Thread: Uh-Oh.......

Forum Member

Default Uh-Oh.......

Article from FH.com

Two Veteran Bronx Firefighters Suspended in Sex Scandal
    Officials Say Firefighter Met Bipolar Victim Online

WILLIAM K. RASHBAUM
    The New York Times, Reprinted with Permission

NEW YORK -- Two veteran firefighters were suspended without pay yesterday after they admitted having had sex with a woman in their Bronx firehouse while on duty, Fire Department officials said.

Nine other firefighters and three supervisors were assigned to administrative duties as a result of the matter.

The suspensions came in the latest and perhaps most lurid controversy in a department that has seemed to be lurching from scandal to scandal in recent months. The two firefighters acknowledged having sex with the 34-year-old woman when she visited one of them early yesterday at the firehouse on Walton Avenue in University Heights, police and fire officials said.

The woman, who had met one of the firefighters on the Internet, returned to her Staten Island home about 6 a.m., called for an ambulance and said she had been raped, the authorities said. The accusation transformed the two-story tan-and-brown firehouse - known as Animal House - into a crime scene: the street outside was choked with marked and unmarked police vehicles and blocked off with yellow tape, and a steady procession of detectives and police brass shuttled in and out of the building throughout the day.

Faced with the woman's accusation, the firefighters said the sex had been consensual, officials said. Extensive interviews with the men and with the woman, who suffers from bipolar disorder, led the police, investigators from the city's Department of Investigation and prosecutors to determine that no criminal charges would be brought, a law enforcement official said.

Department officials last night were investigating whether two other firefighters may have had sex with the woman as well.

Even though they do not face criminal charges, the two suspended firefighters, Tony Deluca, 34, and Christian Waugh, 30, face departmental charges for admitting the woman to the firehouse and having sex with her there, and their supervisors - including a battalion chief - could face discipline and transfer, Fire Department officials said.

Over the last year, the department has been besieged by a string of embarrassing - and at times criminal - encounters ranging from a drunken firehouse brawl on Staten Island on New Year's Eve, when a firefighter was bashed in the head with a metal folding chair, to a series of high-profile cases involving on-duty drinking and drug use. The episodes prompted Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta to issue a tough policy on alcohol and to institute random drug testing, which began this week.

Within the department, even those who noted that the firefighters had claimed the sex was consensual said they were nonetheless astounded by the poor judgment and reckless behavior exhibited by the men.

In addition to suspending Firefighter Deluca - who had developed an Internet relationship with the woman and met her in person for the first time early yesterday - and Firefighter Waugh, Commissioner Scoppetta took the house's engine and truck out of service for most of the day so the investigation could proceed, officials said.

He also reassigned to administrative duties the other nine firefighters who work on the engine and truck, as well as the lieutenant, captain and battalion chief. During the day, their firefighting duties were handled by firehouses nearby.

In a statement, the Fire Department said its Bureau of Investigations and Trials, along with fire marshals, were working with the Police Department and the city's Department of Investigation to investigate the accusations.

"These are very serious allegations," the statement said.

The encounter began after the woman, who had also been in contact with Firefighter Deluca by telephone, called him late Thursday or early Friday and told him she was lonely, one official who had been briefed on the investigation said. Firefighter Deluca told her to come to the firehouse and let her in through a side door, the official said.

The two then had sex in the firehouse, and then Firefighter Waugh had sex with the woman, the official said. She returned to Staten Island, and called 911 for an ambulance, the official said. While she told investigators she had had consensual sex with Firefighter Deluca, she said that she had then been raped by three other firefighters in succession, the official said.

But the interviews and investigation led police officials and prosecutors to conclude that no crime had occurred, one law enforcement official said. "They did extensive interviews with prosecutors and they can't see criminality," the official said. "It just doesn't match up."

The official said the police would assist the administrative investigation by the Department of Investigation and internal Fire Department investigators. Yesterday, everyone in the firehouse at the time of the incident was tested for drugs, but the results were not available last night, an official said.

Lawyers for Firefighter Deluca and Firefighter Waugh, who have been in the department for nearly eight and nine years respectively, could not be reached for comment last night. Both men are married, a department official said.

