Forum Member

Default Need some ideas please!

Just returned from a meeting with local government officials and public service agencies and need some ideas. We are in the process of trying to upgrade our county ESDA to a full time position and need to be able to show the county board why we need a full time person. We have already presented what we feel are some obvious reasons such as developing the county emergency plan and coordinating various public service agencies in the county. Our current ESDA is not very active so it is very difficult to know exactly what they should be doing. One of the concerns voiced today is that there is not enough to do to keep a full time person busy. I know thatís not true but need to be able to convince the county board members.

What does your ESDA do to assist your Fire Departments and other public safety agencies in your areas?

If you wish to respond off this board feel free to email me.

Thanks
    Les
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Les,
    Is that like our Emergency Management Agency (EMA) that is a countywide position, and back a few years ago sounds simillar to yours. Our EMA person has done wonders for mostly the rural southern parts of cour county, he runs ALS intercept with some departments, helps all of us with Haz-Mat spills, upgraded our outdoor warning system, is active in the county FF assn., and in general is a nice guy. I hope this helsp some and if you need more info or want to contact him directly let me know off line.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Sounds like you "Buckeyes" have about the same emergency management structure as us. Thanks for the info Josh
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Our ESDA guy is also our zoning administrator. I think he works 3 days as zoning and 2 days as ESDA. That seems to work for us. ESDA sets up quarterly meetings of all of the emergency service personnel in the county, although it's mostly fire that shows up. Cops are scarce at the meetings even though it's a free meal. He gets a guest speaker and we get to vent our frustrations and make suggestions to the group. He does take care of our county disaster plan, keeps a resource book for all of the emergency agencies in the county, takes care of 2 or 3 disaster drills a year. We could use more so that everybody would get to play instead of just "one" group.
    We're a small county and I don't know if it could be a full time job in itself. It definately needs to be a paying position so that the person has the time to make the necessary contacts during normal business hours. Like I said, ours works well with splitting the time between the two positions. Hope this helps, Les.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information