Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Following Fire Trucks on mountain bike, legal or not

Hi

I'm a fire buff, and I tend to follow our local City Fire Rigs on almost all the runs I can, and I"m wondering if it's legal or not to do on a mountain bike.

haha thats funny s&*t... have fun

If your gonna chase fire trucks at least bring a camera and share the action shots with the dept.

Default Following Fire Trucks on Mountain bike, legal or not

Hi

Yeah I know it's funny, but I only usually can keep up if Aerial goes as well, since 500 feet behind Pumper, so then it's easier, if just Pumper or Rescue, then I can't keep up, (though I try to) Speaking of Pumpers--seems our department only uses The Pierce Quantum, Wheeled Coach Resuce, and 95 Foot E-One Aerial, and Second Pierce Pumper usually doesn't go--unless other trucks are unavailable.

If I had a camera, I would bring one along

But I will always support my local department as much as I can..and if I was able to work, I'd be a Firefighter

Default Be Careful!!!!!

I can't speak for the legal aspect of things, but based on the attached link.... BE CAREFUL!!!

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/morris...5411144970.xml
    Last edited by FFTrainer; 08-25-2004 at 11:54 AM.

Itís cool. Just donít get hurt.

Default Following Fire Trucks on Mountain bike, legal or not

I'm always careful when I bike ride, and if my flashing front light(white is working) I turn that on, and never have a problem with cars or anything, and in the rear it flashes red. And I always wear a helmet, and so far haven't had an issue with local PD either since when Aerial goes, whole PD shift responds for traffic control.

my digital Pro 96 scanner doesn't go with me on follow times, since I ususally just hear here where the run is, get bike out, and start rolling, if I'm already out, then I turn on my flashers, turn around, and attempt to follow, I don't know why I'm addicted to Fire Trucks, just can't seem to stop myself from trying around whenever Rescue, Pumper, or Aerial roll.

Southgate Fire Department-Michigan info

Also has a pic of my Favorite Aerial Unit!!!
    Last edited by bikeman; 08-25-2004 at 12:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

In Tennessee it would technically be illegal to follow an emergency vehicle on a bike, motorcycle, or car (not sure about horses ).

That said, I don't think anything would ever be said here so long as you didn't get in the way and followed any directions given by police or fire units. Of course real fire buffs do that anyway. It's the casual rubbernecker that can sometimes be a problem.

Why not ask your local department? (when they're not on a call, of course)
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Why do you need a flashing light on your bike???????

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Why do you need a flashing light on your bike???????
    Probly for the same reason you have one on your firetruck...safety.

I see a lot of motorcycles have this now. I saw a nice honda something or other coming down the highway with its front light flashing. It realy helped with visability.

Bikeman...

You gota get yourself a camera, seriously. I would get a kick out of seeing you post pictures of the fires you ride a bike to. That is pretty unique I would imagine.

A portable scanner might help, you could take shortcuts that the apparatus couldnt take. Say through a park or something.

Stay safe!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

Probly for the same reason you have one on your firetruck...safety.

Nope. I have flashing lights on the fire truck because it is an emergency vehicle and I am responding to an emergency to help, not to buff........

As for flashing lights on motorcycles........ never seen them. Only flashing lights I've seen on Bikes are those that the police have for when they are going to a call........

Forum Member

You can now get for motorcylces headlights that flash similar to a wig-wag, but of course only with one headlight, and taillights that flash when the brake is applied.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Originally posted by fdmhbozz
    You can now get for motorcylces headlights that flash similar to a wig-wag, but of course only with one headlight, and taillights that flash when the brake is applied.
    I just have never seen them. I guess I just thought that using their brights were enough (at least for me they are enough for me to see them).

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Cool

I am just curious if you have an air horn on your bike to go with the flashing light? Or even better a flashing helmet!!!