Neither man has a record of serious disciplinary infractions, a department official said. One of them, Firefighter Waugh, comes from what was described as a solid firefighting family. His father helped carry the body of Father Mychal Judge, the department's chaplain, from the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

A spokesman for the Uniformed Firefighters Association, Tom Butler, said the union would have no comment. "This is an investigation of personal conduct, and individuals are being represented by their own attorneys," he said.

From The New York Times on the Web (c) The New York Times Company. Reprinted with Permission.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Time To Stop That Activity...............

These stories are a clear indication that it's past time to shut down the internet! Seriously, this type of activity has been going on since before Firehouses were invented, and, human nature being what it is, it will not be ending in our lifetimes. If the truth be known, there may have been more of this back when Firefighters were on continously, with only one day per week off.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Whether this sort of "activity" has gone on in days gone by when firefighters more or less lived in their stations, I can't see how modern day values, regulations and expected behaviour by firefighters in the year 2004 possibly be condoned as somthing which will carry on past our lifetimes.

As has been seen in the report the perils of mixing "business" with "pleasure" are massive and mud sticks, in this case I think it will stick very, very badly.

P.S. the Internet has got nothing to do with this story, which would have got out in any case and regardless of the fact the police are taking no action, the lawyers will be circling the prey anyway.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seriously, this type of activity has been going on since before Firehouses were invented, and, human nature being what it is, it will not be ending in our lifetimes.
    And is isn't limited to big city firehouses. Last year, we had to do some renovation to accomodate our new cascade system. Removed a section of wall and found several very old polaroids that were very obviously not for public distribution.

Fortunately, apparently no current members were involved. If they had been, I might have been forced to move. The flashbacks would be too much every time we ran a call.

Forum Member

I think people just need to grow the heck up! Act like the mature, responsible adult you are supposed to be and expect to be treated as. Sad thing is these two twits (if guilty) were just plain stupid, affected their careers, endangered the careers of 9 other guys, a lieutenant, a captain, and a Battalion Chief. All so they could bust a nut and get their rocks off.

I know this is not the first time, won't be the last time, but it is still childish, immature, and irresponsible. This, in combination with the actions over the past year do not exactly help the image of the FDNY especially in a time when they are fighting for a contract to get signed. Why would I want to give you more money if you don't seem to be deserving of it? These twits couldn't wait a few more hours to get off shift before they have sex?

I may be an old fashioned prude but this is rediculous.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

what's the big deal?
    police, investigators from the city's Department of Investigation and prosecutors to determine that no criminal charges would be brought, a law enforcement official said....But the interviews and investigation led police officials and prosecutors to conclude that no crime had occurred, one law enforcement official said. "They did extensive interviews with prosecutors and they can't see criminality," the official said. "It just doesn't match up."
    that means there was no crime. this woman cried rape (not sure why), and had consentual sex with the firefighters. did it affect their job performance? no. was anyone else affected by this act (with the exception of those directly involved)? no.

hate to break this to you, but people have been having sex in both firehouses and fire trucks since before anyone here started. has anyone ever heard of someone "christening" a fire truck or ambulance? It's not exactly our proudest image, but it does happen. and I'm sure some police officers have gotten frisky with their sig others in their new patrol car.

These were two (and maybe 5) responsible adults who CONSENTED. Then this lady cries rape, causes a huge investigation (by both fire officials and police), and the end result is that they all agree that no crime took place. while I don't agree with what they did, it wasn't illegal, it was only immoral because they were married, and it didn't affect anyone else except those who were directly involved. I, personally, am more irritated that woman consented to these acts, then got second thoughts after the fact and cried rape, and now the careers of the entire firehouse is in jeopardy
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    what's the big deal? that means there was no crime. this woman cried rape (not sure why), and had consentual sex with the firefighters. did it affect their job performance? no. was anyone else affected by this act (with the exception of those directly involved)? no.

hate to break this to you, but people have been having sex in both firehouses and fire trucks since before anyone here started. has anyone ever heard of someone "christening" a fire truck or ambulance? It's not exactly our proudest image, but it does happen. and I'm sure some police officers have gotten frisky with their sig others in their new patrol car.

