Forum Member

Default You know you're from Massachusetts.............

I just needed to give all of you folks a little joke to lighten the politics mood around here. Everyone is so SERIOUS. I could't find the Red Sox / Yankees post to throw this in so I had to do this. Feel free to bash all of the "M*******s" - since I am no longer one it doesn't affect me

You Know You're From Massachusetts When...

The person driving in front of you is going 70 mph and you are cursing him for going too slow.

When ordering a tonic, you mean a Coke...not quinine water.

You actually enjoy driving around rotaries.

You almost feel disappointed when someone doesn't flip you the bird when you cut them off or steal their parking space.

You know how to pronounce the names of towns like Worcester, Billerica, Haverhill, Barre and Cotuit.

You have driven to New Hampshire on a Sunday in order to get beer.

You know that there are two Bulger brothers, and that they're both crooks.

You know what they sell at a packie.

You know at least one bar where you can get something to drink after last call.

You can actually find your way around Boston.

Evacuation Day is a recognized holiday.

You know what First Night is.

You know at least one guy named Sean, Pat, Whitey, Red, Bud or Seamus.

You think the rest of the country owes you for Thanksgiving and Independence Day.

You have never been to Cheers.

When the words 'WICKED' and 'GOOD' go together.

You knew that there was no chance in hell that the Pats would move to
    Hartford.

You have gone to at least one party at UMass.

The curse of the Bambino is taught in public schools.

You own a "Yankees Suck" shirt or hat.

You think Doug Flutie is the greatest athlete ever.

You remember exactly where you were when the ball rolled through Buckner's legs.

You pray for the Red Sox to win the World Series not this season, but in your lifetime.

You know how to make a frappe.

You know that "Big Dig" is also a kind of ice cream you can get at
    Brigham's.

You actually know how to merge from 6 lanes of traffic down to one.

You never go to "Cape Cod", you go "down the Cape".

You think that Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs and Derek Jeter are more evil than Whitey Bulger.

You went to Old Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation, or both, on field trip in grammar school.

You're aware that there is a town, somewhere in Massachusetts, named
    Brimfield where they have the biggest outdoor antique market in the world.

You can drive to the mountains and the ocean all in one day.

You know that the Mass Pike is some sort of strange weather dividing line.

You know that P-Town isn't the name of a new rap group.

You know that Ludlow is 90% Portuguese and that Fall River is 90% Lebanese.

You do not recognize the letter "R" as a part of the English language.

You've called something "wicked ****a"

You have driven to either Rhode Island, New Hampshire or Vermont for a tattoo.

You see people like Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), Dicky Barret (The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones), Tracy Bonham, Evan Dando (The Lemonheads) and Ric Ocasek (The Cars) in the local supermarket and it doesn't phase you.

You've slammed on your brakes to deter a tailgater

You know at least three Tony's, one Vinnie and a Frank(ie)

Paranoia sets in if you can't see a Dunkin Donuts, ATM or CVS within eyeshot at all times.

You keep an ice scraper and can of de-icer on the floor of your car...year round

You still try to order curly fries from Burger King

You order iced coffee in January

You know what candlepin bowling is

You drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to save $5 in sales tax

You've pulled out of a side street and used your car to block oncoming traffic so you can make a left.

You've bragged about the money you've saved at The Christmas Tree Shop

You know what a "regular" coffee is

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from
    Massachusetts.

The site that has this (and other states) is:
    http://www.blogthings.com/wherefrom.html
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Talking

Sharkie, ya know I shudder to think that half of these apply to me, and I'm in New Hampshire!! Suddenly I feel the need to shower & remove the feeling of our southern neighbor!

I had a collection of "drivers from MA" in an old email folder, but it seems to have gone where all the great emails go! Oh well. This thread could be good!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: You know you're from Massachusetts.............

Originally posted by DaSharkie

You Know You're From Massachusetts When...

You own a "Yankees Suck" shirt or hat.
    Massachusetts or anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon? Of course, down here they aren't referring to baseball . . .

The person driving in front of you is going 70 mph and you are cursing him for going too slow.
    I have to take exception here, too. If it's a cop doing the cursing because someone is poking along just doing 70, you are probably in Atlanta.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I know what you mean. I used to feel this tremendous weight (literally) lift off of me when I drove up 13, 101, 113, or whatever road I happened to be on to get to Nashua, Concord, or the elsewhere.

When I crossed the state line to go back I just got depressed, almost immediately.

Did you know that a few years ago people were buying so many big ticket items in NH that Mass. passed a tax law "requiring" you to pay sales tax on those items when you paid income taxes at the end of the year. I don't think they have collected much yet.

P.S. click on the link at the end of the message and see the New Hampshire list. It's pretty good. The one from RI is hilarious (if you've ever been there.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

former FH.com member

Dammit Sharkie...you just made me homesick.

