Post 4 guys fire trucks/Good or Bad

We started the process of specing out a new engine about 6 months ago and have narrowed it down to 2 manufactures. Can anyone help with good or bad comments about 4Guys?
    Last edited by dkfire12; 08-31-2004 at 01:06 PM.

We are getting a pumper 1500gmp 750gal tank, on a sparten extrem duty cab, the truck will be in service in the southern part of new jersey and used as a first out attack truck, we average about 300 runs a year. The other manufacture that we arelooking at is Seagrave. Any help that you could provide me would be appricated. Alos the truck will neeeded to be in service for 20+ years

MembersZone Subscriber

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up with Seagrave and 4Guys? They seem to be extremely different companies. I'd take the Seagrave any day, they make a superior product. We've been running a quint for almost 15 years with no major problems. Which Seagrave chasis are you looking at?

Forum Member

Thumbs up I'm a jean that!

I'd have to echo Fish's comments particularly on Joe's ability at Spartan.We recently purchased a Spartan and Joe spent quite a lot of time with us working thru the infinite possibilities.As a truck mechanic/driver by trade,I still needed assistance on "engineering"a firetruck.I knew where I wanted to start on engine,trans,axles and brakes.Joe fine tuned the basic needs,suggested reasonable upgrades,and applied the committees requirements into a really nice unit that was at the New England Chief's show this year and currently working out of our Central station.The whole process was both educational and pleasant from the start.Now the next two individuals in the process Frank Johns and Neal Bagdis of Rosenbauer didn't have it so easy.But they both worked VERY HARD to give us a finished project that has exceeded our expectations.And we learned a lot about the speccing process.Spartan has made some VERY nice cab changes in the Gladiator line which makes the vehicle a lot more user friendly.Good luck in your quest,it will take time and study,but you should do well with either manufacturer.T.C.

Forum Member

4-Guys and Seagrave! Me thinks you win either way. Definetly 2 of the top 3 that I would have chosen. 4-Guys builds a fine truck and their service is fantastic as is their managment and reps. Not many better people out their. Can't Miss 2 thumbs up! Seagrave, as fish stated it is coming back to where it needs to be today. Very nice apparatus and service and record or dependability. Again, good people and fantastic product. Again can't miss on this either and a definite 2 thumbs up.

You would be well off on either truck, and they will last the lenght of time you need them to without a doubt.

Now I am sure someone has a horrific stoty to tell you about how bad both are and that their department had this happen or that happen. But then again as people have said, trucks do break down, but it is the amount of times that that happens that makes the comapny and these people will be there for you no matter what.

Good choices! Be happy you are getting a top line product either way you go.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

you know .........I am not even on this department , or buyin apparatus soon ..........but when it comes time ..............Man Fish that as a great post.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thumbs up 4 Guys fire trucks

dkfire12:

What department are you with in South Jersey? I am familiar with the area, and maybe I could provide some insight if I know the department you are speaking of.

If you like, you can e-mail me direct at Ehrman9126@comcast.net

Best of luck in your search for the proper apparatus. It is of utmost importance to spec the right one.

Thread Information