Thread: Turnout Pockets

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Turnout Pockets

No, I am not asking about what you carry in your pockets. That has been covered quite a bit in the past. However, I am asking about the pockets themselves.

Our department received a grant for new turnout gear (both structure and wildland). We are first looking at new structure gear, and a discussion about pockets came up.

I am asking your opinion about a couple of things. First the radio pocket. Some of our turnouts have one on the left chest, most do not. I did see one department that had the radio pocket on the upper left arm sleeve. I thought this was a good ideal as it does not interfere with the SCBA straps.

So my first question is where is your radio pocket...if you have one? If not, where would you prefer it to be.

Second is the number of pockets. We all know that with more space to put stuff, that will be more that you will store. I like the idea of a pocket on each pant leg, and a couple in the jacket. But as long as my stuff is reachable, I really don't care.

So my second questions is how many pockets do you prefer and where would you locate them?

I appricate your help.

Thanks

Forum Member

Radio pocket just to the left of center on coat. SCBA straps go farther left so they don't interfere. 1 pocket on left side (glove) and 1 pocket on right side (glove). Also have 1 pocket on left and right of pants. That's it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Turnout Pockets

Originally posted by VollieFireman

Our department received a grant for new turnout gear (both structure and wildland). We are first looking at new structure gear, and a discussion about pockets came up.

If you dont mind telling how much did you get awarded for your PPE, both structure and wildland?

Was it for head to toe?

What are you looking for in wildland PPE?

Over the last year we have switched over to some AWSOME wildland PPE, I will share the info on it as soon as Possible. It is realy worth a look.

I am asking your opinion about a couple of things. First the radio pocket. Some of our turnouts have one on the left chest, most do not. I did see one department that had the radio pocket on the upper left arm sleeve. I thought this was a good ideal as it does not interfere with the SCBA straps.

So my first question is where is your radio pocket...if you have one? If not, where would you prefer it to be.
    I like the chest radio pocket on the left chest. Our wildland and structure gear both have it now and it comes in handy.

We use some Bendix King radios which are bigger. The radio pockets fit them like a glove. Its easy to hit the transmit button, and you can hear pretty good with it on the chest.

I have only sene one structure coat with the radio on the arm, it didnt look that good to me.

Second is the number of pockets. We all know that with more space to put stuff, that will be more that you will store. I like the idea of a pocket on each pant leg, and a couple in the jacket. But as long as my stuff is reachable, I really don't care.

We have pockets on each side of the waist of the coat and on the hips, BDU style. They seem just fine. I dont keep my gloves in them, I have one of those little velcrow glove straps and clip it to a loop on the coat. I keep my hood stuffed up in my helmet. So I have plenty of room for other stuff in the pockets. I dont think I would want to carry much more.

I see that some structure gear now has built in escape ropes, sometimes in special pockets and such. Dont know much about that stuff.

I seem to recall seing a picture of some turnouts with pockets on the lower leg. Not sure if that would be worth it or not.

All depends on how much stuff you want to carry.

On the wildland gear side I prefer to carry my stuff in a web pack instead of the pockets.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Coat: radio pocket left chest low enough that the chest strap on the scba does not interfear. Mic tab above, never had a scba strap problem. Two belowes pockets with velcro closure one each side at bottom of coat, inside pocket.
    Pant: Two belowes pockets with velcro closure one each leg. One set of gear I had a radio pocket put at the outside hem of one leg. Used it to store maglite or long handled cutters.

MembersZone Subscriber

my gear i have a radio pocket left chest, i have never had a problem with the scba straps. 2 hand warmer pockets on the bottom of the coat, the pants have 2 belowes with velcro, and there is one pocket on the inside of my coat.

MembersZone Subscriber

SamsonFCDES, we got 12 complete sets (head to toe) of Structure turnouts, at about $2,000 per set (we did ask for $2,200 per set, but they lowered the cost).

Not sure how much we have for wildland gear yet, but I am interested in what you have to say. PM me and I will send you my e-mail.

MembersZone Subscriber

2 pockets on coat plus 2 slashed hand warmer pockets on coat:
    Inside coat pocket:
    Radio pocket on left chest:
    2 Bellow pockets on pants Plus 1 Flashlight pocket on right hip.
    (I requested the flashlight pocket, as I also do Fire Police.)
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Upper L chest have a radio pocket. R&L hand warmer pockets w/ regular pockets with velcro. 1 inside pocket. Pockets on R&L side of pants.