Forum Member

Default my turn.....,.

North Carolina

You've gotten used to the smell of cow manure on a car trip to Raleigh.

Saying "y'all" isn't just a cute expression; it actually means something.

There are big labrador retrievers in the back of every truck.

You give directions using KFC and Waffle House as landmarks.

You still see Dale Earndheart tributes on cars.

You can't imagine life without Bojangles' sweet tea

Your annual church fundraiser always deals with bbq and potato salad

You have a sunburn from May to October

Your 'heavy winter clothing' consists of some turtleneck sweaters, a fuzzy jacket, and your daddy's boots

Your family has fried chicken once a week

You can tell the difference between cotton fields and tobacco fields while driving

One of your neighbors has a confederate flag hanging on their front porch

Those "damn yankees" are taking over your school/church/workplace/neighborhood...

You've been "properly raised", and yankees love it when they hear you say "ma'am" and "sir"

You get your carbs from biscuits, rolls, pancakes, and grits

You know the difference between a "redneck" and a "hick".

You own at least one surf shop or seafood restaurant shirts.

No matter what those people in ohio say, we are still "first in flight"

The Coca-Cola 600 is as big as the Super Bowl

You prefer Chick-fil-a to KFC

You know pastry is a chicken stew, not a dessert item.

Every time you visit someone you’re offered something to eat and a glass of tea.

Your granddaddy always wore overalls and your grandma always wore an apron.

In summer you have home-grown tomatoes with every meal.

When it rains and the creek rises, everyone gathers to see how high it rose.

You know that "chunk" the ball means to throw it.

You've had a burger "all the way" - chili and slaw on it.

You can recognize a copperhead and your heart drops when you see one.

You have at least one relative that raises collards.

Your folks have taken trips to the mountains to look at leaves.

Your school classes were cancelled because of a hurricane.

You know Krispy Kreme makes the best doughnut.

You have an opinion about UNC. You went there and loved it, or you hate everyone who did.

You know the best BBQ is found in Lexington

You would rather eat at Bojangles's than McDonald's

You have actually uttered the phrase "It's too hot to go to the pool"

You faithfully drink Pepsi or Mt. Dew everyday of your life.

You have your own secret bbq sauce.

You or your neighbors have more hunting dogs than you have family members.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from North Carolina.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Ya know, I have been here in NC for just over 4 months and so many of those are true it is not even funny.

I am waiting for the fun and games of the first snow storm. I hear it's a hoot to watch. The folks can't even drive when it rains so I can imagine what it is like when it snows.

SAFD46 -

Wish I could sympathize with you there to give you comfort, but I left Mass. and I don't want to go back. If I go back to New England after school it is going to be ONLY to NH. Even that is getting ruined by all of the M*******s moving in. Pretty soon they'll have sales tax, income tax, tax on tax, and any other kind of freaking tax and the great natural beauty of New Hampshire will be gone.

Barre
    You mean it's not bar ?

Forum Member

Default For the nostalgic former MA residents...

The Massachusetts Highway Commission has issued the following supplement, which contains statements of policy, clarification of law, and commonsense advice for drivers:
    ·Fire hydrants must always be visible to arriving firetrucks. So when parking next to a hydrant, park on the sidewalk side.
    ·Potholes will continue to be left unfilled because eventually the road will be entirely covered in potholes and thus perfectly flat.
    ·You are still allowed to drive in the breakdown lanes of highways during rush hour. During this time, it is illegal for your car to break down. You alone are responsible for notifying your car(s) of this law.
    ·You can go the wrong way on a one-way street if you do so in reverse gear. Also, the speed limit only applies in the direction indicated by the one-way signs.
    ·In order to insure the privacy of your personal information, do not tell strangers when or in which direction you are turning (via signalling lights, hand signals, etc). The only people who need know your turning intentions are your priest and doctor.
    ·To maintain harmony with the centuries-old aesthetics of Boston roads, new roads will be planned in the traditional way, by plotting the paths of meandering cows that have become drunk on fermented beets. Likewise, local features will continued to be referenced by their Gaelic names. So, "fens" (as in Fenway Park) shall denote a river bank; "kells" shall denote an inn; "yield sign" shall denote a stop sign.
    ·In 1981, all roads in the city of Boston were declared a botanical conservation area and were left to be reclaimed by nature. It is recommended that only off-road vehicles attempt to navigate these roads.
    ·You are reminded that the mass transit system is maintained only as a tourist attraction like the cable cars in Rice-a-Roni commercials and is not designed to move large numbers of people rapidly.
    ·It is safe for all Massachusetts drivers to always ignore a stop sign encountered at a four-way stop, since the other three drivers will have stopped.
    ·All vehicles shall pass automobiles on the left (except within the Boston city limits at rush hour, when wheelchairs are permitted to pass automobiles on the right).
    ·It was at Boston's own Fanueil Hall that Samuel Adams first proclaimed the inalienable rights of "life, liberty, and convenient parking". So, if a parking lot is full, just park anywhere. Likewise, if you're sentenced to a state prison but it's full, go home. Similarly, if a traffic light remains red for an inconvenient amount of time, it is broken, and you should act as you normally do when civilization collapses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're from Boston:

You'll know who the cahdnal is, how to take the T to JP and what the blinking red light atop the old Hancock Building means in the summer (in winter it means snow is due).

