Default Entrance Questions for Volly Dept's

Ok Guys. Me and four other EMT/FF's and the Chief were tasked with creating a bunch of questions/survey to weed out the bad people that would like to volunteer. Long story short, we never had a "interview or such" before. But we just found out that one of our fire fighters was a rapeist. So as of now, we are tasked at coming up with the application process. What are some questions that you ask during a interview? What are you looking for? We already have the background check forms and all that. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Charles
    FDMT
    Last edited by CBlasek; 09-01-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Forum Member

Default I got one.............

1) What would they wear to a non-departmental formal function if appointed to this department ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Smile

Charles,

When I joined the fire service you had to have firefighter put your name up for membership, then over the course of the next month you were required to attend all the scheduled drills. You could not take part in any kind of work or activities. You were there so the other firefighters could meet and interact with you in order to get some kind of feeling as to what you were like and what your motives were for joining the department. Then at the next meeting you were either voted into the company or you were rejected by the whole membership.

This may sound like the "good 'ole boy's club",and it was 35 years ago but, believe me, it worked for that department. We had a strong, well trained group of guys who, despite their differences, who were bound together through trust in one another and a common purpose.

I realize that times and attitudes have changed over the years, and what worked back then may be difficult to achive today. I guess what I am trying to say is that an applicant can put whatever he or she thinks you want to see on and application of in an interview, but when they interact with your firefighters, you can usually get a truer picture of the person and their motives.

-bob-

Forum Member

I really wish we were in the position to vet any prospective members..... but what it comes down to here is, pass the police check, no medical issues.... only question to ask is, "When can you start?"

1) What would they wear to a non-departmental formal function if appointed to this department ?
    I knew I was going to get that.

We were the same way, up until today. Guy was running with us for the past 4 months. Come today and find out he was arrested last night. We were just looking for a few questions to see where their head is. Im going to go around to a few dif departments tommorow
    Last edited by CBlasek; 09-01-2004 at 10:15 PM.

Forum Member

I was never interviewed, per se, by the department when I joined, however, we have a fairly extensive background check/evaluation process, as follows:

1) Guest period - Before you even join, you have to show up to drills (and station maintenance on Saturday if you can) as a guest. During this time, you don't do anything other than observe, but you are informally evaluated as well by department members as they get to know you. We had one guy who was coming around about the same time I did, and after about a month or so, he was politely and firmly told not to come back because frankly, he scared everyone (very erratic behavior that we all thought was due to drug use, troublesome comments about how to "beat" a background check, etc.). Assuming you pass muster, so to speak, an officer gives you an application.

2) Application - The application is just like most job apps in that it asks, in addition to background and training, about any convictions, court actions, military discharges, etc. It also has a place where you consent to a formal background check.

3) Background check - After you submit your app, you have to have a LiveScan fingerprinting done and submitted for a Dept. of Justice background check. The department also performs a check, most likely through the PD. The details of that I don't specifically know, though I'd assume it includes a conviction/warrant search.

5) Physical - The department physical is done prior to coming on as a Trainee and is fairly extensive. Besides the normal "turn-your-head-and-cough" exam, it also includes a treadmill stress test with a 12-lead, a chest X-ray, an isometric lifting test, full audiometric and vision tests, lung function test and a few other items. Mine took about 6 hours.

6) Psych evaluation - Either prior to or during the Trainee period, a psych eval is done at a local mental health clinic. It includes both the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory and the California Personality Inventory (both about 400-500 multiple choice questions) and several other questionnaires, followed by a visit with a shrink. Again, took about 4-6 hours.

7) Trainee period - Assuming you pass everything, you're made a Trainee, which still means you're allowed to train, but not respond to calls. This is 3 months minimum (usually closer to 6 months), during which you're still evaluated by the members and your Captain. You don't move up to Probie unless your Captain recommends you and the voting (non-probationary) members vote you on.

8) Probationary period - Lastly, during your Probie year, you can be "fired" for any reason. After you become a full member, it takes the disciplinary process to remove a member, but not for Probies.

And yes, this is a volunteer department.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

this isnt really a question, but its something that one of the guys do when he interviews a person.

he calls him up and asks when would be a good time to set up an interview with that person. after a little bit of chat with that person they decide on a time. well instead of using that date, he calls the applicant at 10:30 or 11 telling them that they have 5 or 10 min to be at the station for their interview.

i like this little test that he does cause if you cant get out for a interview at that hour, how will that person respond to a call at that hour.

thats only the real "off the wall" thing that we do. everything else is stuff that everyone else does.

