Default So, there you are, blocking the road with your BRT...

Big Red Truck that is...

and:

Just a photo I found interesting I'm sure the locals must be familiar with this...must throw the out-of-towners for a loop!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

nothing about that looks safe at all..............YIKES ! Dal do you know where this is ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

thats messed up !!!!!!!!! FLAT OUT !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

That's the biggest trolley I've ever seen.

dazed and confused

Commercial Street in Portland, Maine used to look like this. The tracks laid unused for many years before they were finally torn up. But this pic reminded me of it.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Early Adopter

There used to be a section of track that ran right down the middle of Gabbert Street in my hometown of Monticello, Ark. We moved there when I was 9 years old and until that time, I knew that fire trucks, police cars & ambulances ruled the road. I remember asking my dad, who was a police officer at the time, who had the right away -- his police car or the train. Duh. Heh, heh. I guess I wasn't always the sharpest axe on the truck.

nothing about that looks safe at all..............YIKES ! Dal do you know where this is ?
    Before we start with about how "unsafe" this may appear, lets see what our other railroaders like HWoods and STM have to offer.

For many years we had a local that ran through our town. It never hit a car/truck/anything while going through the street. It actually had 2 instances where people ran the crossing, and got hit.

I don't see what's so dangerous about that photo? Am I missing something? There's extra room on each side of the track to allow for clearances, the train isn't going to hit any parked cars, and there are no other cars in the street. They can't highball through the down town street, so they would have ample reaction time to stop if your BRT is in the way. Oh wait, that shouldn't be a problem, you should have called the railroad and notified them that you were going to be needing that street, and rail traffic has to cease...

**EDIT, sorry for the delay posting. ISP went down and lost connection. This was going to be reply #2 originally.

Forum Member

I'm guessing that this is probably a "NO PASSING" zone.........

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking OK, Relax Everyone...................

I'm here in response to a Nationwide search for an opinion on the Safety of this operation. As my esteemed colleague from Vermont surmised, Been There, Done That. I've been on board Locomotives of 2 Short Lines in Maryland that do Street Running, the term used by railroaders to describe operating on tracks in public roadways. This is not an unsafe act in itself, but someone not familiar with Trains and Automobiles sharing a common area, could, and have, gotten in a bit of trouble. First, speeds are slow in such an enviornment. The Maryland Midland Railway switches cars for the Lehigh Portland Cement Company by using several blocks of Farquhar Street in Downtown Union Bridge, Maryland. Trains are operated at 5 MPH while on the street. Everyone in the area is familiar with the Trains, (Including the UBVFD and it's members). And, Railroads work with municipal government to maintain a accident free record. Police, both town and railroad, patrol such areas when trains are working, and write tickets as necessary. Accidents due to this mix of uses on public right-of-ways are few, as far as I can determine from trade publications.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: OK, Relax Everyone...................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Accidents due to this mix of uses on public right-of-ways are few, as far as I can determine from trade publications.
    And most likely caused by the idiot in the car doing something EXTREMELY stupid around the big huge train. And I'm sorry but if you are walking and get hit by that, you deserved it. Ray Charles could figure out there was something there you shouldn't be in front of. It isn't like a diesel locamotive hauling freight cars is silet and stealth.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

There's a similar stretch of tracks along the riverfront in Savannah, GA (thought that might actually be where the pic was from). Also, there used to be these type of tracks in the warehouse district just to the east of downtown LA back when I worked down there.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

IACOJ BOD

Dal

A crew got reamed out recently for racing the BDT (BIG Damn Train) to the crossing in their BRT recently, just to get to an MVA on the other side of the tracks.

One wonders for a moment... "Where the victims going anywhere" Answer is "NO".

Gee... then why try and kill FOUR FireFighters.

Fink a bout it.

And in answer to the unasked question "Run Jimmy, Run like the wind, anywhere there are NOT railway tracks."
    Last edited by FlyingKiwi; 08-31-2004 at 12:48 AM.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Question...what do these trains normally carry. If you answer anything to do with hazmat I would be scared. Derailment, accident, propane car...the math is deadly simple here. Is it safe...no, at least in my opinion.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Cool Most Anything............

