MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Your Momma...smack!!!

Jerry Springer should so a special on dysfuctional fire departments...

Action from the Louisiana: Grand Coteau fire chief arrested after punching mayor

The Associated Press
    The city's volunteer fire chief was arrested after he punched the mayor - who is also his uncle's ex-wife - in the face following a heated discussion over how to improve Grand Coteau's poor fire rating. Willie Troy Coco, 22, was charged with battery on a public official for punching Mayor Jean Coco. According to the sheriff department's report, Jean Coco fell the floor after Troy Coco struck her. After the incident, the mayor called Grand Coteau's chief of police, who just happens to be her son, Jonty Coco. The police chief then called the sheriff's department. Mayor Coco then went to a local hospital and was given antibiotics. She said she was feeling alright Tuesday evening. "I still have some swelling here," said Jean Coco, pointing to her eye. "I am just shocked."

It all began with a conversation about the fire rating. In late July, the city received a fire rating of 10, which is comparable to not having a fire department at all. According to the mayor, the rating was given because Grand Coteau firefighters lacked training time, and the town did not have records of maintenance or training from previous years. The mayor called a meeting with Troy Coco at Grand Coteau City Hall Tuesday morning. "I thought we had a good conversation," Jean Coco said. Troy Coco said he thought differently. He said he had asked the mayor and the town's Board of Aldermen for equipment to train before the rating's surveyors came, but he was denied. "They kept shooting me down, and the inspector came and saw we were lacking the hours and things. In so many words (the mayor) said it was my fault," Troy Coco said Tuesday after being released from jail on a $5,000 bond.

According to the mayor, Troy Coco's requests were too expensive for her to approve. Tuesday's conversation intensified after the fire chief and the mayor began talking about issuing beepers to two city workers. The fire chief said the two workers in question did not answer to calls. Eventually both the mayor and fire chief began calling each other names. Troy Coco said he became angry after the mayor said something about his mother. Jean Coco explained she made her comment only after Troy began shouting at her and calling her names. According to Troy Coco, the mayor tried to dismiss him from his position as volunteer fire chief. He said he did not mean to strike the mayor, but he had just had enough. "I have two aldermen and the mayor that are against me," he said. "I told her she needed to check the town's laws. She can't fire me without the council's approval." Jean Coco did defend her former nephew when all was said and done. "I know this is not all Troy's fault," she said. She said she wrote a letter requesting permission to suspend the fire chief until a special meeting of the Grand Coteau Board of Aldermen could be called to deal with the issue.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Wow......... Sounds like one big Family Affair........ Is there a cousin or something that's in charge of the streets? Grandpa is the Zoning Inspector?

Forum Member

JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY!!!!
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Truckie

Sounds like one big Family Affair
    At least they kept their clothes on!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Why do I hear banjos playing in the background?
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

"What did the 5 fingers say to the face?!"

SLAP!!!!!!

Forum Member

volunteer fire chief

More dysfunctional than Rescue Me.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Your Momma...smack!!!

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

Action from the Louisiana: Grand Coteau fire chief arrested after punching mayor

The Associated Press
    The city's volunteer fire chief was arrested after he punched the mayor - who is also his uncle's ex-wife - in the face following a heated discussion over how to improve Grand Coteau's poor fire rating. Willie Troy Coco, 22, was charged with battery on a public official for punching Mayor Jean Coco. According to the sheriff department's report, Jean Coco fell the floor after Troy Coco struck her. After the incident, the mayor called Grand Coteau's chief of police, who just happens to be her son, Jonty Coco.
    [/B]
    Welcome to Cocoville....Nuff Said
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Argh

Bones,

Dont always knock the youngsters. Obviously if he is the Fire Chief then the rest of the family didnt want it. All jokes aside thou...In this case age may have a BIG part of it. However, just because I am 22 years old doesnt mean that I cant be an effective and successful Fire Officer. I personally am 20 and a Lieutenant in my Fire Dept. It has helped me realize a whole new aspect of the Fire Service...I also have gotten to learn alot more about it from old jakes like yourself. Keep safe.