These were two (and maybe 5) responsible adults who CONSENTED. Then this lady cries rape, causes a huge investigation (by both fire officials and police), and the end result is that they all agree that no crime took place. while I don't agree with what they did, it wasn't illegal, it was only immoral because they were married, and it didn't affect anyone else except those who were directly involved. I, personally, am more irritated that woman consented to these acts, then got second thoughts after the fact and cried rape, and now the careers of the entire firehouse is in jeopardy
    Sorry, Dan, but their careers are in jeopardy because this happened in the firehouse and it happened while on duty. Not because she cried rape.

Just because the stuff "happens" and it's been going on for years, doesn't mean it is right.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Arrest her!

While I certainly don't condone the actions of the firefighters involved in this mess, it seems to me that this woman should be arrested and put on trial for making false accusations. Consensual sex and rape are two vastly different events, obviously, and she should be held accountable for her actions. People like this w---- make life even harder for real rape victims, and they cause innocent people to end up in jail.

Forum Member

Blame doesnt belong to the women. Blame belongs to the two idiots who lacked any common sense and in turn hurt the other guys in the house. Careers of three officers are probably ruined because of the actions of these two guys,and just think about what the wives and girlfriends of all firefighters around the country are thinking. I'm sure it's going through their minds that this goes on all over the place.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by falcon
    Blame doesnt belong to the women. Blame belongs to the two idiots who lacked any common sense and in turn hurt the other guys in the house. Careers of three officers are probably ruined because of the actions of these two guys,and just think about what the wives and girlfriends of all firefighters around the country are thinking. I'm sure it's going through their minds that this goes on all over the place.
    There's plenty of blame to go around here. I don't condone what the firefighters did. They should be disciplined, but the woman shouldn't get off scot free. She lied to law enforcement officers, which is a crime. In regard to the officers in the house, it's very possible that they had absolutely no idea that this was going on. It was in the middle of the night. Hopefully, their supervisors will take that into consideration. Unfortunately, there may be reassignments even if the other firefighters/officers aren't directly punished, and that's very unfortunate and unfair.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Arrest her!

Originally posted by kentbwj
    While I certainly don't condone the actions of the firefighters involved in this mess, it seems to me that this woman should be arrested and put on trial for making false accusations. Consensual sex and rape are two vastly different events, obviously, and she should be held accountable for her actions. People like this w---- make life even harder for real rape victims, and they cause innocent people to end up in jail.

Well posted Kentbw. I don't know that the woman should go on trial but I think anyone who makes this kind of accusation needs help in their life. This is absolutely one of the worst accusations to make and it seems to be treated like a careless threat in many cases.
    Often, the reaction a case receives prevents many victims from reporting the crime.
    How embarrassing for this station. Too bad this lady was lonely. Don't these idiots ever stop to think that perhaps their OWN wives might be lonely sitting home alone and lonely (while their husbands are gone doing who knows what???)

Forum Member

Whats the big deal?
    What would have happened if this female had begun shouting "RAPE" very loudly inside the station? What would have happened if she had run into the street outside and begun shouting "A FIREMAN JUST RAPED ME?"

A whole $%&*storm more trouble than these guys are in now.

Even though I am a man amongst men, some of us still use our brains to think.

Whats the big deal. Bringing an already beleagured and under fire, (no pun intended), service into even more disrepute.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

No, I wasn't saying it wasn't a big deal, but rather it wasn't a rape. and everyone is saying "OMG, these 2 FDNY guys raped this poor woman in the fire house" when in fact, that's not what happened.

The Fire Department is reportedly expanding its investigation into an alleged orgy at a Bronx firehouse.

A woman had initially claimed she was raped by more than one firefighter at Engine 75, Ladder 33 in University Heights. She later recanted the claim.

Now, the New York Post reports the 34-year-old Staten Island woman may have had sex at other firehouses in the city, sleeping with 200 to 300 firefighters and police officers since the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The woman's estranged husband told the Daily News that she is "deeply troubled" and can't keep her hands off firefighters and police officers.

Two married firefighters have already been suspended in connection with the incident, because even consensual in a firehouse violates regulations. Nine other firefighters and three supervisors were placed on desk duty.

