MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firecom in brush truck

We just rechassised a brush truck and the cab is unbearable when on the road because of engine noise. I was looking at a FireCom Intercon model 210. It has 2 outlets for headsets and seems like the best option for our truck. David Clark has 4 out units so thats too much for this truck. Anybody had any experence with this unit. We have FireCom headsets on some port. radios but have no intercoms on any other trucks. Any input would be appreciated.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Permanently Removed

Default My 2 cents...

I just used "FireComm" yesterday and we didnt like it. But,
    it was an old unit. There are several out there. My FD mainly
    uses David Clark.

I gues it is just a matter of "test driving" whats out there.

-Bou

Forum Member

I have installed numerous headsets and used numerous headsets. David Clark is the best I my opinion due to the straight soldered connections and screw type plugs. This prevents damage from pulling and twisting plugs.

Sigtronics and Firecom I rate about the same and if installed right, will perform fine.

You need to look at what you want to do with them. A 2 outlet would be fine. Depending on the type of radio, there may be adjustmen need to be made to mic AGC, isolation transformers put in line, etc.

Firecom are fine and if installed correctly will last you a while if the abuse is kept to a minimum.

Forum Member

We have a D/C setup in our ladder, and FireCom in both ambulances, and the U/RIP truck. I prefer the FireCom systems, but the age of the system in the ladder might play into that.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

I noted the nice mil spec plugs on the D/C unit but they offer a 4 headset unit as thier smallest setup and firecom offers a 1&2 headset unit. I know we don't need to use 4 headsets but the unit looks a little larger than the firecom unit. Thanks for all the info

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

Forum Member

If you use the headset that has a voice activated mike for crew communication, have another one if you plan on using it around the pump. We found this out from experience of course. The running pump would feed in and that's all the crew would hear. We have two types on our grass rigs. One is the voice activated that allows the person to talk with the crew and pushing the button allows radio communications outside the truck. The other lets everyone hear radio and crew traffic but when they press the button they are only talking with the crew. They are really nice to have because you get hearing protection and better communication.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

WOW!

The cost of these setups is incredible. I have priced DW and FC and they range from $1100 for components to $3100 installed.

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

Thread Information