Forum Member

Sorry, but you'll have a hard time explaining to me how at 22 someone could have anywhere near enough fire and life experience to be a Chief Officer. A Lt, maybe, but a Chief - Nope.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Sorry, but you'll have a hard time explaining to me how at 22 someone could have anywhere near enough fire and life experience to be a Chief Officer. A Lt, maybe, but a Chief - Nope.
    Might as well get used to it.

The fire service is getting old. When all of the Jakes retire en mass there will be a huge void that needs to be filled...

With 20 something fire officers.

As far as the age/experience thing goes...

If age=leadership ability then why...

Do we have 20-22 year olds leading 18-20 year olds into combat in Iraq???

IMO that is a pretty damn serious situation, yet they do just fine.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just hope Cellblock sees this story.

It should prove to him that his department isn't the most screwed up in his state.

Default Re: Your Momma...smack!!!

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

The city's volunteer fire chief was arrested after he punched the mayor - who is also his uncle's ex-wife - in the face following a heated discussion over how to improve Grand Coteau's poor fire rating.
    [/b] [/B]
    I Wonder why their rating is so low?

Forum Member

Samson, I really hope you are kidding in comparing military groups to volunteer FF's. There is worlds of difference the in the amount and type of training a 20 something leader in the military receives vs a 20 something FF. Let's be real.

The fire service is getting old? Don't you recruit any new blood? Don't you let them learn before putting them in charge? "Let's let the kid be in charge since none of us want to." is not a safe way to operate. Let's stop being our own worst enemy.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

If their rating got lowered, they looked at training records for thepast 3 years. Surely he hasn't been chief that long. Like they say, if it's not on paper, it didn't happen. They don't need expensive equipment to train on. They just need to document what they did. If their rating went down because of training, it's the chief's fault regarless of how young he is.
    Yes, I do thing a chief needs more experience than the 22 year old has probably got.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Originally posted by LadyCapn
    Why do I hear banjos playing in the background?
    Lady I am surprised you would stoop to stereotypes. When something happens in Canada, I dont immediatley start thinking back bacon and toques. I happen to be a STAUNCH fan of South Louisiana. Great people and one of the most interesting cultures in the U.S.. Besides, BANJOS are not really the instrument of choice of that region.Accordians, frotoirs (rub boards)and fiddles are more like it.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I just hope Cellblock sees this story.

It should prove to him that his department isn't the most screwed up in his state.
    UNQUOTE

I saw it. When I first saw the headline I thought for a second, "Aw heck. That may be why the Chief hasn't been in all week." Then I clicked on the link and read the story. This time it was someone elses department. Thankfully.
    As for the 22 year old Chief, I beleive it. I was at a Mutual Aid meeting last night and one of the people there was a 20-something Y/O who I had been in the FF1 class with me in the summer of 2002. He's now the first assistant Chief of his department, the next guy down from the Chief. As for how he got it, he doesn't have Fire Officer 1 or any of those certifications but the departments by-laws say they have to have a Assistant Chief and nobody else wanted the job so he stepped up. As long as the by-laws don't require any particular certification then ANYONE can be an officer. I was nominated and elected to 2 years as my departments parliamentarian because I had... "Book Learning". This GED having high school drop out with various vocational school classes and Army training was the only guy who knew Robert's Rules of Order so I got the job my first year in the department. We have so many board postions that nearly anyone who want's to be on the board can be. Often, when attending the monthly members meeting, I'm the only one there who's not on the Board.
    Family affair? Many departments are just that. The Chief has several members of his family on the roster. Right now one of his daughters is working a paid shift at the station. When I go into work tommorrow evening I may be working with one of the two of his sons-in-law who work parttime there. I don't know which one it will be yet since I didn't check the schedule. Another of his daughters used to work parttime for the department but now is only a volunteer and the treasurer for the VFD. I just came from a EMS call, I responded as a vollie on my day off, and I was the only person on scene from the fire department, paid or vollie, not related by blood or marriage to the Chief. Family affair? You bet.
    Be safe,
    steve aka cellblock

Forum Member

Coocoo for cookoo puffs ............. GOOFS
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Early Adopter

Unhappy Decades behind

I think most of us that post here are in an elite group. Simply because we care enough about firefighting that we take time to come here, post & learn more sets us apart. And because of that, it's easy to forget about the thousands of departments & firefighters that are in an entirely different dimension.

