MembersZone Subscriber

Default tire selection wildland truck

Working on a truck project (fire dept constructed). Search for info on simliar trucks, 500-1000gal tank, indicates typical Forestry Type ___ engine has standard size 11R22.5 tire single from Dual rear.

Any insight why don't see "super single" size tires? Military has gone exclusively to such as have found less tire damage (inner sidewalls on duals). Tires are more expensive, and a bear to change. But have less ground pressure/better flotation.

We are thinking our "wildland"/brush truck has: less than 7 mile response, will be operating in a farm field (most often corn/beans, perhaps hay) which may be soft/tilled. So Super single might be a good choice. Also pick up some additional ground clearance with the tire we are thinking about (mil 14R20 as on 5T truck).

Any input?

Sr. Information Officer

I can't offer any personal observations, as I have no experience with them. However...there is this article for you:
    SuperSizeSingles
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

We are having the same discussion in out dept. The old guys want to stay with duals for the safety - extra tires on the ground just in case. The younger firefighters want super singles because they are better off road, especially in mud and snow. They feel safety is a maintenance issue.

We have been on fires with others that were using super single and they say they would not go back to duals. Personally I would like to try them. I may be wrong but I think they would be a big improvement in the terrain we fight fire in, if not they still look cool.

A side note: we had the opposite fight to get duals on our 1 ton type 6's, now we are fighting to get singles on our type 3 engines/tenders.

Brad

Forum Member

The super singles have their advantages as far as having a "lighter" footprint.

Mud and snow can create problems as the truck tends to slide easier because of the "lighter" footprint. Combine the super singles with a posi-trac rear axle and you have some driver training to do.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Thread Information