The Train in the photo is a Coal Drag heading for some Electric Generating Plant somewhere. (Or, empty cars being returned to the mines). The one I mentioned earlier hauled powdered cement out, Empties in. There are places where anything might go down the street though. My thought would be for anyone who has street running in your district, find out what's carried on your trains. Stay ahead of the curve.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

What would a rail car full of powdered cement do if it tipped over in traffic...

IACOJ BOD

Stay ahead of the curve.
    Especially the one the train is on.

What would a rail car full of powdered cement do if it tipped over in traffic...
    Make a LOUD noise.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Could make a big mess. I'd assume that powdered cement was being carried in a covered hopper, which would most likely take care of that problem quite well.

[URL=http://mo-pac.com/mp_fre/mp706787_weepingwatr_032501.jpg]Photo[/URL

Generally you won't see a train "tip over" . The chances of a train tipping over from derailment, getting hit, etc are very slim. If the car is unloaded, maybe. But we're talking quite a few tons of product, you'd need a pretty biiiiiiiiig impactor some other force to come into play. Also, most railcars are double walled incase of accidents, etc. You can rip the outside shell, but the product is safely held in the inside area.

On the topic of what's hauled, we are quite aware of what goes through our city. Mainly it's only MOW, or final stock coming down from Bombardier for shipment and then service. Not too much left at the shut down facilty, only a 2 or so mile stretch of cars. . Very very seldom do we see granite shipped out. I think the last granite that was actually shipped was for one of the memorials down in DC.

Forum Member

Although this looks a little unusual at first glance, its not really.

Many European cities have tram car systems running through busy areas, Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin and Manchester to name but a few.

They seem to have run, in many cases, for over 50 years without any great problem and I can't recall hearing of many instances where pedestrians or drivers have come to grief with one of them.

Just remember if you are on the tracks, the train is very unlikely to swerve out of your way .
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ElChup175
    Question...what do these trains normally carry. If you answer anything to do with hazmat I would be scared. Derailment, accident, propane car...the math is deadly simple here. Is it safe...no, at least in my opinion.
    So your saying we should apparently not allow tanker trucks carrying anything hazzardous to drive down the road either?? The chance of a tanker truck getting in a horrific explosive movie-type accident with another car is mare more likely than anything happening to train moving at 5mph. You could probably plow a pickup truck into rail tank car and it would just sit there. Try that with a tank trailer? No.

Originally posted by ElChup175
    What the hell is going to "tip over" a rail car full of powered cement. You would have to hit it with a commercial airliner to get that to "tip over". You could again probably T-Bone it with an 18-Wheeler and it will just look at you like "Did you feel something?"
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

It was a cold & foggy morning. I came around the corner and there it was... a BRT blocking the road... the railroad, porta tank and all.

Not the greatest photo, but if you look carefully the tanker was parked directly on the tracks with the porta tank set up beside it.

Forum Member

Oops, I think I've attached it now...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It was a cold & foggy morning. I came around the corner and there it was... a BRT blocking the road... the railroad, porta tank and all.
    Question is, was the railroad notified? Were the proper precautions taken? IE: Sending 1 person down each side of the track with lights to alert the crews / alert the train?

55 Years & Still Rolling

Cool DooDoo Happens...............

[i]Originally posted by nmfire [/B]
    What the hell is going to "tip over" a rail car full of powered cement. You would have to hit it with a commercial airliner to get that to "tip over". You could again probably T-Bone it with an 18-Wheeler and it will just look at you like "Did you feel something?" [/B]
    Actually, Trains can be knocked over, it just takes a bit of effort. I was on a call some years back where a Train was toppled by a Dump Truck full of broken concrete slabs. The train was headed South on a Single Track Branch line. It was struck at a Highway Crossing by a Tandem Axle Autocar Dump. The truck was estimated to be going 40 MPH when it struck the rear wheels of the Lead Locomotive, which was also doing about 40. 3 Locomotives and 20some loaded Coal cars were derailed, some, including all 3 Locomotives, were overturned. We were able to extracate the Truck Driver, who was flown to a Trauma Center where he later died. Train crew had assorted minor injuries. Took 2 days to reopen the Highway and the Railroad.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

It's nothing like a freight train, but Calgary runs its light rail transit system right down 7th Avenue for about 14 blocks downtown. The only traffic allowed on it are transit vehicles and emergency services. Then again, those trains have to follow all traffic control devices i.e. stop lights..
    --jay.

Thread Information