Forum Member

Our coats per spec (we use the SAFER spec and can get turnouts "off the rack" at our supplier) have a radio pocket on the left chest (with a mic tab above), an SCBA mask pocket on the right chest and two bellows pockets on the bottom of each side. The chest pockets are both towards the center enough that the SCBA straps don't interfere, and the bellows are below the waistbelt. There's also an inside pocket that's behind the manufacturers patch.

However, because we currently use two radios (VHF for tactical and UHF for dispatch), most members have a second radio pocket added inside the SCBA pocket. This rarely gets used except on major incidents.

Turnout pants come with two thigh pockets. All the pockets (coat and pants) except the mask pocket are velcro...the mask pocket has a dual zipper.

At least one of our members also had a radio pocket added on the seat of his turnout pants. Seems awkward to me, but he likes if for those times he's on a medical call with just turnout pants.

And yes, before anyone says it, the "added" pockets are done by authorized turnout repair companies.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

We have radio pocket on left chest, with mic tab above. Also have 2 bellows pockets on the coat, with handwarmers, and 2 bellows on the pants.

There is a neighboring dept. (Weruj, where you at?) that has the radio pocket on the left sleeve, and I don't think that people care for them very much. In fact, I believe they purchased the FDNY style radio straps for all of their portable radios (to keep people from dropping and/or losing them) that people are required to use.

Forum Member

We have 2 coat pockets, a pair of bellows pockets on the pants, and a radio pocket on the left sleeve. Since we got gear last (about 18 mos ago) we have changed over to the FDNY straps for the portables and they really do work well for us. Also on the new gear the bellows pockets have dividers in them vs one big ol pocket, so I can divy up gloves, hand light etc.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

My gear has a pocket on each side of the jacket at waist level, and a radio pocket with mike tab on the left chest, and a tab for hanging my streamlight on the right chest. The pants have a pocket on each leg, with a divider in the right pocket.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

On a side note, do any of you have a set way of what goes in what pocket? I'm not talking where each individual keeps thing, I'm talking Department wide..........

For example, we issue a pair of side cuts to everyone..... We want people to put them in the right pant leg pocket. This is in case (God forbid) something would happen and one of us go down, we all know that each person should have a pair in the same spot in case someone loses their's or whatever........

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Turnout Pockets

Originally posted by VollieFireman
    I did see one department that had the radio pocket on the upper left arm sleeve. I thought this was a good ideal as it does not interfere with the SCBA straps.
    I have the radio pocket on my coat in this location and for just "standing around" it works o.k.

For any working job - the radio shifts back & forth in the pocket & that is annoying.

If the radio is in the pocket prior to donning the SCBA - sometimes the straps will catch on the radio / pocket.

Also - depending on your radio system (we are currently VHF Lo Band) the radio antenna smacks you in the face or helmet every time you move your arm.

Having never had a Radio Pocket on the chest I can't tell you how well that would work, but I can tell you I'll never put it on the sleeve again.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Five pockets total:

1)Radio Pocket, Left Chest, I keep a radio in there if needed, if not, I will keep my pager, sometimes my knife in there. Depends on what I am doing.

2&3) Two pockets, corner entry, on the turnout coat.

4&5) Two BDU style pockets on thights of bunker pants.

What I keep in there depends, it varies from day to day. I just got this gear a couple of weeks ago and I am still working out the pockets. Trying to make it so the pockets arent bulky, etc. etc.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking They're Everywhere

Radio Pocket: Left Chest. (Doesn't interfere with SCBA Strap for me.) BTW, I hang my Nomex Hood in the Radio Pocket, Radio goes elsewhere, as we use Speaker Mikes.

