Thread: Keys to Station

Forum Member

Post Keys to Station

I have been trying to get the juniors in our dept keys to the station after they have been with the dept for 6 months. I was wondering if any other juniors get keys to their station?

Forum Member

If you are not paid, not a officer, or a driver, you hvae no business with a key. Jr's and Explorers have no business with station keys. That is what doorbells are for.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

As a "junior" I'd advise against it. As much as I'd protest if I wasn't given the option, do they really need it?

HNFC FF/President

All members get the code to the engine room door after 3 months (firefighter/jr. firefighter) However when it comes to Juniors, when they first get the code, it's only meant for them if they are the first people to the station to gain entry and open the bay doors. After another 3 months of good service, that little "request" is lifted and they can come up whenever...to look through the trucks, check their gear, check the dry-erase board, etc.

Hey, why not let juniors have the code/key to their stations? One time we had a junior report a still alarm for a dwelling fire. He was up at the station on a warm day looking through the trucks and had the bay doors open...the person across the street came home to find their house full of smoke. That person was goin to call 911, but noticed the doors at the station open and ran there. He told our junior what was goin on and the junior then got on radio and called it in, made for a quicker dispatch and knockdown of what turned out to be room and contents.

by the way, our juniors all go through a radio procedures lesson given by the chief.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Yes, our Juniors get keys to the building. They are expected to spend some time down there and learn where equipment is on the trucks so we give them the chance to get in the building and do that. Sometimes I wonder why someone would want to join some departments as a Junior at all...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

my department gives juniors the combination to the fire house once they become a memebr. they can come and go as they please, as long as they abide by the curfew rules.

the town next to mine doesn't give their juniors the combination. the reason for this is that juniors aren't allowed to be in the firehouse unless a senior member is there too. so the thinking is, if a senior member lets you in, it's ok, but if there is no senior member, you get no entry.

I think it boils down to this: if you are allowed in the firehouse alone (to learn the trucks, to hang out, whatever), then you should be given access via a key or combination. if not, then there is no need for you to have it.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

our explorers arent allowed in without an advisor .......so no they dont get access.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

We let our Jr's have the code/key to the stations, if they get there first they can unlock the doors and open overhead doors for everyone else. Also our tanker has a slow air leak, if it is a fire requiring one of 2 trucks with these leaks they are told to start them trucks so they have time to warm up and build full air pressure. Its kinda nice coming to the fire hall and having everything ready to go. Some of our Jr's especially when i was a jr, in the past have also been kind enough on a boring day to go to the hall and wash trucks, sweep floors, and similar duties.

Forum Member

Back when we actually had an acknowledged explorer program, the explorers were not allowed in the station unless a member of the department was present.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

No keys, No codes.

An advisor or FD officer must be present for an explorer to enter.

Here no cadets (explorers/juniors) get keys to the stations. Our department utilizes a swipe key that gets waved in front of a sensor. The key opens the doors at any of our three stations and the company room for your company. There are other keys that open everything and all combinations. But the only time you get the key is when your sworn into the department as a member. You get the following at that point:
    -Swipe Key to stations
    -Pager and Charger
    -Accountability Tag
    -Turnout Gear
    -PASS Alarm
    -Blue Light Card
    -FF Plate For Car
    -Your Company Sticker/Decal
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

I wanted to add one more thing. In some departments the age for explorers is very young. In my department you can become a cadet at 12 years old. In my honest opinion, a explorer/junior/cadet thats 12 years old should:
    1- Not be in a fire station unattended
    2- Not be thinking about the firehouse while they have school and things

I also believe that the older cadets who are 17 and possibly 16 who are going to be in the department soon, should be able to go into the house. Why not let them get familiar with the truck and the station. Even if they go in they can do work and if a call comes in they can start getting things ready for the incoming guys in the department. Thats my honest opinion.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

I got a key as soon as I joined....Alot of the time especially in the summer I'd be first to the hall so I got it all opened up
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Being that my post is with a large city dept. There is allways someone at the station, unless they are out on a call. It is a respect issue, we are explorers, this is their (ff's / medics) second home. Would you just barge into someone elses home?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had the combo when I was a Junior, and I feel that the responsible Juniors should be allowed to have it. However, there are a bunch of reckless ones out there too, and they think of this profession as more of a game or a way to gain attention, and these are the ones that don't need access to the station when no senior members are around. One reckless Junior tearing up a piece of equipment he was showing off to his buddies can cause a whole program to be shut down.
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Same with my department we had a problem with a few explorers fooling around on the firetrucks and from then on only time they are allowed there is for Fire calls or if an advisor or Officer is present
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Our explorers recieve keys to the station when they gain their combo-membership with the dept. at age 16.

From 14-16 years of age, you have monday nights, or whenever someone else is there, which is often, to train, familiarize, etc..
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

I am the president of a explorers group in florida, I believe that explorers should not be aloud to go into the firehouse when a FF/Medic are in the building. The only time that you will find an explorer unatended in our dept. is when explorers are at a station for training and the station gets a call then that is acceptable. But they will never be given the combo to the station, as the president I dont even get to get it, no questions asked.

i asked for a key about 3 months after joining. i was then given a key to the station, a security code, and a key to the office. since getting the key i have been the first to arrive for a call around 10 times. i also head over a little early when we are going to a parade to start washing some apparatus.

HNFC FF/President

it's a good thing that i have the code to my station...like i've stated before, i've been the first guy to the station on many occasions. Also, i do the NFIRS reports for my company and needed access to the station and office computer to do the reports.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Default Keys to Station

Our juniors get the combination to get in to the firehouse, and the curfew that we have is effective to everyone, (2400 to 0600) unless they are responding to a call. The juniors are allowed in the receration room, i find having the combination works very well because we can come in as we want and have things ready for the senior members when they come in for a call. Also we have coolers of drinks in our trucks, when juniors have spare time they come in and fill the coolers up with ice. Also if they cant drive sometimes they hang out at the station after school and wait for a call. I think all juniors should have the combination or key.

Thread Information