Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Does your department have mandatory training?

My department has mandatory training that's done via computer. Not only that, but there is a mandatory one hour time period during your shift that's supposed to be devoted to training (you can incorporate the computer training to that one hour training). How about yours, what kind of mandatory training do they have you doing?

Two hours per 24 hour shift (not counting weekends/holidays). Evolutions/drills, videos, class room, pre-plans and the like are all counted as training. Also 2 hours night training with the vols per month. The county also requires 3 hours CME for all EMT's/Medics per month.

Dave

Does your department have mandatory training?
    NO.

for us volunteers, we have 1 two hour mandatory training session every month. i have heard of career departments that actually set up your daily schedule for you, and usually training is at least one hour per shift.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

100 HOURS MINIMUM.

Sorry, I left the Caps lock on after typing WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question would be, what is the training your talking about? Strictly fire type of training, or EMS and special ops? We are required to maintain our EMT license as a condition of employment, and the 40 hour annual refresher course is taught on duty. We also have monthly inservice's, covering topics in all avenue's of our job. Last month we worked with nozzles, deluge sets, and water tower operations. That also is taught on duty, 4 or 5 companies are scheduled at a time and train on-duty out of service. These sessions usually run 3 hours, and are held monthly. Our special team members, covering collapse, confined space etc.... train monthly on duty also, that lasts about 8 hours per session.

Now I understand Artie !!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Well, to be more specific... First we have a monthly hose evolution that changes every month. We run each evolution 3 or 4 times. Each shift also has 10 preplans per station per month. We have both county and state EMS CME's that are done each month. Plus we train with the volinteers, each shift gets one volunteer drill per month. And we watch a working fire video, one per month.

That's the monthly training. On top of that we do EVOC and pump recertification, vehicle extrication, water rescue and hi angle rescue training. The EVOC and pump recert is once a year, the others several times.

Next month we start county firefighter survival training. A couple months ago we did county hi-rise training. Last winter we did the IAFF hazmat training. Last summer it was county RIG (RIT,FAST) training.

And if that's not enough, we also do our own company training. Just last shift we did an evolution with the aerial and stokes basket.

And since today's Sunday, we did Lay-Z-Boy training

Dave

I suppose I was referring to in-station drills and mandatory department training. We do our recert stuff in-house as well (I actually just finished my EMT recert earlier today), and all other drills are pretty much layed out by what the LT decides to do that day. Probe's have it pretty bad, they have a huge packet they have to complete by their 6 month assesment (with SOP summaries included) on top of EMS recert, regular computer training videos, In-house drills, etc. I like it because I stay busy most of the day, but it does get a bit tiring after a while. The only break I received from training was because Hurrican Charley hit here and we were too busy to do training for a few shifts in a row.
    "When arriving at a Hazardous Materials Incident, never drive past the dead cops."

"Never eat more than your mask can hold."

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

we have a mandatory meeting on the first thursday of every month. we do all the basic house keeping items in the station, and the township board also has their meeting. we also have a mandatory trainings the 3ed thrusday of everymonth.

75% attendance is required at weekly trainings.

Duty crews do about a 2hr training every shift. The PT/ Volunteers also have training Weds. Morning and Thurs. Evening. Those are about 3-4 hours. All personnel are required to attend 70% of those training in the disciplines they are trained in. First week of the month is HAZMAT, 2nd Fire, 3rd EMS, 4th Fire. I show up to almost all becuase I work in the training bureau..plus EASY Comp time.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Default Yup

Mandatory (Yearly):

10 Hours of OSHA (Firefighter PPE and Safety)
    Bloodborne Pathegens Class
    Haz-Mat Awarness
    Jason
    Paid Professional Firefighter/ EMT
    Department Computer Administrator
    City of Beacon, NY Fire Department (IAFF Local 3490)

http://www.BeaconFD.org (Department's Website)
    http://www.BeaconCareerFirefighters.o rg (Job's Union Site)

We have drills every Monday (have morning and night sessions)........

You are required to make 2 drills per month out of the 8. Usually don't have too many problems with people not making the drills unless it's an excused absence due to school or work

MembersZone Subscriber

We conduct training about 2 to 3 hours every shift, not to include Tuesdays and Saturday drills. This starts with classroom instruction and then practical skills in the field. On days where the weather plays a factor, we lean more towards medical training with practical drills after classroom instruction.

Thread Information