2 Pockets on outside of Coat, 1 on each side.
    Same for inside

2 Pockets on "backside" of Turnout pants.
    One on each leg as well.

Don't even think of what's in the pockets.
    Last edited by hwoods; 08-26-2004 at 10:46 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default From top to bottom

coat:
    left chest: radio pocket
    right chest: survivor flashlight clip
    left side lower: 1 pocket, i keep my leather work gloves in it
    right side lower: SCBA mask pocket
    we also have a microphone tab on the center of the coat (near where your upper sternum would be).

both lower pockets are inaccessable when you are wearing an airpack (the theory being, if you have a pack on, your mask should be attached to the regulator and ready to go)

pants:
    bellows pockets similar to where they would be for BDUs, with velcro closures. i have one structure glove in each pocket (never did get into those glove straps), wirecutters, extrication glasses in a plastic case, and who knows what else is in there.

we don't have a standard for what goes where (except for SCBA mask), it's all up to the comfort and discretion of the firefighter wearing the gear.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Is an SCBA facepiece pocket realy worth it?

We just have the 10$ velcrow bag, felt lined, with a cheap carrbiner.

You put the pak on and the mask goes with you. If you mask up you just toss the bag away and worry about it later.

Seems to work good for us and you dont ahve another pocket on the turnouts.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fewer pockets mean fewer chances to snag/rip said pockets or worse, get you hung up to the point that your safety is compromised.
    Our coats have a radio pocket on right chest. No pockets on coat.
    One pocket each side of pants. That's it.
    My opinion; radio pocket. Period. There is nothing that you need to carry in coat or pants pocket. I repeat; nothing.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

CR, just curious, with nothing needing to be carried...if you are ever trapped by the wires of a drop ceiling (or a "growing room"), what do you use to cut yourself out? If you need to self-escape out of a second floor window, where do you keep your webbing/rope? If you need to extend your search area, couldn't you tie off to an object and do a rope search if you had a short rope/webbing with you?

Remember, saving yourself keeps the FAST/RIT standing by.

I'd rather velcro my pocket closed than not have those tools with me when I need them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

ok, lets see:

Coat -
    (Inside pockets) latex gloves, work gloves, radio
    *(Left front) - spanner wrench, left glove
    *(Right front)- extrication glasses, right glove
    Bunker pants -
    (Right) shove tool, screw driver, 7" linemans pliers, extra knife, 10 penny nails, electral tape
    (Left) 25' 8mm rope, carbinear on both ends.
    (Front left knee) 12' webbing in a loop. rolled at the bottom of the knee, w/a small loop hanging out for easy access.

* - We are trying something new, instead of putting the waist strap around our waste (SCBA), it goes between your legs and then gets clipped. Reason being, one less step for the FAST team. Been training with this method for some time, only time it was a problem is when I was (in training) breaching a wall, my knee got hung up inside the strap. The only time I put the waist strap around my waist is when we're overhauling.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Have to say after starting in the U.K. (no pockets on our turnout gear at all, SCBA's had small line for extending searches, belts carried axe and short length of rope) and now being here in Yankdom, I have come to love filling my pockets with gizzits.

Coat

Upper Left, Radio Pocket - Like a previous poster also used for nomex hood.

Upper Right, Right Angle Flashlight holder.

Lower Right Bellows Pocket - Tools - Leatherman, Plastic Resq Wrench, Swiss Army Knife.

Lower Left Bellows Pocket - Room Search Tags, Wooden Chock, Latex Gloves.

Pants Right Lower Thigh Bellows Pocket - Rescue Webbing and Right Hand Extrication Glove.

Pants Left Lower Thigh Bellows Pocket - Short general use rope and Left Hand Extrication Glove.

Two items I use most, Leatherman and rope.

Item I lose the most - Leather Gloves, always putting them down somewhere!!

Forum Member

CR, I have to agree with Bones......... Yes, sometimes people carry "too much", but I keep sidecuts, webbing and such in mine, also for the same reasons.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Radio pocket just to the left of center on coat. SCBA straps go farther left so they don't interfere. 1 pocket on left side (glove) and 1 pocket on right side (glove). Also have 1 pocket on left and right of pants. That's it.
    I have the same set-up as Bones and I'm very happy with it. I've never had a problem with my SCBA straps interfering with my radio or vice versa. There is also a little strap for the radio mic to clip into right above the radio pocket. I keep my firefighting gloves in my pant pockets, mechanics gloves in my coat pockets and a disposable camera in one of my coat pockets.

Forum Member

The only problem I have with my radio pocket is that, depending on what kind of lapel mic I am using, sometimes if I move the wrong way, the SCBA strap will push against the lapel mic, causing it to key up....... That's why I prefer lapel mics with recessed PTTs

Thread Information