A source cited in the reports says investigators will be questioning other firefighters in University Heights on Monday.
    That is from http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=34371

They did violate department regulations, and because of that they can and will be brought up on departmental charges. You take a risk, you get caught, you deal with the consequence of your actions. but there is no reason this should be anymore than an internal investigation, no need for it to recieve national attention, and no reason for it to cost the other guys in the firehouse their careers because this woman lied about a rape.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Sr. Information Officer

Post Update on Waugh

By SAMUEL MAULL
    Associated Press Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) - A firefighter who was axed after he refused to
    discuss with investigators accusations that he and two others had
    sex with a woman in a Bronx firehouse has gone to court to try to
    get his job back.
    Christian Waugh, 31, says in court papers that he was fired
    because, on his lawyer's advice, he invoked his constitutional
    right against self-incrimination and refused to answer questions
    without complete immunity in a hearing on Aug. 25, 2004.
    The other two firefighters, Tony DeLuca, 35, and Anthony
    Loscuito, 27, have been suspended and are awaiting disciplinary
    action, says a 28-page report released last month by the
    commissioner of the Department of Investigation.
    The DOI hearing at which Waugh appeared was part of an
    investigation of charges by a woman who said that early on Aug. 20,
    2004, she was admitted to the Engine Co. 75/Ladder Co. 33
    firehouse, where she had sex with several firefighters.
    Waugh's court papers say the woman's story about whether the sex
    was forcible or consensual changed "a number of times." At the
    time of the DOI hearing, the woman was claiming she was forced
    while visiting the station, nicknamed the "Animal House."
    The woman filed a notice of claim indicating she intended to sue
    the city because she was allegedly "restrained against her will,
    sexually sodomized, raped" and "severely injured" during the
    incident.
    Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson declined to file charges
    in the case after a separate investigation.
    The accusations were widely publicized, and police collected DNA
    evidence. Though police had not charged Waugh with anything, it was
    against the backdrop of the criminal investigation that he refused
    to talk without total immunity, his court papers say.
    Waugh's papers say he was offered only use immunity, meaning
    nothing he said during the hearing would be used against him. His
    papers say he should have been given transactional immunity, which
    would have totally immunized him against prosecution in the
    firehouse sex case.
    "The threat of criminal prosecution against petitioner (Waugh)
    - who did not commit any sexual offense - was very real," says
    Waugh's petition, which was filed Tuesday in Manhattan's state
    Supreme Court.
    Federal case law bars public employees from being forced into
    "a choice between surrendering their constitutional rights or
    their jobs," Waugh's court papers say.
    Waugh, fired Dec. 3, 2004, asked the court to restore him to his
    job with back pay and benefits or remand the case to the Fire
    Department of New York and direct imposition of a lesser penalty.
    The fire department on Wednesday was unaware of the filing of
    Waugh's papers, a spokesman said.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default from todays news ...................

NYC Firefighter Accused in Firehouse Sex Scandal Won't Get Job Back

Updated: 11-25-2005 08:02:36 PM

E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

By SAMUEL MAULL
    Associated Press Writer

A New York City firefighter, dismissed after he and two others were accused of having sex with a woman in a Bronx firehouse nicknamed the "Animal House," is not entitled to get his job back, a Manhattan judge has ruled.

State Supreme Court Justice Karen S. Smith said Christian Waugh, 31, was legally fired because he refused to cooperate with a city investigation into his alleged role in the sexual activity on Aug. 20, 2004, at the Engine Co. 75/Ladder Co. 33 firehouse.

The woman in the case accused the firefighters of raping and sodomizing her. Her allegations, denied by the three firefighters, were investigated by the Bronx district attorney's office and officials there declined to prosecute.

Waugh, fired Dec. 3, 2004, argued that he was fired because, on his lawyer's advice, he invoked his right against self-incrimination during a hearing and refused to answer questions without complete immunity. He sued for reinstatement in March.

Smith found that Waugh, as a public employee, was required to testify at the hearing, which involved a city Department of Investigation inquiry into serious charges of potentially illegal activities by public employees at a public facility.

She cited a state appeals court ruling to find that the city "may compel any person enjoying a public trust to account for his activities and may terminate his services if he refused to answer relevant questions."

"In now refusing to do so (testify)," the judge wrote in a decision last week, "Waugh has repudiated his employment agreement with the City of New York."

