Forum Member

Default Senator Kerry criticized the president:

News today.. september 8, 2004

Senator Kerry criticized the president:

"$200 billion for Iraq, but they tell us we can't afford health care for our veterans. $200 billion for Iraq, but they tell us we can't afford to keep the 100,000 new police we put on the streets during the 1990s. Well, we are here today to tell them, they are wrong and it is time to lead American in a new direction," he said.

“NBC NEWS’ MEET THE PRESS.” Sunday, August 31, 2003

MODERATOR/PANELIST: Tim Russert - NBC News

MR. RUSSERT: Do you believe that we should withdraw American troops from Iraq?

SEN. KERRY: No.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you believe we should put more American troops in Iraq?

SEN. KERRY: No.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you believe that we should reduce funding that we are now providing for the operation in Iraq?

SEN. KERRY: No. I think we should increase it.

MR. RUSSERT: Increase funding.

SEN. KERRY: Yes.

MR. RUSSERT: By how much?

SEN. KERRY: By whatever number of billions of dollars it takes to win. It is critical that the United States of America be successful in Iraq,

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3080246/
    SB (Local 1355 retired)

Forum Member

That sounds like Kerry all right. I think it's more important to take care of the security of this nation through the present efforts. Keep as many of these extremists as busy as possible in other areas outside our boarders. If we choose to just sit back and wait, we will surely be attacked on a large scale. If you want an economic disaster, it will come if we don't go after these extremists anywhere and everywhere we can. Why would anyone want to wait until they start coming here in far more prevalent numbers? You can bet the farm that if we're attacked in as large a way as 9-11 again. You'll see our economy take an even bigger nosedive than when 9-11 happened.

I watched Kerry the other day talking about upgrading our intelligence. This is coming from a man that has a history of wanting to cut our intelligence by billions before he decided he wanted to be President. He says he wants to keep our military strong, while having a history of wanting to cut military appropriations. He even stated today that he would begin nationalized medical coverage on his first day in office. I think he really shot over the moon on that one because there's no way that's going to happen.

A lot of people say unemployment at 5.4% is to high. Clinton sure didn't think it was in "96"(5.5%). Let us be honest and consider that 5.4%. I would say that at least 5.4% of our population is unemployable (I guess we still need ditch diggers and fast food people though) in a technological society because of an educational system with no responsibility to lead our children into the future. From what I see, we've become a society that blames everyone and everything for their problems and not themselves. A child's education will never succeed without parental involvement and there are a lot of parents that are either incapable (a few) or just don't give a damn or realize its importance (the majority). As an ex-teacher, tenure has become a demon so large that it is what controls the educational system. There is a problem with the discipline that has disappeared from the school system. Most teachers I worked with sent their children to private schools. Now there's a wake up call for sure. Money is not the answer and never has been. Holding students to higher standards is the answer. If you can't tell, I quit teaching; not only for some of the reasons stated but also for even more reasons that go deeper (especially violence in the system).

Our litigious society has become another one of those demons that seems to be hard to destroy. Trivial lawsuits have cost our businesses, physicians and others billions in extra costs, which is returned to the consumer. When it comes to medicine and physicians, we're heading in a direction where you can have all the universal health care in the world but you'd better worry about where you're going to find the physicians and nurses. More and more physicians and nurses are just leaving their professions because of all this litigation, which many times costs individuals not even responsible to have to pony up. People suing for spilling hot coffee in their lap (like it's suppose to be cold DOH). I can understand lawsuits for serious infractions but the number of trivial suits has been on a consistent rise and doesn't look to be waning.

I've listened to Kerry and I hear a lot of generalizations and absolutely no specifics. I'm having problems keeping up with all his changes from one day to the next.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 09-08-2004 at 06:46 PM.

Forum Member

Surprise!!!! Surprise!!!! another FLIP-FLOP. What is next?

Forum Member

Surprise!!!! Surprise!!!! another FLIP-FLOP. What is next?
    Um, shot in the dark here - but could it possibly be another flip-flop? Just a hunch though.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Default Health Care

Lt.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope I never have to worry about how I'm gonna pay for medicine or a doctors visit for me or the wife and kids. But I think that our whole health care insurance system needs a revamp.

Today when you go to the doctor for the sniffles or whatever, you expect to pay $5. What other service or product do you expect the same level of care with so little a price tag?

Do you buy a car and expect to pay only $5 to get a lube and oil change? I expect that if you bought a TV and it broke because you dropped it or spilled water on the thing with the power on, you wouldn't expect a replacement for $5 either?

Yes, I believe that the health care system, more importantly the health care insurance system needs to be overhauled. Our expectations of the abilities of physicians are overly grand and we need to keep in mind that they are humans not gods. Just as we will make parking lots of some building fires, some people will die despite the best efforts of the most skilled physicians.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I believe that the health care system, more importantly the health care insurance system needs to be overhauled. Our expectations of the abilities of physicians are overly grand and we need to keep in mind that they are humans not gods. Just as we will make parking lots of some building fires, some people will die despite the best efforts of the most skilled physicians.
    And this is an enormous part of the problem. Tort reform goes hand in hand with reducing medical costs. What do you expect to pay if a doc is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for malpractice insurance? That cost has to get passed on somewhere.

Forum Member

There is a direct connection between frivilous lawsuits and lawsuits in general and the cost of health care. The health care system could save billions with reform of the litigation laws. These lawyers are getting rich and the consumer is getting screwed. More and more doctors and nurses are leaving the medical field over this and that's not going to help either. Tort reform is a neccessity or the costs will continue to rise at even more rapid rates. Where do you think hospitals, doctors and insurance companies are going to get the funds to pay these frivilous suits. That's right, from the consumer through rises in health care costs. Most hospitals and insurance companies are publically held companies. If someone owns an annuity fund, defered compensation plan, IRA or pension plan, you can bet that you probably own a few of these stocks in your fund. As with most, I own them and I invest to make a reasonable profit within these funds. With lawsuits at the present level it is costing all these billions. National health care really doesn't work effectively, as has been shown when you look closely at Canada and the U.K. It did work effectively, I wouldn't see so many Canadians coming here for a lot of their health care. The federal government has and never will be efficient at running these large types of agencies. Matter of fact, I'll bet that the costs would not be contained by the feds taking it over. Tort reform is the answer.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 09-09-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Thread Information