Question Military reserves and FF employment

I am pre-service and am currently training at a local community college Fire Academy. Since I am going to school full time and only working part time, I'm really tearing through my savings to pay my bills. After finishing the Academy I am considering the Army reserves to help pay for school (will continue on for paramedic license). I would sign a six year agreement with the Army to be a "ready reserve". Of course I would have the usual commitment of one weekend a month and two weeks a year to give to the reserves (also with the possiblilty of deployment in those six years).

Would this kind of commitment to the military have a negative impact on my future employment chances with a fire department when I start searching for a job???

Still weighing my options...

Thank you

Bobby

Forum Member

There are many people here from both military & also management who can weigh in more than I. However, it has been my experience that military time looks very favorably to employers in terms of adapting to our paramilitary structure in the fire service. In my opinion, if the military is something you truly want along with the fire service, go for it. You have to do what you have to do, and if a department should pass you over for this other commitment, then they probably weren't worth going to anyway. Best of luck, and let us know what you end up doing. Take care
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

I find the USNR and fire career to be a great combo but my reserve unit has good flexibility. If my weekend drill conflicts with fire dept, it's usually not a problem to resked USNR to my 4-days off. Also, I get a lot of additional drills with USNR which is great for retirement and extra cash.

On the downside, I was recalled to active duty one month before my Fire Dept. training started (5+ month academy). I was on active duty for 1 year and just lucked out that there was another class when I demobilized. There are only about 3 classes every 5-6 years.

You have to make your priorities clear....i.e, as a Firefighter/EMT I will not let weekend drills interefere with my fire career. If USNR becomes unflexible or it's not win/win for me to resked drills, I'll punch out of the reserves. If I got recalled again, military takes priority over fire....etc.

Good luck. Military and Fire are a win/win combo. Both sides are getting value-added service. Just have your priorities clear if you go into an interview situation.

Default thank you

Thank you for the replies. They have been very helpful.

Thanks again

Bobby

MembersZone Subscriber

Default good luck

I was currently in the National Guard when I was hired at cfd the chiefs knew all about it and how much time I need to put in for the Guard they said they would work around it. BUT GESS WHAT they didn't it got to be a fight just to get 12hrs off for drill
    All i have to say is GOOD LUCK.

Thread Information