MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the applicator goes, try an old square piece of carpet. This works very well, it is stiff enough to clean but still soft enough to get all around the diamonds. We used to use a polishing liquid that had a rabbit on the front and it said something about "the lazy mans polish" this worked very well but I don't remember the name. We used to have to purchase it at a truck stop because no other store carried it.

-Thanks Steve

MembersZone Subscriber

We used metal wax this year which i found on the internet....I DO NOT work for metal wax but go to metalwax.com it works really really well too...its just very labor intensive!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Check with a local truck washing company. We had a guy who brought some stuff from his P/T job in and it worked well. Sorry I do not remember the brand.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

There are some before and afters under Engines.

They were all taken recently, the date on my camera was off by about ten years.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rcktfb71/my_photos
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

From someone that has been around apparatus for 28 plus years and up until 2 years ago did an average of 15 shows a year, detailing and cleaning many pieces of apparatus for each show it would make me quite happy if we NEVER put a piece of diamond plate on another fire truck. I have used everything under the sun... and enough Flits to cover the globe two or three times. I love the reflective chevrons we are starting to see on the rear of apparatus. Hit that with soap and water and dry it.... done... ready for the show.

One of the reasons we are having so many problems with the bright work on apparatus is the new treatments they use on the roads in the winter time. Goes on wet, before the storm starts and is more caustic than our old salt. Causing big problems with trucking fleets. Last fall i drove a brand new truck through a recently treated area, about 20 miles and you should have seen the diamond plate when I stoped that night. Dull, spotted and had runs in it. I washed it off that day but to late.

Thread Information