Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default National F/F Day

There were several emails going around pushing for a permanent National Firefighters Day. Is there anyone/group working on this idea? If so, who is the contact person?

How about it Firehouse.com, how can I get you to help push this Idea?

I don't think it should be on Sept. 11, probably in October around the usual week of activities.
    Last edited by GaCapt; 08-29-2004 at 05:49 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Not Here, Yet.............

I'm not aware of such a movement. There was a lot of talk about it after 9-11, but it quieted down. Personally, I think it's a good idea, and I see nothing wrong with going after such a day. Would 9-11 be an appropriate date? I think that would be open to discussion. AND, just maybe, if there is no group out there pushing this, perhaps it's time to start one.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I don't know if 9/11 would be appropriate or inappropriate. I guess you can make an argument for both sides. The inappropriate being that thousands died in 9/11.

I personally wouldn't think it's inappropriate, but then again I might be a bit biased.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I remember those email petitions .... did a quick search in Snopes under National Firefighters Day and this was the first link on their list.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/firemen.asp

Claim: An e-mail petition seeks to establish a National Firefighters Day.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

Firefighters from all over have come to the aid and rescue of the tragedy in New York and Washington D.C. Many firefighters have lost their lives to save someone else's. The truth of the matter is they do this every single day. They truly are heroes. I know many of you feel the same as I do ó helpless, especially those of us who live far from NY and DC. We all want to do something, show our appreciation, our support. I think we can . . .

In honor of the bravery, courage and determination of American firefighters, there should be a day in our nation to celebrate and appreciate their hard work and never ending passion for saving lives.

Let's start a petition for a National Firefighters Day. Will you join me? Please type in the chronological number, your name, city and state and pass it along. You must copy this message into your outgoing e-mail in order to add your name.

Thank you.

* When the list reaches 500 please Email to skfcardart@hotmail.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am Connor Geraghty, of Rockville Centre, NY. I lost my Dad on September 11th; he was Chief Edward Geraghty, Battalion 9, New York City Fire Department. He lost his life with many other heroes that day, victims of the terrorists.

Firefighters from all over have come to the aid and rescue of the tragedy in New York and Washington, D.C. Many firefighters have lost their lives to save someone else's; the truth of the matter is, they do this every single day. They truly are heroes. I know many people feel helpless, especially those who live far from NYC and D.C. We all want to do something, show our appreciation, our support. I think we can . . .

In honor of the bravery, courage and determination of American firefighters, there should be a day in our nation to celebrate and appreciate their hard work and never-ending passion for saving lives. I think we should honor all those other heroes who still live today.

Please join me. Let's start a petition for a National Firefighters Day.

Will you help make every September 11th "National Firefighters Day"?

Please join me!
    Thank you!

Connor Geraghty, 14
    Rockville Centre, NY (I Love u DAD!!)
    (When this list reaches 250 names, please send it to me at: ceg8587@aol.com )

Origins: In the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the U.S., public sentiment ran high for honoring firefighters and their valiant service in a difficult and dangerous job with the establishment of a National Firefighters Day. In fact, a National Firefighters Day had already been proclaimed by executive order at least twice in recent years, in 1991 by President Bush and again in 1993 by President Clinton. Neither of these proclamations established a permanent, annual day of honor for firefighters, however.

The two e-mail petitions quoted above both began to circulate shortly after September 11, the second started out by Connor Geraghty, the son of Edward Geraghty, a Battalion Chief with the New York City Fire Department who lost his life in the World Trade Center attacks on September 11. Both suffered from some of the usual pitfalls of Internet petitions: the e-mail account listed in the first petition was quickly shut down, and the flood of responses frequently filled up Connor Geraghty's mailbox and caused incoming messages to bounce. Connor's petition did serve the purpose of calling wider attention to his cause: his mother forwarded it to New York Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy, who in turn read a tribute to Connor and Edward Geraghty into the Congressional Record.

