Forum Member

Question PBI vs Advanced for outer shell of turnout gear

We are currently seeking bid for new turnout gear and like the question says what would you spec for the outer shell. I have read the different advantages of one over another (Ex: PBI 1300 degree vs 1050 degree of the advanced and some of the abrasion resistance of advanced over PBI), but with the proper configuration of the outer shell with the inner shell which would you choose. The cost per set is around 200 dollars more for the PBI and will be 50% of the factor of what we purchase. What are most of you currently using
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

lt.. in your research on specs do you have any info that supports colors other than black.. specifically the PBI tan color with regards to visibility in dark or low-light situations?

A few of my guys have asked if we can start to switch since we are a mainly highway response unit they feel they would be safer in a lighter color set of PPE

Forum Member

What I found is that there is no real differance in black vs tan, what will matter is the trim package. Project fires is a good starting point with a trim package, but you can modify if you meet the total number of sq inches which I think is 325sq inches. We are switching back to black because of the fact that it will bleach out when exposed to high heat...makes it easy to take heat damaged gear out of sevice.
    Last edited by Ltmdepas3280; 09-08-2004 at 01:33 PM.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

As a carreer firefighter with many years on the job, I have worn many different types/brands of turnout gear. We went to PBI about 3 years ago. In my opinion it is the best gear I have worn. There are many makers of gear out there I currently am wearing Morning Pride. I had a set of Globe before that and really, really liked the way the Globe fit me,(I really recomend you get your seller to custom measure each member for there set) I liked the larger cuffs with the thumb loop on my globe set vs. just a small strip I have on my current Morning Pride. When you spec out your gear dont forget the little things like radio pocket locations, clips to hang flashlight on etc.What ever you decide to go with don't let money be a major factor (I understand it has some factor) but if you spend a little bit more in the start you will save in the long run by having a set of gear that will give you longer service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to agree with Station2Capt, don't let money be the biggest issue, make sure you get good gear, with all the options you and your dept wants and needs. Having gear that fits good, and protects good come first, with that said I would go with PBI even though my Chief doesn't see eye to eye with me on that and got Advanced with our grant. I bought a set of my own so that I could do extra things like work at race tracks, and teach at other depts (dept doesn't allow anyone anymore to use gear for anything besides dept stuff) and I got Millenia outer shell only had it a couple weeks but seems to be good stuff. Globe and Morning Pride are good, also check out Quaker they custom measure also and seem to be a good brand.

Thread Information