The judge also said Waugh was not compelled to testify against himself. The judge said his refusal to testify represented his decision about the relative risk of losing his job against the possibility that he could be charged with a crime.

Waugh, the judge wrote, "does not have a constitutionally protected right to continued public employment when he acts in contravention of the terms he agreed to as a condition of that employment."

Waugh's lawyer, Abraham Abramovsky, could not be reached for comment.

The other two firefighters accused in the sex scandal were Tony J. Deluca, 35, and Anthony Loscuito, 27. Deluca, a firefighter for nine years, resigned in October, forfeiting pension health and other benefits. Loscuito, who was suspended, was scheduled for an administrative hearing this month.

Meanwhile, the alleged victim filed a notice of claim indicating she intended to sue the city. She alleged in the notice that she was "restrained against her will, sexually sodomized, raped" and "severely injured" during the alleged incident.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Disillusioned Subscriber

There was a firefighter in Ohio caught having sex on fire department property while on duty a couple of years ago, and was terminated. He filed a grievance primarily based on the fact that it didn't affect his ability to respond to calls, and that there were no department rules that specifically prohibited sex on duty. The arbitrator gave him his job back.

In all fairness, there was no accusation of criminal behavior, and admittedly consensual.

Anything is possible...you just gotta believe!
    Last edited by Steamer; 11-26-2005 at 08:53 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I can't say I feel bad for the guys. They knew that sneaking a civilian into a fire station was against policy, having sex with her while they were supposed to be on duty was yet another infraction. {Ever herd the phrase "Don't sh** where you eat" .....?

The woman on the other hand needs help. She can't keep her legs closed and cries the rape card fiquring she'll see $$$$$ like most arogant and greedy people. I understand the Bi-Polar thing but there is medication for that.

Now if these guys were off duty and out of the house when they did their deed than there is no problem because the sex was consented upon - that's basic human nature.

What errks me the most about this whole thing is that it's hard enough to get onto the FDNY and this group of knuckle heads got on and than abused the job that others fight so hard for and never get.

Permanently Removed

UGH...Didnt they learn from our mistakes in California? We finally got that behind us but the lesson was learned- NO sex in the Firehouse.

Now how hard is that to know?

Forum Member

The badge will get you pussy, but pussy will get your badge.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Hmmm... Don't know how I missed this post when it originally came up.
    1.) RookieLZ posted a year ago [I'm a little late] that her false accusation and the publicity it creates is why it is so difficult for rape victims to come forward. While I do appreciate this line of thought, I tend to think that it is more these types of comments that prevent rape victims to come forward. "Can't keep her legs closed," etc. etc. etc. There are few people in the entire world that actually know what happened in this case, and while I fully believe you should always support your brothers, we need to understand that as firefighters, we are in a position of public trust and need to watch our comments.
    1.) (a). Just because the DA did not press charges does not mean that the crime did not occur. No charges could mean a lack of evidence, amongst many other things, so I still think that the whole story is not set in stone. Also, it was mentioned this particular woman was bi-polar. Couldn't a mood swing alter her consent? What if she consents and changes her mind mid act, her refusal would still be valid.
    2.) Ah the firehouse. The place where people can turn when they need help. The place where mothers can leave babies to be cared for and turned over for adoption. It is one of the most trusted buildings in a community, or it ought to be. What better way to use that than to engage in sexual misgivings. If all is true in the story, it appears to me that a woman who has sex with multiple men in the same company HOUSE might be more interested in the badge than the man- unless your house is more like a male wh*** house. To me, using the badge to get some action is not much different than taking your crew on the apparatus to a strip club because the lap dances are free for firemen in uniform.

I don't mean to condemn anyone, brothers or not, but the law is not perfect, nor are people, but as firefighters I feel we are asked to be as morally perfect as possible WHEN ON DUTY. Standing behind a brother does not always mean turning a blind eye.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    Yea, butt wait. Didn't Bill Clinton the Presidnet of the US do the same thing. And didn't society say it was OK?
    Oh, my. Sort of a good point, I guess. But you know, I just realized that I actually do hold my friends and my fellow firefighters to a higher personal standard than I do the President. Wow. Maybe that's wrong of me... I guess I feel pretty jaded by politicians, and am never particularly surprised to find out they're not the greatest people.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Thread Information