Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Angry What the...?!?!?

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I went to get my car plates renewed, and they tell me that not only do I have to pay the "normal" fee of $78, but because my plates are personalized there is now a $7 fee to cover the cost of renewing my personalized plates. So, let me see if I'm correct...I now have to pay the State an extra $7 to cover a set of plates that I have had for four years, because Gov. Blago is still looking for "new" ways to make money for the state! What a load of crap!!!! I just wonder which road in Chicago my $7 dollars is helping rebuild.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Yep, Rod got us again. FF plates cost you even more, if I remember right, it's $10 or $12 extra tacked on this year. But they didn't raise taxes, did they?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Hey, Rainman:
    It's my understanding that even though you requested an arrangement on your license plate that includes a number, it might be personalized, but it is not a "vanity" plate. You paid for a vanity plate.
    Or did Blago change the rules along with the fees?
    Anyone?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

CR, if it's a vanity plate, like the FF plate is, it's something like $20 (or something like that) more than the $78 fee, plus if it's personalized, it's $7 extra on top of that. SO, if you get a FF plate personalized, it'd be somewhere in the $105/yr range. I could be wrong on the $20, might be less, but I just asked at the DuQuoin STATE Fair about the FF plate getting personalized and the $7/yr is because it's a personalized plate, not a vanity plate. They cost more yet.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default From the IL Sec. of State website

Firefighters Memorial

By purchasing the Firefighters Memorial License Plate, you can contribute to the Illinois Firefighters Memorial that is located on the grounds of the Illinois State Capitol Complex in Springfield.

The Firefighters Memorial License Plate has a $27 issuance fee, $12 which goes to the Illinois Firefighters Memorial Fund and $15 covers administrative costs of producing the plate. You also must pay the standard $78 registration fee. When renewing this plate, the fee is $17 in addition to the standard renewal fee of $78. The Firefighter's Memorial Fund receives $15 and $2 goes toward administrative costs.

They also raised te renewal fee for personalised plates. this is from the website.

Personalized license plate fees changed effective Jan 1, 2004.

SECRETARY OF STATE

Effective Jan 1, 2004 Public Act 93-0032 changed the definition of a Vanity and Personalized license plate. In addition, the law increased the renewal fee on Personalized plates by an amount of $7.00. A motorist wishing to exchange a Personalized license plate for a random number plate may do so by contacting the Special Plates Division at (217) 782Ė7758.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, Les, for getting the facts for us. That's why we have VEE-pees, to kep the pees in line.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information