Default safety in the firehouse

any thoughts about answering the phone at the firehouse and having to say your name without first knowing who is calling , I feel it leaves my family at risk if someone knows I'm at the firehouse
    Last edited by microscan; 08-24-2004 at 03:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

well heck there is an easy way around that. just dont say your name or if you do, just say your first.

xyz towhship/firestation/abc fire dept, this is john, how may i help you.

i can understand how the worry would arise, with all the wierds and freaks in the world today, im sure someone has thought of that one all ready. just use some common sence about how you talk on the phone and im sure that you will feel alot safier about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have two seperate lines. One is the department line, on which we have to say our last name. This is used for department business only and almost all of the calls come from another station or HQ. We also have our own private line which is used for personal calls. It is used the same as your home phone, nothing formal.

Forum Member

The phone number of our firehouse is non-published. It does two things:

1. If people don't know, they won't try to call it when their house is on fire. That's what 911 or the dispatch phone number is for.

2. We don't ger telemarketers, sales people, people looking to get their pools filled, someone who's lawn needs watering, etc etc.

We just answer it with the name of our dept. No one is required to tell anyone who you are. If at least one of the parties doesn't recognize the other's voice, they probably shouldn't be calling anyway.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh??.............

Unlisted Phone at the Station?? I honestly never heard of such a thing. We WANT our citizens to be able to contact us whenever they feel like it. We always have time (we MAKE time) to talk to anyone about anything in the community, we consider it part of our "Customer service" philosophy. As to giving a name, I could care less. Most folks who answer our phones give a First or Last name. I just pick it up and say "Glenn Dale Fire" and that's all. Telemarketers? None. People who want pools filled, cats removed from trees, Directions from point A to point B, Sure, we get those, and we help wherever we can. Calls that should go to 911? one or two a year, not a problem for us. But then, what would you expect from people who open their bay doors in April and leave them open till November?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

ftfdverbenec770

my question was maybe too brief. the chief put out a notice requiring anyone answering the telephone to say "good morning/good evening xyz fire dept firefighter (last name required) ,how can I help you". My point is/was if required to state our name it could pose a safety point for family members at home ect... the caller knows that you're not home. small town, just searching for thoughts to keep brothers and sisters safe. my belief is most are good people, but lets not discount the fact that there are dishonest ones out there. thanks ftfdverbenec770
    Last edited by microscan; 08-24-2004 at 11:08 AM.

Forum Member

Default Re: Huh??.............

Originally posted by hwoods
    Unlisted Phone at the Station?? I honestly never heard of such a thing. We WANT our citizens to be able to contact us whenever they feel like it. We always have time (we MAKE time) to talk to anyone about anything in the community, we consider it part of our "Customer service" philosophy. As to giving a name, I could care less. Most folks who answer our phones give a First or Last name. I just pick it up and say "Glenn Dale Fire" and that's all. Telemarketers? None. People who want pools filled, cats removed from trees, Directions from point A to point B, Sure, we get those, and we help wherever we can. Calls that should go to 911? one or two a year, not a problem for us. But then, what would you expect from people who open their bay doors in April and leave them open till November?

Well, concidering this is a volunteer station that is not staffed, that is out the window

MembersZone Subscriber

mircoscan

i remeber when i was writeing thing last night that i wondered is your chief had made it a rule that your had to say a script on the phone. im not quite sure on your last post to me if you agreeing with me or yelling at me, but i do understand your concern. like i said the first time, in todays world you dont know who is going to do stuff. there are plenty of wierdos and freeks going around this world and you rightly so should be worried. your familey is you number one concern and thats how it should be.

just talk with you chief about your concern and express your side of the story. maybe he will not force you to say who you are.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unlisted Phone at the Station?? I honestly never heard of such a thing. We WANT our citizens to be able to contact us whenever they feel like it.
    ISO deducts points for having individual station numbers published in the local telephone directory. There is supposed to be a business line and an emergency line with the requisite number of rollover lines for your call volume.

