Thread: Breaking News

Forum Member

Exclamation Breaking News-2 planes crash, 1 hijack alarm sounded

2 Jetliners crash in Russia 3minutes apart.
    This article is not the most recent, my service compuserve.com states that the 2nd plane has crashed 3mins apart from first. I could not post my article due to you have to be a subcribing member to view it.
    link to article

Jet crashes near Moscow; 2nd believed down
    89 aboard the planes; terrorism not ruled out
    NBC News and news services
    Updated: 10:53 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2004

MOSCOW - A Russian airliner crashed and a second disappeared from radar about the same time Tuesday night after both planes took off from the same Moscow airport, raising fears that terrorism was involved.

There was no word on survivors among the 89 people believed to be aboard the planes, which left Moscow’s Domodedovo airport 40 minutes apart, Russian news agencies reported.

President Vladimir Putin ordered an investigation by the nation’s top intelligence agency, and security was tightened at airports across the country.

A Tu-134 airliner that apparently had 42 people aboard crashed in the Tula region, 125 miles south of Moscow, at 10:56 p.m. Tuesday, ITAR-Tass reported, citing the Emergency Situations Ministry. The agency also reported that witnesses said they saw an explosion before the crash.

A Tu-154 with 44 people aboard went missing about the same time near Rostov-on-Don, about 600 miles south of Moscow, ITAR-Tass said.

Authorities initially said they found no wreckage, but at least one later news report appeared to confirm the crash of the second aircraft. CNN, citing aviation officials quoted by Russian television, reported that wreckage of the second jetliner had been found.

Earlier, the news agency said emergency officials reported that the second plane crashed about three minutes after the first one. There was no further confirmation.

Washington responds
    The plane that crashed near Tula was headed to the southern city of Volgograd, while the plane that disappeared was flying to the Black Sea resort city of Sochi, where Putin is vacationing, ITAR-Tass reported.

In Washington, a U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity Tuesday evening, said it was the understanding of American officials that the two Russian planes disappeared within four minutes of each other, which “in and of itself is suspicious.”

The U.S. Homeland Security Department was monitoring the situation but was not implementing any additional security measures in the United States, spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said.

Terrorism possible?
    When Russia’s U.N. Ambassador Andrey Denisov was told of the initial report of two near-simultaneous crashes, he said, “Now we have to see if there’s terrorism.”

Raising that possibility, NBC News Moscow bureau chief Tom Bonifield reported that “the war in Chechnya has raised, off and on since 1994, a real problem for Russia.”

A series of deadly explosions in recent years has claimed hundreds of lives in blasts that have been blamed mostly on Chechen separatist rebels.

“We've seen repeated attacks — including here in Moscow — that have been caused by Chechen rebels," Bonifield said, adding that Russian transportation officials “are fairly rigorous about protecting their aviation industry.”

The crash comes only days before Sunday’s presidential election in the breakaway republic of Chechnya. Pro-Russian President Akhmad Kadyrov was killed by a bombing in May.

Earlier events
    The incidents with the two aircraft occurred shortly after two earlier events that were out of the ordinary.

In one, a bomb exploded at a Moscow bus stop, injuring four people.

A spokesman for the capital's Federal Security Service said the explosion had a force of about 100 grams of TNT. The blast shattered the glass walls of the bus shelter located on Kashirskoye highway in southern Moscow.

The four injured included a woman who was in grave condition at a Moscow hospital, authorities said.

Russia's NTV television said terrorism had not been ruled out since the bus stop was located across from a police station and the explosion went off at a time when officers were usually leaving work, the AP reported.

In the second incident, The Moscow Times reported that a fire broke out Tuesday morning on a bus parked in the eastern outskirts of Moscow, killing all five passengers as they slept, and seriously injuring the driver.

A gas canister used for cooking near the front of the bus exploded at about 2:15 a.m., sparking a blaze that quickly spread through the vehicle parked on the Moscow Ring Road, a police spokesman told Interfax.

Prosecutors opened an investigation, saying they were exploring whether arson was to blame.
    NBC News' Tom Bonifield in Moscow, The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
    Last edited by CaptainMikey; 08-25-2004 at 12:36 AM.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

update to previous article
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Report: Hijack alarm before crash

Tuesday, August 24, 2004 Posted: 11:59 PM EDT (0359 GMT)
    [vert.putin.afp.jpg]

Report: Hijack alarm before crash

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russia's Interfax news agency has reported that a hijacking alarm was activated on one of two passenger jetliners that crashed over Russia in nearly simultaneous incidents.

As many as 94 people are feared killed.

Both planes took off from the same Moscow airport within minutes of each other late Tuesday and were bound for southwestern Russian cities.

The first plane disappeared from radar at 10:56 p.m. (0756 GMT), the news agency said.

The second plane, a Tupolev-154, dropped off the radar shortly afterwards.

That plane issued a signal indicating a hijacking or seizure before going missing, the Interfax news agency quoted an unidentified government source as saying on Wednesday.

CNN has no independent confirmation on whether the hijacking alarm was activated.

Russian officials have reportedly found the crash sites of both planes.

Witnesses reported seeing the first plane explode before it crashed, Interfax reported.

A ministry spokeswoman said the wreckage was found ablaze in the Tula region, about 160 kilometers (100 miles) south of Moscow.

The government-run news agency Ria Novosti reported that the plane's wreckage was in two separate locations.

Search and rescue teams were at the site searching for possible survivors, but the ministry said none of the 34 passengers and eight-member crew are believed to have survived.

The second plane, carrying with between 46 and 52 people on board, was about 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Rostov-on-Don when it dropped off radar screens.

Officials did not say whether any survivors were found from the second wreckage.
    Immediate investigation

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered security services to launch an immediate investigation, news agencies reported early Wednesday.

The first plane, a Tupolev-134, had taken off from Moscow's Domodedovo Airport and was en route to Volgograd, in southern Russia.

The second plane disappeared from radar at 10:59 p.m. after having taken off from the same airport en route to Sochi, a tourist resort on the Black Sea in southern Russia, the ministry spokeswoman reported.

The Tupolev-154 is a standard medium-range airliner on domestic flights in Russia, according to aviation websites.

Russian authorities offered no explanations for the crashes but said they had increased security at airports following an explosion at a Moscow bus station earlier Tuesday, which injured three people.

"If this were just one, you would look toward some sort of aircraft issue," Peter Goelz, a former managing director of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board, told CNN.

"But with two of them going down so close together, it's awfully ominous."

The incidents also took place just days before a regional election in the rebellious southern territory of Chechnya, where Russian troops have battled separatist guerrillas for five years.

Chechen separatists have been blamed for numerous bombings and other attacks in Russia in recent years, including the seizure of hundreds of hostages at a Moscow theater that ended with more than 100 hostages dead.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Default UPDATE

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS ARTICLE

First signs point to blast in Russia plane-airline

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The operator of one of the two planes that crashed in Russia said Wednesday early indications were that the Tu-154 aircraft had exploded in midair.

"The wide distribution of large fragments indirectly confirms the conjecture that the plane broke up in midair because of an explosion," Sibir Airlines said in a statement.

The plane was one of two Russian passenger aircraft that crashed almost simultaneously late Tuesday, killing all 89 people on board in what investigators said was either a terrorist attack or simply a mysterious coincidence.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Thread Information