Forum Member

Default CAFS Fast Attack

I am looking for help gathering info on a CAFS equipped Brush Truck/Quick Attack. The following would be the nuts and bolts:

F450/550 Crew cab 4x4
    utility flatbed
    rugged diamond plate storage boxes
    2 hannay reels(?)
    2 1 3/4" crosslays (not preconnect)
    remote bumper turret
    winch ( poss a second one off of the rear)
    250 gal water
    10 gal class A or so
    20-25 gal class B

I have looked around and havn't found much as far as discharges go for CAFS type brush units. Waterous makes class A/B capable and it looks like Odin/Darley does as well. Cost is of course an issue on these as well. Does anybody currently use a Waterous set up if so, how is it set up. Number of preconnects? Number of electric hose reels? Posistion of lines? Electric monitors? Any and all help will be appreciated. As far as questions about what it will be used for. We are a Urban interface department with both suburban residential as well as agricultural land. We also have several major fuel terminals as well as a power plant and numerous high volume pipelines weaving through the area. We also spend alot of time dealing with one of Iowas favorite past times, the mobile meth lab.

One other thing, as far as CAFS in the interface setting, what size hose line is being used? We currently use 1" forestry line with automatic nozzles. Would this still be the case, such as the 1" hose electric reels or do you have to bump up to 1 3/4" attack line for wildland ops?

Again looking for all the help I can get!!!!

dazed and confused

Default Re: CAFS Fast Attack

Originally posted by Tallyho74
    I am looking for help gathering info on a CAFS equipped Brush Truck/Quick Attack. The following would be the nuts and bolts:

F450/550 Crew cab 4x4
    utility flatbed
    rugged diamond plate storage boxes
    2 hannay reels(?)
    2 1 3/4" crosslays (not preconnect)
    remote bumper turret
    winch ( poss a second one off of the rear)
    250 gal water
    10 gal class A or so
    20-25 gal class B

I have looked around and havn't found much as far as discharges go for CAFS type brush units. Waterous makes class A/B capable and it looks like Odin/Darley does as well.

One other thing, as far as CAFS in the interface setting, what size hose line is being used? We currently use 1" forestry line with automatic nozzles. Would this still be the case, such as the 1" hose electric reels or do you have to bump up to 1 3/4" attack line for wildland ops?
    With the constant weight of the water, I say go for the 550.

I would've liked a remote control nozzle on our truck... was an option and would've been very handy. We also did not spring for a booster line, which would've eliminated the need for carrying garden hose.

As far as nozzles go, just stick with simple and cheap smoothbores. Stacked tips will allow you to have more control over the consistency of foam being produced... especially if you're protecting exposures. They also work great for structural work.

Hose size... you can use garden hose. Granted, your flow will be greatly reduced due to the small diameter of the line, but CAF will come out the end. One thing with the forestry line that I've wondered... some "weep" and I've noticed that air is also lost in weeping hose. I am curious how this effects long lays of CAF forestry line (by long I mean over a thousand feet... we've had no problems with a couple 300' bags deployed).

I'd go with more than 10gals of class A if this is for forestry work... I'd say 20 is minimum. We don't even carry class B foam in our foam systems any more... with the small tank size and application rates, there's only so much you can do with the typical class B system found on most engines. You can knock down a class B fire with class A. If it's a huge tank fire, no class A won't be the solution, but 25 gallons of class B probably isn't the solution either.

I don't know about the specifics of your area or department, so what I'm saying here might not be applicable. Just sharing what we did and why. Avoid having to carry extra buckets of foam... honestly, even if we spec'd 300 gallon foam tanks, we'd still have people insisting on carrying an extra bucket or so "just in case." Don't waste compartment space on the truck with plastic buckets of foam.

We took delivery of our F550 diesel 4x4 extended cab this spring. It has a Snuffer CAF system, 300 gallons of water in a poly tank (with 20gal Class A cell), 1 preconnect 1.75" x 200ish feet, 600 feet of forestry hose (in bags). The body is a custom aluminum and diamond plate body, with a lot of storage. We bought a demo body.

It has a receiver hitch 4-ton winch. Equipment includes 20 or so hand tools (pulaskis, mcleod tools, shovels, brooms, rakes), 6 "soft" backpack pumps, 2 SCBA, irons, pick head axe, 4' and 6' boston rakes, 24' of hard suction, 12' extension ladder, water can, bottled drinking water, chainsaw and accessories, portable water pump, adapters, nozzles, cones and traffic equipment, helicopter LZ equipment, etc.

It's not the BEST off road truck... it's heavy with the diesel, water and CAF system, has a longer wheelbase with the extended cab. It's not the BEST "mini-pumper"... only 1 preconnect, only 2 SCBA. BUT for us it packs a big punch on most calls where it will be used, and is the best truck for our response area.

"How much can you spend" is also very important, for if you have limited funds, CAFS will eat it up quickly.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Our first in on everything is an E-one 'Jackrabbit' CAFS on a Ford 550 extended cab, with a Foam Pro system, one trash line on a reel, and 2 1.75" preconnects (one adjustable, one piercing nozzle) We carry 8 SCBA, wildland tools, extrication gear, air bags, first responder med gear - it makes for a full load. 4wd and a winch. I got it stuck one time in mud & had to use the winch. We have the wrong tires on it, but, oh well.

We have lots of tree fires (lighting strikes)way off the road, some car accidents, few structual fires. We are urban interface, used this truck for days on the big forest fire in 02 (Rodeo-Chediski Complex), it worked great. Fast enough, makes 300 gallons of water act like 900 with the CAFS, our tender is our 2nd in, but we rarely need the extra water.

Check it out, the Jackrabbit works well for us.

Thread Information