Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apparently some people actually LIKE slime-lime....

From the Front Page.........

Colorado Town Loves Its' Green Firetrucks; Plans To Switch To Red Ignites Controversy

Bonnie Benjamin Skopinski
    Courtesy of The Canyon Courier

Red or green? No not chile on huevos - fire trucks.

Ever since the Evergreen Fire Protection District Board purchased five new trucks and ordered them in red, then announced plans to slowly convert the entire fleet from green to red, grumbling has been heard.

Green is traditional for Evergreen, say green advocates. It's been that way for more than 20 years. Ever green, get it?

District board president Phil Shanley laughed.

He means no disrespect, he said, but is surprised the change caused a local stir. "I'd love to hear directly from the parties concerned about this."

Residents who see green as emblematic of Evergreen might be surprised to learn that the community's fire trucks were white until the late 1970s.

A former chief convinced the board to change to green, having read a study that said it was the most visible color, Shanley said.

Lights, sirens, the reflective strips on the trucks, not color, are what make people notice a fire truck, in his opinion.

The board has wanted to change the color of its trucks from fluorescent green to old-fashioned red for a long time, he said.

Although the volunteers weren't part of the vote on the color change, they agreed with the switch, Chief Joel Janov said.

Purchase of the new trucks provided a good opportunity to begin the change, district administrator Tom Hayden said.

From now on, if a truck is replaced or sustains damage that requires repainting, it will be red. In the meantime, budget permitting, the district will repaint one or two of its remaining 20 vehicles each year, he said.

A paint job for a relatively small vehicle like an ambulance costs about $2,600, for a large vehicle, the price is about $4,000. These are just estimates, and no bond money will be used, Hayden emphasized. The money will come from the general budget.

"The management of the district recognizes the color of the vehicle that shows up at your emergency is of little importance to the person who calls 911," Hayden said.

Other public service departments - Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, Colorado State Patrol, county Road and Bridge Department - have changed logo or colors without a word from residents, he noted.

"I'm pleased with the concern that people have voiced concern over the color; (it means) they take pride in the fire department."

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

hummmm. Were you thinking of me when you posted this??

Maybe since Bag-o-donuts left you guys can get out some RED paint ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by PFD109NFD107
    hummmm. Were you thinking of me when you posted this??
    Of COURSE I was!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Maybe since Bag-o-donuts left you guys can get out some RED paint ?
    That was already said in another thread......... Or in the infamous words of some goof........

Pardon me sir, but I believe we are all over here
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=62086

GO ___________ YOURSELF >............thats total BS......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by Weruj1
    GO ___________ YOURSELF >............thats total BS......
    Nope........ not BS........ Just plain FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, you want me to go ___ myself, like you said you did earlier??????? I have witnesses.........

Forum Member

Hey, I'm proud of our slime-lime trucks, you get used to them. They can tell its us at a brush fire, and they know to look for the green machine.

Forum Member

Yeah, it is that way for us, as well. Kinda hard to not notice the black trucks, and everyone in the area knows who it is.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Same Here..................

People ask Why are your Fire Trucks Yellow?? My answer "who else has Yellow?" Citizen: Nobody that I know of. Me: "Exactly". The Yellow is now Black over Yellow, Chicago style. Point is, like the gentleman from FDMH says, "everyone in the area knows who it is".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Default Red is IN

There are many traditions in the fire service, one of which is red fire trucks....ENOUGH SAID, have a good day....LOL

Honestly, in the final analysis, who cares what color the truck is? As long as it gets me there fast, safely, and continues to run efficiently to keep my line charged when the flames are rolling, it could be brown primer or stainless steel with fashionable weld marks for all I care....

I'm sure the public doesn't give a hoot in hell about whether a red, yellow, green, black, orange, or transparent fire truck shows up, as long as it does it part to extinquish the fire in their house.

Plus we all know that black over red Chicago style is the way it should be done

Originally posted by SpartanGuy
    I'm sure the public doesn't give a hoot in hell about whether a red, yellow, green, black, orange, or transparent fire truck shows up, as long as it does it part to extinquish the fire in their house.

You may be on to something there, Im sure all the engineers, with a side mount pump panel would KILL for a transparent truck!!!!
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

MembersZone Subscriber

I have always been partial to primer grey.

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as you show up in RED suspenders!

Cheffie

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by COFire
    You may be on to something there, Im sure all the engineers, with a side mount pump panel would KILL for a transparent truck!!!!
    YA GOT THAT ONE STRAIGHT!! or at least a transparent side panel to see where the heck everyone else is, and a camera to view the water supply on the opposite side would be wonderful too.

As for colour? Well thats all pretty much a matter of semantics. If the locals are accustomed to seeing a BLUE TRUCK with PURPLE POLK-A-DOTS then that is what they will recognize as Emergency Apparatus.

Around here, we have the usual red paint, but the City of Victoria is that puke green/yellow, Colwood is WHITE and Sidney is black with a wide dark red stripe. So go figure eh. Seems to me the colour of the apparatus is pretty much whatever made the crank spin that turns the impellor for the citizens of that particular area when they first desginated what would be "Emergency Appatatus", and what colour it would be.

On the topic of suspenders..... mmmmm other than whats on my bunkers, I "don't wear any"........................... {but they are red, of course}
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 08-23-2004 at 11:29 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Once upon a time Marion, Ohio had gray apparatus. Everyone's fantasy has been fullfilled somewhere if you look in enough places. Even in good ole GB.

Forum Member

When I toured the E-One plant they were in the process of painting one pink. I had to ask and it is going to the Mary Kay Cosemetics company in the Dallas area. I'm glad I work for a department that believes in Red and white over red trucks.New Chiefs car will be all white.

All truck are fire trucks as long as it hauls water or ladders.......

AND ITS RED
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Default Red...

I have to say I'm a RED fire truck type of guy. BUT, I have
    seen some bright lime and think they are ok. I also think
    that they have to have some sort of safety advantage.

There is one department in Northern Nevada that really
    wants to be different and painted their apparatus baby
    blue. I almost wanted to throw up when I saw it. The
    reason- To be different that everyone one else. I can
    think of better ways to stand out.

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-23-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Apparently some people actually LIKE slime-lime....
    Yup... and I'm one of them....

As long as it is only a State Dept. of Transportation truck we are talking about!

Thread Information