Thread: Rms

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rms

I am currently working on a large project to improve our current records management system (RMS). We are looking at 4 software programs. These are FireHouse Version 6.0, FDM, Fire Programs, and Spillman. I was wondering if there is anyone useing one of these progams in your department, and what your thoughts are on it? Do you absolutely hate it, or does it make the job easier? We are currently using an old version (5.0) of FireHouse Software and are having some serious issues with it.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

Forum Member

We are also using the Firehouse 5.0. I know the 6.0 is supposed to be coming out soon and that they have made quite a few changes to it, but I can't remember what exatly they were......

What kind of issues are you having with your current FHS 5.0?

MembersZone Subscriber

Multiple issues. Although I believe a great deal of it was that those who originally purchased it 6 years? ago didn't set it up right to begin with (look-up tables, queries, etc.) and that no-one ever received all the training on the software to completely understand what it can and can't do.

Some of my issues with it and the new version 6.0 (I have a demo copy) are:

It doesn't fully integrate the data - for example when the captain has placed crewmembers on a rig for the day, those should be placed on an incedent when you add the apparutus to the incident report. You have to go into the "Personel Tab" and put them in.

The queries are difficult to customize reports.

And we are unable to customize some of the EMS Look-Up tables with-out paying additional customization costs to Firehouse. So we are stuck with a lot of the NFIRS stuff in EMS. Since our state doesn't use NFIRS for EMS and there is no standard code set from Firehouse for our state we are stuck using the default information from Firehouse, which really doesn't apply or work for our needs.

All in all it is tedious. We spend almost twice as much time entering incident reports etc. than the call took in the first place.

I'm really impressed with FDM, but we are just in the beginning stages of research.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

MembersZone Subscriber

Post RMS

We are looking very hard at Red Alert by Alpine software. They are in the Rochester NY area and came in and did a demo for us last week. We were impressed with the product. All of our current records are on a home grown/ home made system done in FilePro (DOS based system) that is at least 17 years old. The person that designed and ran it is retiring in a few months and we are scrambling to come up with a workable solution. Alpine will come in and archive all your data and make it accessable from their program. They also have an interface to many CAD programs so that quite a few of your data fields auto-populate.
    Captain/EMT-P

Thread Information