Forum Member

I WILL post some real interview questions here soon that we use...........please stand by
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Re: Entrance Questions for Volly Dept's

Originally posted by CBlasek
    But we just found out that one of our fire fighters was a rapeist.
    and how come the background check that you ran on this guy didn't show this???
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well............

Coupla things. First, Dan, If he hadn't been charged yet, there was nothing to trip up the background check. Our procedure differs from what I've seen here (so far). When someone expresses an interest in volunteering, they are asked to fill out a very simple, 1/2 page form with basic information. The membership committee reviews this, and schedules an interview with the prospective volunteer. Our interview is two sided, in that we structure it to generate questions back at us, as well as questions that we ask of the applicant. Our interview is heavy on understanding our requirements and explaining why we operate in the way that we do. For some reason, about 3 or 4 times a year, someone will come along who thinks that they can join and drive the apparatus immediately, and do nothing but drive. An explanation of our training program is enough to send them on their way, looking for something else to drive. Because of our location on a very busy main highway, and our recruitment efforts, we get people from some distance away, as well as local residents. At times we have to gently suggest that they might want to look at volunteering at a station nearer to their home. Once past the interview, a prospective volunteer gets an application package, all 11 pages of it. The completed package is returned to the membership chair, and he brings it to the floor at the next company meeting. From there, the paperwork goes to investigations for a background check. Upon notification of a good background check, the applicant is advised to schedule a physical at our medical facility. When notified that the physical results are satisfactory, the applicant may start training. From the initial interview to getting on a vehicle usually takes 3 months. Some may do it quicker, others take longer. The first training is a 36 hour course with very basic information. This course allows you to get turnout gear, and, after satisfying the local station requirements, ride on calls as an extra person who assists the driver. Probationary members have a Red helment, and are not permitted in an IDLH area. Training continues on, with EMT-B and FF1 next on the list.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Boy, you guys are tough. I would not have made it with these requirements.

he calls him up and asks when would be a good time to set up an interview with that person. after a little bit of chat with that person they decide on a time. well instead of using that date, he calls the applicant at 10:30 or 11 telling them that they have 5 or 10 min to be at the station for their interview.
    There are some nights that I just cannot make it. I have family commitments and cannot possibly make it some nights. My department knows this and respects this.

When I joined the fire service you had to have firefighter put your name up for membership
    Again, when I joined, I didn't know anybody in the department. I showed up cold to a meeting and got the application. These types of requirements would scare off somebody who does not know people in the department.

Our procedure is similar to hwoods, but not as rigorous. We fill out a two page application and permission to conduct a background investigation. We then have an interview with the Board of Directors. After that, we are presented to the general membership at the monthly business meeting.

That starts our 6 month probationary period. We are expected to start either FFI or EMTB classes during that time. At the end of 6 months, we are presented to the general membership to be voted in as a full member.

Forum Member

1st question: Who's job is it to keep the station refrigerator stocked full of beer?
    2nd question: Which store has the coldest beer?
    3rd question: If the store with the coldest beer is out, how far is it to the store with the next coldest beer?
    4th question: (optional) Do you prefer canned or bottled beer?
    IAFF

and how come the background check that you ran on this guy didn't show this???
    We never ran background checks on guys before. We are a new department just formed in 2002. I just joined, but I know the chief and many other officers/fire fighters thats why I got on the committee, plus with being in college, pre-law, helps out alot on the paperwork/questions you can ask and can not ask as far as dscrimination.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Good Point................

Originally posted by CBlasek
    questions you can ask and can not ask as far as dscrimination.
    And that speaks volumes........................
    If you are careful with that part, then you're going in the right direction.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if charges were filed, but no conviction was made, I don't think it will show up on a background check.......

George, can you help out here?

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless the person comes from a family of firefighters, I like these questions.

Why do you want to be a volunteer firefighter and risk your life to go into a burning building for no money?

Why do you want to join this department?

Whats your thoughts on the fire service?

Forum Member

Can't say we ask any specific questions, we basically sit and talk with the person for about 1/2 hour to get a "feeling" about them. We do background checks, we check references, if they are young we talk with their parents.

ftfdverbenec770, that may work fine for you, but that would pretty much make we wonder what type of group I'm looking to get involved with and probably change my mind. My pager going off for an emergency is in no way a comparison to calling me at home at 10:30 for a meeting.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information