As far as we know, no legislative effort has yet been undertaken to establish a National Firefighters Day. Also, according to a November 2001 New York Post article, "Connor initially wanted Firefighters Day to be held on Sept. 11, but now he thinks that date should be reserved for all sorts of heroes. Firefighters, he firmly believes, deserve another day all their own."

For those still interested in establishing a National Firefighters Day, sponsoring a petition on the web rather than via e-mail is much more practical. Also, taking a few extra minutes to send letters to Congressional representatives rather than simply adding names to an e-petition would be a worthwhile effort.

Last updated: 16 January 2004
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Default National F/F Day

I'm not sure our legislators pay much attention to those petitions, especially those fill in the blank type. I wrote a letter to my Congressman and received a letter back which stated that there has nothing been brought up about a permanent National Firefighters Day. He didn't offer to bring the idea up either. Big help he was.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

As brothers we KNOW the sacrifices made on 9-11 and understood long before that days what this life has always been about. A National FF Day is an appropriate and long overdue honor for us all.
    Making it 9-11 of every year, you run the possibilty of the general public confusing the terrible tragedy of that day with the courage, honor and sacrifice made every day by thousands of brothers. I, for one, believe that 9-11 belongs to the heros of that day. -bob-

Personally, I'm just happy to see the citizen's in my city support our department. We went to them in February and asked for a sales tax to split our Department of Public Safety into seperate police and fire departments. Mere days after the legislature passed the largest tax hike in state history... our citizens voted in favor of the tax. I'll take that sort of thing over a "Firefighters' Day" any day of the year because it means something to the citizens and to the firefighters. A national holiday honoring the fire service would probably end up being a day where politicians give more b.s. lip service to firefighters than they already do.

MembersZone Subscriber bolivas203's Avatar

Default National FF's Day

Originally posted by cozmosis
    Personally, I'm just happy to see the citizen's in my city support our department. We went to them in February and asked for a sales tax to split our Department of Public Safety into seperate police and fire departments. Mere days after the legislature passed the largest tax hike in state history... our citizens voted in favor of the tax. I'll take that sort of thing over a "Firefighters' Day" any day of the year because it means something to the citizens and to the firefighters. A national holiday honoring the fire service would probably end up being a day where politicians give more b.s. lip service to firefighters than they already do.
    I would have to agree w/ you coz..

If you go around looking to establish a National Firefighter's Day, it will shortly be followed by the PD petitioning for their day and then privatized EMS workers will want their day and so on and so on. We did not sign up to do this job for any recognition (if you did, you are in this business for the wrong reasons). Be proud of yourselves, but be humble as well.

It is always nice to be appreciated, but if you have to petition for the appreciation, then it becomes nullified. Yes we go above and beyond what the average man/woman does, but that is what we signed up for. We are all just spokes on the proverbial wheel and there are many important folks out there who also do some amazing/important jobs as well.

I am not trying to **** in anyone's wheaties, just trying to put it in perspective.
    Stay alert and be safe.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Originally posted by cozmosis
    a day where politicians give more b.s. lip service to firefighters than they already do.

I didn't think that would be possible...... I'm seeing, and appreciating, a look at both side of the idea, and I hope more of you will speak up. This is a discussion that should interest, and involve, all of you.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I think there's already to many people in the fire service looking for and even demanding (begging) recognition. Firefighters are going to petition for their own National Day?? Come on. Do the job you signed up for and stop blowing your own horns.

Default Blowing our own horns?

The emails I read about this idea was started by family members of Firefighters killed in the 9/11 attack. I don't feel like we are blowing our own horn, just supporting them. I think our legislators would like to know if we, Firefighters, want this or not before they go to the trouble of establishing a permanent National Firefighters Day. Lawenforcement has May 12 as their day, I don't see anything wrong with us having one.

Personally, I don't think Sept 11 would be appropriate but maybe a certain day like the second Friday in October or a date might be better. Most non firefighters I talk to want to do something to honor us and think this would be a good way to do that if that's what we want.

