Thread: TNT Tools

MembersZone Subscriber

Default TNT Tools

Any pros or cons on TNT tools? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thinking about a combo tool but may get 2 tools (spreader and cutter) and power unit. Looks like a good tool and good service from dealer.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

2 comments....

1. We have them... cutters, spreaders, mini-cutter, airbags, etc and love them.

2. check the Univ. of Extrication forum and do a search. This has been discussed b4

Finch the Computer Guy

Default Stick with the Basics

Stay with the simple tools, or as we say "Keep it simple stupid"

Our TNT Tool is in the storage room were it belongs. Way to short and heavy for any pratical use.
    Jason
    Paid Professional Firefighter/ EMT
    Department Computer Administrator
    City of Beacon, NY Fire Department (IAFF Local 3490)

http://www.BeaconFD.org (Department's Website)
    http://www.BeaconCareerFirefighters.org (Job's Union Site)

Forum Member

BFD - keep it simple and read the post... although posted in the wrong area, the poster was referring to TNT extrication tools

Thinking about a combo tool but may get 2 tools (spreader and cutter) and power unit.
    not the sledge, axe, hook, etc combination tool that beats the ****** out of your wrist when you hit something and get the hook portion jambed into you - that item can stay in the store room like you suggested.

Forum Member

the fun continues.................
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

dazed and confused

Originally posted by FFTrainer
    that beats the ****** out of your wrist when you hit something and get the hook portion jambed into you - that item can stay in the store room like you suggested.
    Definetly agree on that one. Those suck, I don't know why people like them. Same experience here.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

I wondered who would be the first to post about the hand tool.........

Forum Member

I used the TNT tools during a demo and my crew tore 2 vans down to the frames. They were brand new tools, never used, we had no problems or breakage, despite abusing them a bit-at the request of the demonstator. I have always used Hurst through my career dept and the reserve ARFF unit, but I was impressed by the TNT tools. Had a chance to play with Amkus and Holmatro before, didn't care for them at all.

Agreed on the TNT hand tool-hated it!

Forum Member

Well the topic DOES say TNT tools lol. Myself and LT use them on just about every fire we make. We have three different sizes, the medium one is just about right to do everything, from pulling ceiling to forcing entry. I love them.

Forum Member

Not thread related but I like the TNT tool,hand version.I can take one tool and breach my way out of almost anything.I also like the TNT rescue tools.But then again I'm pretty fond of anything that makes my life easier.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

TNTs are excellant tools, buy a spreader, cutter with a simu pump. Then get a combi tool.

Permanently Removed

Default Power tools...

I used to think Hurst was the ticket, but grab a set of
    Holomatro and youre sold. Very strong and light weight.

My FD has Hurst and they seem to leak most of the time.

Forum Member

Thumbs up TNT Tools

We used the TNT Tools here and have been nothing short of impressed with their performance. They are alot lighter than the Hurst tools and run at a higher PSI. Lighter and stronger, hmmm, sounds like a no brainer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default TNT Tools

At my former volunteer department, where I was Assistant Chief, I was tasked with finding the "best all-around" rescue tools. We had dealer demos from Hurst, TNT, Champion, Holmatro, and Phoenix. After a day in the local auto salvage yard with a couple of my firefighters, our top choice was Champion, with TNT coming in a close second place. Depending on the model, TNT tools are much lighter or about the same as far as weight is concerned. There smaller version of the spreader packs the same punch, with half the weight of your normal run of the mill Hurst spreader. It made for a much quicker door pop, just because of the manueverability of the lightweight tool. My opinion of combination tools is not one that you would want to hear if you are restricted to buying only a combi-tool. They are underpowered pieces of **** that will quit on you when you need them the most. You'll have to be very creative at times to accomplish your mission. We did test combi-tools on our "junkyard adventure," and if my budget restricted me to buying one, I would highly recommend that you look into Phoenix Rescue. Their combi-tool is a spreader with a scissor-like cutter in the middle that runs the entire length. Worked extremely well when cutting wide "C" posts during roof removals. If you are able to buy the seperate tools, I would highly recommend that you look into Champion Rescue tools. They have a lifetime free replacement warranty for as long as your department owns the tool. We ended up buying the Champion tools at my former department. I sheared a pin off that holds the cutting blade onto the tool at 4pm on a Friday afternoon. My new tool was personally delivered to me at 7pm... the same day, no questions asked. I believe in a company that stands behind their product that way.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has a TNT 28" spreader and a CC-20 Cutter with a simo pump. It works great and we have never had a problem. We tried out Hurst, Amkus and the TNT and the choice by the members was near unanimous for the TNT. If price is a concern, talk to your local dealer about possibly buying a used demo set. That's what we did. It came with a new set of blades on the cutter and the same warranty as a new unit. We got the cutter, spreader, simo pump and two 20' lengths of hose for under $10K. That was about 3 years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has Spreader, Cutter, and two sizes of rams made by TNT. These tools are over 10 years old, but still pack a punch. Like most have said they are heavy and that is my only concern (well we are still using the non-mineral based oil as well and that concerns me). We also have two Banam pumps and one Simo pump. The system works well but the weight is my only complaint.
    Riverton Fire and EMS
    Lieutenant/Paramedic

