Thread: Surf's Up

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Surf's Up

NY Daily News 8/29/04

Volcano could unleash horror

BY PAUL H.B. SHIN
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A tsunami triggered by a volcanic eruption on an island off the coast of Africa could result in mountainous waves up to 75 feet high crashing into New York and other East Coast cities, scientists are warning.
    A 12-mile-wide chunk of the Cumbre Vieja volcano on the Canary Islands rattled loose during a previous eruption and is at risk of smashing into the Atlantic Ocean, triggering what could be one of the largest tidal waves in recorded history, researchers told Britain's Royal Institution earlier this month.

"It's not a matter of if, but when," said Prof. Bill McGuire, director of the Benfield Grieg Hazard Research Centre at University College in London.

In the deep seas, a tidal wave created by such a landslide would travel at the speed of a jetliner - up to 600 mph - meaning U.S. coastal cities would have eight to 10 hours of warning before a mountainous wall of water reared up on its shores, McGuire said.
    Last edited by E229Lt; 08-29-2004 at 03:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh, did I mention this has been going on since 2001?

MembersZone Subscriber

Get your scuba gear ready it's going to be a wet one.E229LT you always have such tact in your posts and replies my helmet comes off to you.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

hehehe too funny

Funny thing, I was in Snopes this morning to find the National Firefighters Day info for another thread ... didn't see anything on the tsunami but I did stumble across the conspiracy theory in my search. If the thread wasn't locked down I coulda posted that for Jerry HAHAHAHA

Thanks for the morning chuckle, Artie!
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 08-29-2004 at 05:30 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I watched a show on the discovery channel about a volcano near the one in the article, and how along time ago there was actualy a tidal wave that riped through what is now newengland and the eastern seabord. This was way before the US was even explored on.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

- Lou, when I saw the title of your thread I thought that this might be a thread about how you were coming Down Under to visit and surf our legendary Bell's Beach which isn't far from here - oh well...

Don't worry we'll get you down here one day
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well Well, I guess the article on fire department response to a tidal wave in FE a few months ago might be useful afterall.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Wasn't there a recent movie where that happened??????????

Thread Information