Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default New to the Firehouse

I'm new to the Firehouse and was wondering if any experienced firefighters can give me tips on suceeding in the application process for suburban departments. Right now I'm in the process of getting my EMT-B and hopefully my paramedic certificate after that, but I was wondering what else I can do to make myself more presentable to fire departments around the Chicagoland area. I'm also going to try to get onto a P.O.C. or rural department, but there aren't many around here. Any information would help and I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot, Tim.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Welcome aboard! I'm a volunteer myself, so I really can't offer any great advice on landing a position on a paid department. However, I think this website may be useful to you.....

http://www.eatstress.com/

Lots of good info....Captain Bob is a regular here.....Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

TMac,

how are you? I myself just got hired on as a PoC for a chicagoland fire department. The best thing that I can tell you is to test often and everywhere. The main thing that all other departments is going to look at is how much training THEY need to give you.. In short they dont want to spend all of the money so you need to invest some yourself. I just today got the results from my NREMT-B test and passed so after I finish my FF2 Academy I will be taking my Medic, if there is anything else that I can help you with just let me know and I will see what I can do
    Last edited by mojofarian; 09-08-2004 at 08:58 AM.

Forum Member

Hi, Glad to here from you, you have the same questions that I had some time ago. I got on not long ago, and until I was hired, I was always told to get as many certifications and as much training as I could. Much of getting a job is luck, but you can increase you chances by 1- applying everywhere you are qualified to apply, you need to test as often as you can, and 2- in my opinion, when you become an EMT, work for a private ambulance company to get much needed experiance. But definately apply everywhere, it's better to turn them down if you really don't want to work there, then to not have the chance and not gain the testing experiance. Also, you don't want to here this, but go to school and get another degree in another field. You may never get on, and you need to fall back on something. Education is never dumb to get.
    Good luck

Thread Information