Default in need of a career decision

im starting my EMS Program (emt-paramedic) as well as my volunteer classes (for my local Fire-Rescue) in january........

it's now almost september, meaning there is 4 months till then! Should i go out and buy "The Essentials of FIREFIGHTING-4th edition" now and start reading to get ahead or wait till fire college (which will be in january of 2007;only b/c i want to get my paramedic first, then go to fire college)

im taking algebra/ Anatomy II now while working at the local hospital fri-monday mornings working 12hr shifts

Forum Member

When do you eat and sleep? Wait to buy your Essentials book. You never know if a new addition will come out. EMT-P is going to take up most of your time. One thing at a time. I know, I worked 6 days a week, was finishing my bachelors degree, and started my MFR and Firefighter 1 training all at the same time. It was NUTS!.

Good luck.

Thanks...but what i was trying to say was that, i really want to show the guys i know what im talking about when i go and volunteer in january. i will get another essentials book if it goes to a new edition.

i sleep, just not a lot.. i sleep when i can. i know it seems like a full schedule, and it is, but i need to stay up in the game and get ahead of those who go to fire college and try to apply w/o volunteering right away. Our fire-rescue is doing a "10 year plan" hiring 250+ FF starting 2001 ending 2010. like i said, paramedic school ends in 2006, meaning ill get into fire college hopefully first thing in 2007!

i just "want the badge" and i'll do everything i can to make sure i do!

which means...work (fri,sat,sun 7p-7a)
    emt (mon,wed's 8a-12p)
    volunteer classes (monday and ___ 7p-11p)
    workouts (somewhere inbetween)
    *and i have to see the wife occasionally
    Last edited by NYI4LIFE; 08-29-2004 at 03:02 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

FB1138 is right. Wait on the book. Concentrate on the classes you are taking. Study hard and do well. The Volunteer Department is probably more concerned about a good attitude. They and your instructors can teach knowlege, skill comes with time and experience, work ethic is a decision, and attitude is something you just have.
    Train Hard. Be Safe

Forum Member

Effective Jan 1. 2005 Florida will require all structure firefighters to be 160hrs certified. That is ff1 in this stste the required book for that and the minium standards program is Essentials 4th ed. You will need it for your volunteer class, and you have 4 months, your volunteer department should provide you with the book for class.

Thread Information