There are still a lot of places where being a firefighter isn't glamorous and isn't about bingo or firehouse bars. Unfortunately, those are the places where folks learn by doing and not by attending any sort of academy. They are the places where a 1960 pumper gets parked in an old service station and driven by whoever is close. Those are the places where the important details like proper PPE get overlooked in the name of helping a neighbor.

In my state, there are many departments that exist in communities with just one or two old pumpers, mutual aid 20 minutes away and an EXTREMELY small core of volunteers who are able to respond. Sometimes, the chief isn't the person with the most experience but the one person that's willing to do the job. Those departments function in a different world than most of us. I put an airpack on for every fire alarm. I know departments with trucks that have no air packs mounted anywhere.

I'm not making excuses for these folks... I'm just posting a reminder that they are out there. They are the departments that have slipped through the cracks. And there are many more of them than you imagine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I read the story and tried to draw the family tree only to realize it had no branches.

On a serious note, coz is right. There are tons of departments out there that aren't the ideal situation that the rest of us may have. The Chief is the person that is willing to take responsibility for the department. Farming communities are full of people that are related to each other, and if one family member does it, they all do it just to protect each other's farms. Otherwise they could lose their livelihoods because no one was around to respond.

As far as the age debate: training doesn't equal maturity. I'm sure we all know people that are well trained and highly immature, and some that are not well trained but mature enough to realize they need more and seek it when available. It's just not available in some areas.

I remember a story from Vincent Dunn who was visiting a midwest department when they got the call for a house fire. 3 first generation SCBAs, the rest had painter's masks and goggles, and no one had bunker gear. Jean, work boots, and multiple hooded sweatshirts were it for PPE. Be happy for what you have.

- Brian

Forum Member

hmm, the ex-aunt is the mayor, her son is the police chief, her nephew is the fire chief. all have the last name of coco... notice how close the spelling for all thress is to coocoo....
    Troy Coco said he became angry after the mayor said something about his mother. Jean Coco explained she made her comment only after Troy began shouting at her and calling her names.
    now, where else would the mayor get away with saying something about the fire chief's mother?

I would say this is a bad situation from the begining, because along with their professional interactions, they also have the personal ones. especially with the mayor being the ex-wife of the fire chief's uncle.

I do think the ambulace that took her to the hospital was probably driven by fire chief's father, and the doctor treating her was the police chief's little sister

btw, there is nothing wrong with having family member on the department. we've had brothers, father and sons, husband and wives, and it's not a problem. on the squad, we once had the father as the captain, his son as the president, and the secretary was the captain's wife. and it just happened that they were the ones who were elected, and they all did a good job. it's only a problem when you have one family holding office or running the dept, and they continually prevent anyone else from gaining power or changing anything that would disagree with what one member of the department would want.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

I am suprised and dissapointed fellow Firehouse Forum members...

Not a single gentleman steped forward and procliamed his offence at the striking of a lady.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote: I am suprised and dissapointed fellow Firehouse Forum members...

Not a single gentleman steped forward and procliamed his offence at the striking of a lady.

Who said she was a lady?

MembersZone Subscriber

Who said she was a lady?
    Dangit, beat me to it!!!

Forum Member

Sounds to me that there is a little too much chlorine in that gene pool
    All joking aside folks this looks like another classic case of the towns council not stepping up to the plate to back up the fire dept. They say that the requests were too expensive, here we go again putting a price tag on someones life. But you can be dam sure that if the fire was at their residence and the fire dept. couldn't put the fire out they would be the first to blame said fire dept. even if they didn't have the proper resourses to do the job.

Thread Information