I have ask Firehouse.com if they could put up a survey on their board and we'll see this is something Firefighters want or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was a volunteer firefighter, I was in favor of a National Firefighters Day. There are a lot of volunteer firefighters who do a wonderful job and are under appreciated. A National Firefighters Day would help to recognize them, if just for one day a year. Now that I'm a professional firefighter, I don't find myself being in such favor of a NFD. This is my job now. I don't feel I need any kind of special national recognition for just doing my job. What about the garbagemen, the cooks, the cashiers and everyone else that goes to work every day and does their job the best they can. If you're going to recognize me, then you should recognize them too. Perhaps a National Volunteers Day would be a more appropriate idea. Something to recognize all volunteers, not just volunteer firefighters, who unselfishly donate their time to a good cause.

Default Include Everyone?

I have heard this before about including all workers but not from a fellow Firefighter. There is one main difference working in public safety and that is in our job description we are ask to put ourselves in harms way to protect the public. No other job, except Military, has this as part of their duties.

Forum Member

How about this. In regards to 9-11, and in regards to having a National Firefighters Day, make it a National Rescue Workers Day. That should cover PD, FD, and EMS since all three were involved in the attacks. As per Rescue personnel, FD's lost the most but they were not the only ones on the job that day.

I went to a Healing Field that they have set up off of I-20 in Brandon, MS just yesterday. They put an American flag for every single person lost in 9-11, not just firefighters, ems and pd. There were over 2000 flags on that field. They also had a seperate field for those lost in Iraq, our own and every other country that are friends. They also had a large flag with over 100 painted peices of cloth that they had elementery children paint. Their theme was 'What does America mean?' Firefighters, Police, and EMS were all on there as well as the soilders.

I like this idea of honoring our brothers and sisters who have fallen, not only on 9-11 but all the other 70 or so fd's lost this year, and those lost in years past. I do feel, however, that it should not be held on 9-11 because that day has enough meaning. If anything, set it in Fire Prevention week or something.

Forum Member

Personally the idea of firefighters starting a National Firefighters Day for public consumption sounds self-serving as all hell. That being said, the idea of one day being set aside nationally by firefighters to hold quiet, private ceremonies to honor our own sounds like a damn fine idea .... but not on Sept 11 - that is a national day of mourning for all victims.

Just My Thoughts.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll agree with MattyJ and others. I'm not in favor of tooting our own horn.

I could however, agree with having a Firefighter's Memorial Day for all our fallen brothers and sisters.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

I Don't know about the rest of you all.. But on October 6th, 1996 our Governor than George Allen Recognize that date to be VIrginia Firefighter Appreciation Day in the Commonwealth of Virginia..
    I really believe that there should be a national Day for Firefighters. I don't think that should be on 9/11.. remember that is a national day of mourning. and we had resue,policeofficers and civilins who perished. 9/11 should be for mourning. another day should be picked to celebrate the ones who are still here. that's just my thoughts on that. take care and God bless..

As a police officer and a volunteer firefighter, I'd like to chime in with my opinion on a National Firefighter Day. Perhaps some of you are not aware that there is an "official" Police Memorial Day that was signed into law by President Kennedy to designate May 15th as this date. The week of May 15th is also known as "Police Week". These dates are used primarily to remember those in law enforcement who have given their lives in the line of duty. Many agencies also use this time to promote crime prevention, hold open houses and do other public relations activities.

With that in mind, I don't understand why there is such a problem in establishing a National Firefighter Day. In my humble opinion, we should mirror what law enforcement has done and try to establish a National Fire Fighter Memorial Day. Since there already exists a precident for this, there should be little problem in moving it into law. As for setting a date, we already have a Fire Prevention Week each year in October. During this time, many departments take time ro remember firefighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty. So, it seems very logical to me that we settle on one day in October to designate as "Firefighter Memorial Day" and then use the week that that date falls on to be "Fire Prevention Week". This way, we are not going to be just "tooting our own horns", but rather explanding upon an already established event.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information