The trick here is to have your numbers unpublished and not unlisted. Unpublished numbers don't show up in the phone book, but you can usually access them by calling directory assistance.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

We always have time (we MAKE time) to talk to anyone about anything in the community, we consider it part of our "Customer service" philosophy.
    so at 3am, when I'm drunk or bored or just lonely, and I call your firehouse, you'll be happy to speak to me? can I get that in writing? please?

to echo was ullrichk said, I wouldn't want to publish out station number. However, we do have a bussiness line that is published, and we also specify that for all emergencies to call 911. if someone need to get a hold of us, they call the bussiness line and leave a message for one of our officers to call them back. they are more than welcome to stop by, but since our firestations are manned only when we have a call or trainings, it's probably a better choice to call first. it also ensures you have an officer answering your question, instead of little jonny who is 16 and just joined the department 2 days ago.

our squad is manned on the nights and weekends with a crew in house. and the squad building's number isn't published either, however the bussiness line is. it's for the same reason (and for one Chief Woods) mentioned above. we don't want anyone calling our building with a medical emergency, as we are not trained to give them any prearrival instructions. they are instructed to call 911. and again, if they have any questions, it's better for an officer to give them a response than for any old member to. they are more than welcome to stop by, and we have had walkups, (and once while on a major MVA had a drive up) but we prefer they go through proper channels.

to get back to the topic at hand, I answer the phone at the firehouse "station name / last name." some answer station name followed by rank or nickname. I know that number is unlisted, so i'm not worried about people calling and knowing i'm not home.

similarly, how many coroporate bussines answer the phone with their last name? or leave their full name on their voicemail message? I don't think it's something you should really worry about, unless you have had something that caused you to worry in the past.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

" ______ Firehouse. You got fire, we got water. How can I direct your call."

55 Years & Still Rolling

Default Re: Re: Huh??.............

Originally posted by ullrichk

ISO deducts points for having individual station numbers published in the local telephone directory. There is supposed to be a business line and an emergency line with the requisite number of rollover lines for your call volume.
    That's what we have, 911 for emergencies, and 301-805-2400 for business. There's no voice mail on it, if someone answers, you got it. And, We are a Volunteer station, but someone is always in the station, even when we're out on a run. My apoligies to anyone with a station that is usually not staffed, I understand the need for a different system than we have. As for ISO and the phone listings, ISO can take a hike. We have a class 4, and there is no incentive to change it with their archaic rating system.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Hey Dan................

Originally posted by DrParasite
    so at 3am, when I'm drunk or bored or just lonely, and I call your firehouse, you'll be happy to speak to me? can I get that in writing? please?

You want to run up your Long Distance bill? Call me. Seriously, this has happened from time to time, we just grin and bear it. At our station, there are people up and about at 3 AM more often than you'd think.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

ftfdverbenec770, was not yelling ,I was just getting a feel yes,he has given us a script to use and doesnt feel he will budge. thanks

Forum Member

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about saying your name. If the town is that small, they can drive by and see your vehicle there and accomplish the same thing.

As for phone numbers......... 911 for emergencies......... In the phone book we have phone numbers listed for both stations. Yes, we have had people call our station for emergencies. Even had other agencies calling our number for police and fire incidents that they had received in our city. Most of the time, they hear the message on the answering machine (if this is emergency, call 911 or non-emergency number of 419-XXX-XXXX). We have, however had a business call and leave a message because they had a fire alarm going off and couldn't get it to shut off. Nobody was at the station, so they decided to leave us a message telling us that. We got the message about 5 hours later.......

my original thread said nothing about 911 calls ect.. this is the published FD telephone number

Forum Member

Luckily enough we got us a new phandango cockamaymee central recording to dial an extension, dont know the extension then no fire station for you. We also have a 7 digit line that is not published, and I must admit it keeps things quiet, we had to get the other line when the fine City hall workers would leave on friday and not turn on the system, a mighty big pain then.........oh ya ...Harve are you up there now ? I was thinkin of call in ........

and oh ya ......as far as saying your last name, what is the big deal ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default station phone number

The phone number for our station is the same as the township hall. Granted we are in the same building. The township board members answer it during the day and we answer if it happens to ring while we are there for our meetings every other week. We answer "Wheatland Township" Nothing less and nothing more.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." -Benjamin franklin

"There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right with America" -Henry Clay

Thread Information