kennedy said he first learned he was barred from the skies by the government when he tried to board a Washington flight to Boston in April.

The ticket agent for a U.S. Airways shuttle from Washington's Reagan National Airport wouldn't let him on the flight, and told him, "We can't tell you why," Kennedy recounted at a congressional hearing yesterday.

After confronting a supervisor, the blustery pol, who has been a senator since 1962, was ultimately allowed to board the hour-long flight.

Kennedy said he initially dismissed the incident and assumed it was the result of an error by his staff until he encountered the same problem coming back to Washington.

"I've been getting on this plane for 42 years. Why can't I get on the plane back to Washington?" he asked gate agents. Kennedy added, "It happened three more times and [Homeland Security Secretary Tom] Ridge called to apologize."

The Massachusetts Democrat said it took several phone calls over a few weeks before the clerical error was cleared up and he again became an airline commuter in good standing.

Kennedy revealed the flying fiasco during the Senate Judiciary Committee's homeland-security hearing yesterday.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) couldn't resist a wisecrack, calling it a "conspiracy to keep Sen. Kennedy from getting where he wants to go."

Homeland Security Undersecretary Asa Hutchison, at the hearing, said the flap illustrates the "importance of improving the system."

A smiling Hutchinson also extended an apology, which prompted Hatch to say an apology shouldn't come with a grin.

Maybe it wasn't an accident.....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

"August 20, 2004 -- WASHINGTON Sen. Ted Kennedy revealed yesterday that he was stuck in a "no fly" zone earlier this year after his name landed on a terrorist watch list kept by the Transportation Security Administration."

And its about time. Kennedy has been a crook for years. The sad part is they caved and let him on the plane. He taught us years ago that he can't drive. (at least by rivers)

Forum Member

Maybe it was an old IRA list.

MembersZone Subscriber

My sources tell me it has more to dowith weight restrictions.

Forum Member

Alcohol vapors creating an explosive atmosphere?

MembersZone Subscriber

Kennedy: I Landed On Terror Watch List
    It fits. He sure scares me.

Forum Member

Ha Ha.......... When i first saw this title, I thought this was going to be about the scat that FFjery is spewing about 9-11...........

Forum Member

Note that he said he should not be on the list, but he has not said that he is not a terrorist?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information