If you're smaht, you'll never get cahded at the packie (liquor,or packagestore).

You only eat italian sausage outside Fenway Pahk before a Sox game with mustid, peppahs-n-onions.

You might be from Boston if...
    You think of Philadelphia as the midwest.

You think it's your God-given right to cut someone off in traffic.

You think there are only 25 letters in the alphabet (no R's).

You think three straight days of 90+ temperatures is a heat wave.

All your pets are named after Celtics or Bruins.

You refer to 6 inches of snow as a "dusting."

Just hearing the words "New York" puts you in an angry mood.

You don't think you have an attitude.

You always 'bang a left' as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic always expects it.

Everything in town is "a five minute walk."

When out of town, you think the natives of the area are all whacked.

You still can't bear to watch highlights from game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

You have no idea what the word compromise means.

You believe using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.

You don't realize that you walk and talk twice as fast as everyone else.

You're anal, neurotic, pessimistic & stubborn.

You think if someone is nice to you, they must want something, or are from out of town.

Your favorite adjective is "wicked."

You think 63 degree ocean water is warm.

You think the Kennedy's are misunderstood.

Dumb Massachusetts Laws
    · At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.
    · Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
    · An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
    · Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.
    · All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday. (Repealed)
    · Hunting on Sundays is prohibited.
    · It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.
    · It is illegal to reproach Jesus Christ or the holy ghost. (MGL Chapter 272 section 36)
    · It's illegal to keep a mule on the second floor of a building not in a city unless there are 2 exits. (MGL Chapter 272 section 86)
    · It's illegal to sell fewer than 24 ducklings at a time before May 1, or to sell rabbits, chicks, or ducklings that have been painted a different color. (MGL Chapter 272 Section 80D)
    · It's illegal to allow someone to use stilts while working on the construction of a building. (MGL Chapter 149 Section 129B)
    · It's illegal to drive Texan, Mexican, Cherokee, or Indian cattle on a public road. (MGL Chapter 129 Section 35)
    · No gorilla is allowed in the back seat of any car.
    · Tattooing and body piercing is illegal. (Repealed October 2000)
    · Children may smoke, but they may not purchase cigarettes.
    · Tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder.
    · Quakers and witches are banned.
    · Bullets may not be used as currency.
    · Massachusetts liquor stores can only open on Sundays if they are in Berkshire, Essex, Franklin, Middlesex or Worcester counties and are within 10 miles of the Vermont or New Hampshire borders.
    · Alcoholic drink specials are illegal.
    · Affiliation with the Communist party is illegal.
    · Public boxing matches are outlawed.
    · It is unlawful to injure a football goal post, doing so is punishable by a $200 fine
    · Defacing a milk carton is punishable by a $10 fine.
    · It is illegal to frighten a pigeon.
    Boston
    · It is illegal to play the fiddle.
    · Two people may not kiss in front of a church.
    · No more than two baths may be taken within the confines of the city.
    · No one may cross the Boston Common without carrying a shotgun in case of bears.
    · Anyone may let their sheep and cows graze in the public gardens/commons at any time except Sundays.
    · It is illegal to eat peanuts in church.
    · An old law prohibits the taking of baths on Sunday.
    · Duels to the death permitted on the common on Sundays provided that the Governor is present.
    · Women may not wear heels over 3 inches in length while on the common.
    · No one may take a bath without a prescription.
    · It is illegal for any citizen to own more than three dogs.
    Burlington
    · You may not walk around with a "drink".
    Cambridge
    · It is illegal to shake carpets in the street, or to throw orange peels on the sidewalk (section 12.16.100).
    · It costs $50 extra for a permit for hurling, soccer or Gaelic football games in a public park on a Sunday. (section 12.20.030)
    Hingham
    · You may not have colored lights on your house if it can be seen from Main Street. Only white lights may be visible.
    · If you live on Main Street and want to paint your house, the colors must be approved by the historical society.
    Hopkinton
    · Though horses and cows are allowed on the common, dogs are prohibited.
    Longmeadow
    · It is illegal for two men to carry a bathtub across the town green.
    Marlboro
    · It is illegal to buy, sell or possess a squirt gun.
    · Silly string is illegal in the city limits.
    · One may not detonate a nuclear device in the city.
    · It is illegal for any citizen to own more than two dogs.
    Milford
    · Peeping in the windows of automobiles is forbidden.
    Newton
    · All families must be given a hog from the town's mayor.
    North Andover
    · An ordinance prohibits the use of space guns.
    Woburn
    · In bars, it is actually illegal to "walk around" with a beer in your hand. (Repealed)
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Default Some personal favorites!

