MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Coversion To SCUBA

I know, dont try this at home, you nuts, death wish, etc...

But, does anybody have any info/experience with this???

I know Biopak rebreather SCBAs are prety popular to convert to SCUBA use, but I dont want to go that route, I want to keep open circut.

I was thinking along the lines of using a 4500 PSI SCBA and its first stage regulator, and then ataching a SCUBA second stage system.

I like the idea of the lighter weight carbon wrap bottles. I was thinking of trying to rig up 2 60 minute cylinders.

I would have to integrate it into a BC of some sort.

No, I dont have to much time on my hands, nor am I a true SCUBA freak, but I like the idea of a 4500 PSI system.

Thanks.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Although I have never tried this at home, or anywhere for that matter, I think one word would sum it up. DON'T. Unless of course you want to kill yourself and maybe someone else, seeing as divers are supposed to operate together.Also, are you proposing to have this as some part of a services equipment for dive rescue, or for personal use?

SCBA sets are not rated for underwater use. My service had an incident earlier this year where a car left the road and landed in a river. In order to get the driver out 2 crew donned BA sets and entered the water. What they quickly found was the masks, hoses and associated equipment, including the contents guage, were overcome by the water very quickly. Most BA face masks are only rated to one meter immersion and not for very long. There is not the positive pressure in the system to overcome the forces of water. The resultant health and safety investigation, withdrawl of warranty by the manufacturers of the sets, and the cost of replacement make this a very, very dodgy thing to do. I would expect you life insurance carrier will balk at the idea of you making up you own set too.

Rebreather sets are an entirely different animal, but not many places/services utilise them and again, they are meant for dryland use.

I would simply purchase a genuine SCUBA set with equipment and keep yourself and others around you safe.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

dazed and confused

Why would you even want to do this?

Are you a diver?

I'm confused.

I understand higher pressure = smaller bottles... but... in public safety diving air isn't always the limiting factor in bottom time. It's nice to have the option of it for sure, I just can't fathom "hacking" a SCUBA setup from SCBA components to accomplish this. I realize you're not planning on using a SCBA face mask... you just want the SCBA air supply to connect to an octupus, etc. So it's not as though you're diving with an SCBA face mask and 2nd stage regulator.

I can't be sure without asking, but I'd pretty much guarantee that every SCBA manufacturer is going to tell you not to do it. It MIGHT work, but why risk it?

IMHO, there's already enough risk even when you have the best training, equipment, and conditions.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

FIGJAM

I'm with the others-why?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, that sucks. I had typed a long responce and it just disapeared!

I will recap.

I am a volunteer diver with the County Sherriffs office Search and Rescue. They are the ones who trained me and continue to train me and they DO supply me with tip top SCUBA gear for public safety work, we have an excellent dive team.

I also dive for fun.

This is NOT a public safety project, it is for personal entertainment.

Why???

For the Challenge!!!

This webiste captures the spirit well.

http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350052/english.htm

It is a test of your wits and trust in yourself to put together home made SCUBA gear.

Now, why SCBA conversion...

Well, I dont have enough wits and trust to do a reabreather at this time!!!

The Biopak 60 started out as a dryland rebreather, but it is often converted to dive.

http://www.neutronicsinc.com/biomarine/biopak60te.html

http://www.divenet.com/rebreather/bio60mods.htm

Converting a 4500 PSI SCBA set up should be much much easier and IMO safer.

Also, I hope to do it for <500$

You can pick up 4500psi SCBAs left and right now that FDs are changing over to the new airpaks with all of the bells and whistles.

You can also pick up carbon wrap cylinders for 5$ that are beyond their 15 year DOT lifespan for FD use. These bottles should be just fine for another 15 years ala Euro regs (correct me if I am wrong, PLEASE).

I want to take a BC that can acomodate 2 60min 4500psi bottles, get 2 matching SCBA first stage regulators, and then simply attach them to second stage SCUBA octopus.

I have not come across anything like that on the internet, but it should realy be straight forward and much much safer then coverting a Biopak to SCUBA. I nearly bought an unused Biopak for 50$ to convert, then thought better of it.

I am much more cofortable with open circute.

Thanks for the safety concerns.

It realy shouldnt be that outlandish of a coversion.

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a interesting bit on SCBA vs. SCUBA full face masks.

Interspiro Divator IIs...

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/courses/FullF...es/nealjd.html

Save basic facepiece as the interspiro SCBA facepiece only with some components traded out.

SCBA and SCUBA are closer then one thinks.
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 09-02-2004 at 11:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's like converting a down jacket into a turnout coat. Or mounting a tower ladder on a pickup truck. It's downright dangerous.

Can you imagine the NIOSH report on that one?

Thread Information