Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default lock pick vs forcible entry tools

I am thinking of carrying a lock pick set. Does anyone carry a lock pick set or lock pick gun with them or on their apparatus; Or is the generel opinion that forcible entry tools do a faster job

Thanks

F.E. defined: Forcible Entry or Finesse Entry.

Carry both and use the appropriate means

MembersZone Subscriber

All we have are the forcible entry tools. I'd love to get a chance to use the pick set though.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Depending on the situation, I guess it could come in handy...... I never thought about them, to be honest....... I would rather use tools to force in........

I know we dont have a lock pic set or gun ...........so gotta use tools.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Two words...property conservation, we were always taught that the less damage YOU do in trying to put out a fire makes you look better. Although if need be break it

There isn't always a fire on the other side of the door..... If i'm dispatched out to a lock out with risk of fire (IE. Someone has locked themselves out of a house, but left the stove on), I see no reason to bash down the front door with a sledge, or break a window.....

Both have their place in our job..... But IMO, i'm not going to make out like James Bond and try to pick a lock... because if you have time to do that, you've got time to call a locksmith and get him to do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

If you are caught with lock picks on your person or POV, you could find yourself being arrested for being in possession of burglary tools.I will stick with the K tool.

Two words...property conservation, we were always taught that the less damage YOU do in trying to put out a fire
    For "fires" we use Forcible Entry.

For AFAs and the like, we use Finesse Entry

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Lock pick sets take a fair bit of knowledge and practice to use efficiently. Just because you can open a $10 Weiser lock in under 20 seconds, doesn't mean that you will be able to open a $50 Schlage cylinder as easily. I would not consider that a viable option unless I had a certified locksmith on the dept. The comment on legal authority to carry them without a locksmith license can be valid as well (it is not legal here).

The pick guns however, can be utilized with minimal training and practice, and may be a viable option if they are legal to carry in your region. Just keep in mind that they either work in the first 30-60 seconds, or the door gets introduced to Mr. Haligan.

I do agree with the commment on finese entry when a life hazard is not identified. Don't forget the old "Try before you Pry right"?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

As a licenced locksmith, I can tell you that if you have time to use a lock picking device, it aint no emergency, and if its an emergency get out the big tools. I have worked on many locks in the past 20 years as a locksmith and most locks will give way somewhat easily, and I say somewhat with reservation, and then there are locks that you can piddle with for a great deal of time and still not open them. The crazy thing in some cases is that you can go back to an unyielding lock later and open it in 10 seconds. Then there are many locks out there and they are becoming more common that are not pickable. High security locks are being used more and more in residential applications so a picking device is out of the question.
    If anybody thinks that picking a lock is like they do it in the movies you are dreaming in technicolor, it just don't happen that way
    PROTOMKV is absolutly correct in saying that lock picks even for fire depts. are restricted tools and if in posession without a licence to carry said items is a criminal offence. That being said many different jurisdictions will issue emergency services a restricted licence, you will have to contact the proper authorities to find out.

Thread Information