MASSACHUSETTS DRIVING RULES

1. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same drivers to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.

2. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Massachusetts driver never uses them. Use of them in Boston may be illegal.

3. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

4. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered "going with the flow."

5. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

6. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork. Massachusetts is a no-fault insurance state and the other driver has nothing to lose.

7. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

8. Construction signs warn you about road closures immediately after you pass the last exit before the backup.

10. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right.

11. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable during rush hour.

12. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Mass driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

18. It is traditional in Massachusetts to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.

19. Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way, except in Boston where it acts as an invitation to duel or play chicken.

21. Remember that the goal of every Massachusetts driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

22. Real Massachusetts female drivers can put on pantyhose, apply eye makeup and balance the checkbook at seventy-five miles per hour during a snowstorm in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

23. Real Massachusetts male drivers can remove pantyhose and a bra at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic during daylight hours (who would want to at night?).

24. Heavy snow, ice, fog, and rain are no reasons to change any of the previously listed rules. These weather conditions are God's way of ensuring a natural selection process for body shops, junkyards, and new vehicle sales.

By the way: Don't ask what happened to numbers 9, 13-17, or 20 (they have been consumed by the Big Dig)...
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

kghemtp,

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Those are great, and I am going to have send them out to a few friends back in the Republik.

Forum Member

Been there? Try LIVING there!
    Nah. I almost married a girl from Portsmouth, RI though. Closest I came having a thought of living there was with her.

Although, I did ask my wife to marry me in Newport out on the jetty at a state park near the mansions. Nice place, just too freaking expensive.

Forum Member

You remember exactly where you were when the ball rolled through Buckner's legs.
    or it could mean your a Mets fan
    I'm the Midnight Skulker, HAHAHAHAHA

Forum Member

I am waiting for the fun and games of the first snow storm. I hear it's a hoot to watch. The folks can't even drive when it rains so I can imagine what it is like when it snows.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE, if its gonna be like last year, it will suck.

**EDIT** Oh yeah, usually a copperhead meets lead from our 12ga shotgun.
    Last edited by explr985; 09-06-2004 at 10:44 PM.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Re: Some personal favorites!

Originally posted by kghemtp

23. Real Massachusetts male drivers can remove pantyhose and a bra at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic during daylight hours (who would want to at night?).

I had no idea that Male Drivers In Massachusetts wore pantyhose and bras. Isn't that normally a San Francisco thing?.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I had no idea that Male Drivers In Massachusetts wore pantyhose and bras.
    I know there is at least one thats a firefighter in Danvers.......
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

I had no idea that Male Drivers In Massachusetts wore pantyhose and bras.
    Never been to Provincetown, Northampton, or Harvard Square in Cambridge have you? You would be amazed. Simply amazed.

Forum Member

Haha Sharkie, I was just gonna ask that of our western brothers!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

See brother, great minds - or is it deviant minds? - think alike.

Can I still think about moving to NH after PA school? I think I'll fit in OK.

Forum Member

Hey, there's a cold beer in the fridge for ya whenever it's time to move!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Default "cow hampsha"

You Know You're From New Hampshire When...
    You say "wicked" instead of "really."

Your idea of a good meal is Katie's Country Kitchen

You drive a Suburu

Half of your clothes are from L.L. Bean

You rather vacation in New Zealand than Florida

Motorcycle Weekend is the highlight of your summer

When you take your yearly trip into Boston, you "pak ya cah in Havad Yad"

"Vacation" means going to Burlington for the weekend.

You go out of state and don't understand what "tax" means on your receipt

You think of the major food groups as venison, beer, fish, and berries.

You refer to the Patriots as "we".

You can identify a Massachusetts accent.

You can visit Berlin, New London, Bethlehem, Lisbon, Lebanon and Dublin all in one afternoon.

Down South to you means Boston.

You consider Manchester exotic.

You don't have a coughing fit from one sip of Ballantine Ale.

You can actually pronounce Kancamagus.

You know what a bubbler is.

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new machine shed.

You go out for fish fry every Friday.

You can recognize someone from Massachusetts from their driving.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from New Hampshire.

My sister lives in Westmoreland, and my Mom just moved to Keene, and yes they have been emailed this too!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Gonzo, is that green with envy?!?

Oh, and a bubbler is a water fountain, wise *****!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information