Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Polished diamond plate cleaning

I know this sounds like a wicked whacker question but our AC has a big hard on right now about polishing the diamond plate on all the trucks. Our lead ladder has the rear end comprised entirely of polished diamond plate. It is now 17 years old and in need of cleaning (his opinion). We are trying several products (never dull, Mother's, Flitz, etc) with some success (about equal). IS there a better option out there? The diamond plate is very problematic due to the raised edges.
    Suggestions?
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

Flitz makes a "polishing ball" that you attach to a 3/8ths drill. apply the Flitz polish to the diamond plate, then use the ":ball to polish it and bring up the luster. Be aware, though, it will splatter like crazy if you use too much.

You can try non acid based wheel cleaner and a scrub brush to clean the diamond plate, then polish it with the Flitz.

Be careful around the paintwork, as some cleaners can permanently stain the paint.

This is a long term project... you have to do a section at a time and compare results with the previously polished areas.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I wrote the question while taking a break from the flitz ball and the drill. I was hoping there was something easier. Thanks for the tip though, the flitz ball is not bad. I have been thinking about unbolting the smaller sections and just doing them on a real buffing wheel with some light rouge.

Its a never ending task...our engine gets the Flitz every 3-4 days. Its a real pain to get the shine back after a long time.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

We usually try and polish the diamond plate at least twice a year on our truck once around september august & once in May...we use speedy its great I'm not sure if they sell it on the internet but it works wonders especially on ladders and crome
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

What is Speedy and who is the manufacturer? I have also been trying to find something that works good to clean the diamond plate.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Speedy Metal Polish Ok so I was wrong they do have a website, this stuff works awesome
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Question

an oldie but a goodie ........also check a search .......I know it has been discussed before, and I dont think anyone has found anything in the end that works any better, but who knows E-58 may have something ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Good ole Elbow Grease.......... Preferably that of community service workers!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that is the best suggestion I have heard yet. We got all three of our stations painted by guys in orange pj's.

Originally posted by leylandauto
    Now that is the best suggestion I have heard yet. We got all three of our stations painted by guys in orange pj's.
    We use them quite a bit. Damn near all of our apparatus have been waxed and hydrants are currently being painted by community service people just since probably May........ Hopefully we'll get more in........

"Mothers" works for us. To apply, use carpet. Cut-up carpet samples work well.

Wax it after to protect the metal.
    God Bless America! ē Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friendô ē Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

We had something like this at a place I used to work at. What we did was take some natural pride degreaser in a spray paint gun...it took care of 90% of the work, then came the soft tooth brush (guess who got that job .) The degreaser will get you almost home...after that your on your own.

We have always used Mothers and Never Dull. Works great. Our ladder which is a 91 looks brand new(well close to it.)

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Another Vote For Mom........

We use Mother's too. Works good for us. AND, someone mentioned Carpet. We use carpet too, and it seems to be better than rags and sponges.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Sounds odd, but try instant Iced Tea mix and a scrub brush. Takes off more stuff than you want too know. Hey we drink this stuff

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

After seeing some before and afters, I just ordered a 2 lb. tub of Flitz and the polishing ball.

Yesterday I got out the Wenol and polished about five square feet of 25 year old diamond plate Engine 4. What a difference about 20 minutes makes, I cannot wait to do the whole thing!
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

To get any grease or grime off, try some simple green or something similar like tempest cleaner. Let it sit for a while. It pulls the crud off pretty good.

We use CLR or Lime-Away and a medium coarse brush to clean all diamond plate first and dry it as quickly as possible to prevent new water spots.

Followed by Mothers or Never Dull whichever we have 'in-stock' in the supply closet... that and alot of elbow grease
    Last edited by FFTrainer; 09-26-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Forum Member

In the Navy,we'd use orange bug juice powder(aka Kool-Aid-tm),and the flavor doesn't matter-the higher the acid,the better,though-to polish the deckplates in the firerooms.
    Sprinkle the powder,drop a little water on it and start scrubbing with a "Mean Greenie"pad and lots of elbow grease.Then rinse.Repeat where needed.

Thread Information