Risk a lot to save a lot.
    Risk a little to save a little.
    Risk nothing to save nothing.

www.rafpd.org
    www.franklindesigning.com

MembersZone Subscriber

we purchased a complete set of TNT tools about a year before hurst tools came out with high pressure tools. We decided from the beginning that we were going to buy high pressure tools. once you use high pressure after using low pressure you will never go back to low pressure again. we looked at every brand that you can imagine. Our dept. has the luxury of having the insurance institute for highway safety in our 1st due so getting new model year cars that are wrecked to cut on is no problem. tnt is not the lightest but is not the heaviest either. they use mineral oil and operate at 10,500 psi. they will come annually to service the tools and inspect them ( no charge ) any problems with the tools and they will be there usually the same day with a replacement until yours is repaired. We use our tools alot and love them. the only problem we have ever had is with the motor on the pump and that was our problem, they were there the same day with a replacement. Simply put a great tool with great service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was a die hard Hurst guy..now I wouldnt go back. We have them where I came from and where I work now. One big piece of advice is don't buy a combi tool unless you absoloutely have no space for a cutter and spreader (or dont have the budget). The two tools will give you much greater capabilities. A combi-tool is nothing more than an average of a cutter and spreader combined, it doesnt do either task well. Also, go with the bigger cutter, the thing is unstoppable!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter430
    Any pros or cons on TNT tools? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thinking about a combo tool but may get 2 tools (spreader and cutter) and power unit. Looks like a good tool and good service from dealer.

Since you're from Virginia, I assume you are going to get your tools from Blue Ridge Rescue Suppliers. We bought a bunch of TNT hydraulic equipment (4 rams, 2 spreaders, an O-cutter and a combi tool) for our new heavy rescue, choosing them mostly because we were told BRRS would provide very quick service. We did not find this to be the case. When the system started leaking fluid, we got bounced between Singer (our Pierce dealer) and BRRS, each saying it was the others's problem. It all worked out eventually, but I didn't think we were quite served as well as we could have been.

Forum Member

One advantage TNT has is their 2nd stage pump doesn't kick in until around 4500 psi. The 1st stage is where most of your cutting power and speed comes from. Most everyone else's pumps go to 2nd stage around 2000 psi.

For 25 years I used Hurst then Amkus...............I wouldn't have anything other than TNT now.

Forum Member

Oh and TNT is one of only two tools that is compliant with the new NFPA standards for hydraulic rescue tools.

Forum Member

Really? Color me dubious. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mostly, we use Hurst. We recently bought Hulmatro and its light. I used TNT in fire academy. I really dont care what brand. Hurst is heavy. Hulmatro is lighter. We also carry... Centuri... I believe that is the right name, a brand bought out by Hurst. Lot lighter and smaller.....but so much faster. As long as it works... I'm happy. But.... TNT does make a good tool.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel4880
    Since you're from Virginia, I assume you are going to get your tools from Blue Ridge Rescue Suppliers. We bought a bunch of TNT hydraulic equipment (4 rams, 2 spreaders, an O-cutter and a combi tool) for our new heavy rescue, choosing them mostly because we were told BRRS would provide very quick service. We did not find this to be the case. When the system started leaking fluid, we got bounced between Singer (our Pierce dealer) and BRRS, each saying it was the others's problem. It all worked out eventually, but I didn't think we were quite served as well as we could have been.
    Totally disagree about blue resque! any time we have had a problem, Jamey the owner himself almost always is at our station the same day. Sorry you had a bad experience but thats not how blue ridge treats us at all.

Forum Member

Default No Brainer indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by efd281
    We used the TNT Tools here and have been nothing short of impressed with their performance. They are alot lighter than the Hurst tools and run at a higher PSI. Lighter and stronger, hmmm, sounds like a no brainer.
    No Brainer indeed! Everyone knows...it's not all PSI that generates strength at the end of the tool. Consider, piston size, length of blades, or length of arms, linkage location, blade design, etc. I found that higher PSI also means higher failure rate, due to over-stress. Shorter life span, due to over-stress. Pump wear and tear, due to over-stress. Irregardles of pressures, high or low pressure, always make your purchase as an investment, not an expense. Buy quality, not price.

Thread Information