As for the law, the only law that applies here is common sense. Anyone who follows any emergency vehicle, in either a car or bike is putting themselves in undue harm. Not to mention the innocent person who moves out of the way only to be hit by the fool following the fire truck after it passes. And need I mention what happens if you hit the fire truck, they now have to stop responding to the call because of an unnecessary accident. I am sorry but there are two many wrongs with following emergency vehicles in my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighters pray for bicycling volunteer
    Randolph helper struck by minivan
    Tuesday, August 24, 2004
    BY MAURA McDERMOTT
    Star-Ledger Staff
    Steven Hays has pedaled his 24-speed mountain bike -- complete with license plate marked "Fire Dept." -- to Randolph fire calls at least once a week for a quarter century. He is as well known for the helmet he faithfully straps to his head as he is for his big grin and his eagerness to help.

But the longtime volunteer at Ironia's Fire Company 4 rushed off without his helmet when a call came in Friday afternoon. A minivan struck him when he was halfway home, police said.

Now the 46-year-old is in critical condition on a hospital ventilator, recovering from serious head injuries and broken bones, his mother Catherine said yesterday.

"He's still got a long way to go," his mother said. "He's got a lot of prayers behind him."

The lanky township resident's friendliness and his resolve to make a difference despite his developmental disabilities make him a popular figure in the Ironia section and at Randolph High School, where he has worked part time as a janitor for nearly two decades.

The teens know him and respect him, said Skip Kazaba, security officer at the school.

"He's conscientious about his work, and the kids see that," Kazaba said. "Stevie is very popular, especially because he is outgoing and he has a very pleasant disposition."

An honorary member of Fire Company 4, he loved making the mile-long trip from his home with his mother to the firehouse on Dover Chester Road.

"He'd open the door and kind of see the guys off, he'd hang around and make coffee until the guys got back," Fire Chief Mark Roskam said. "He's always good for a smile, just a great guy ... Mid-winter, he'd get on his bike and come over in all kinds of weather, it never seemed to bother him."

On Friday, firefighters were called to a minor fire at an apartment complex off Center Grove Road.

Hays pedaled to the firehouse, where he and a few other volunteers playfully flicked ice cubes at each other in the afternoon heat.

"All of a sudden they turned around, and Steve had left," Roskam said.

Hays was midway in his mile- long trip home, at the intersection of Dover Chester and East Logan roads, when a southbound Mazda MPV struck him at about 4:40 p.m., police said.

The driver, identified as Joyce Garrow, 56, of Parsippany, could not be reached yesterday.

The circumstances of the collision are under investigation, Sgt. Will Yarzab said.

Roskam, the fire chief, was one of the first emergency workers at the crash site. "We were talking to him, and he was fighting," he said. "He's a tough little guy."

Catherine Hays said she cannot understand why her son -- the youngest of four boys -- did not wear his helmet that day. He had been cleaning the garage when the fire call came in, and he hopped on his bike without it, she said.

Hays remained in the intensive care unit yesterday at Morristown Memorial Hospital, where a helicopter flew him after the crash.

"He's starting to show some response when we talk to him," his mother said. "Every now and then he'll move his arm or maybe he'll kind of blink a little."

Roskam said firefighters have been distraught about the crash.

"It's one of their brothers," he said. "Hopefully, we're going to have him back soon."

Randolph police, the Morris County Prosecutor's Major Crime Unit and the Morris County Sheriff's Department are investigating the incident. Anyone with information is asked to call police at (973) 989-7000.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Unhappy

Hang in there Steven.....your brothers are praying for you!

Thanks George...
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by firenresq77

Nope. I have flashing lights on the fire truck because it is an emergency vehicle and I am responding to an emergency to help, not to buff........
    The reason is still safety.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

"Chasing" a fire truck is VERY dangerous! You tend to get tunnel vision trying not to lose it, and you won't see the hazards around you. The other driver's on the road are in the same boat, and as Nozzlevfd mentioned your error can harm you, the public, and the emergency response crew. I would say anywhere with siren range of the truck you are in increased danger because people are going to be distracted.

Now not to get you too depressed. If you use your scanner to determine the location, and wear your safety gear, and take a slow and cautious route to the fire, you are at no more risk than anybody else on the street that day. Just do as everyone has said, stay alert and stay out of the way (behind the control lines), and be careful going home, becasue the distraction factor can be just as dangerous after the fire when units are demobilizing, as it is before.

And ditto to the camera comment.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

The reason is still safety.
    No.......... It's to tell people to get out of my way, because I have to go help somebody........

sorry for the fella thats for sure ......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information