Thread: Hiring Freeze

Forum Member

Question Hiring Freeze

I recently began applying for Fed Firefighter jobs. I applied for a Navy Fire Dept. position about 5 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything. I heard that the Navy was on a hiring freeze and that they stopped hiring FFs and that it might be a year or so before they hire again.
    Does anyone have any information on whether this is true or not? Will the Navy still post jobs even if they aren't (able=freeze) hiring for them?
    When they do freeze hiring do the people that applied go on a list until they resume hiring or do they just discard the apps?
    The position I applied for was only open for a week and 1/2 and stated 2 vacancies. Don't they have to fill those positions if they posted them?
    Thanks for the info

I'm with the Army, but i haven't heard anything solid about a freeze. I've heard about the DC area Navy departments hiring. Maybe it just the ones you've applied to. A Navy guy could probably answer your question better though.

Forum Member

Default Damoneng4:

I would be looking elsewhere myself. The Navy is in the process of closing stations and reducing firefighters. Not a good future in that one, maybe try another DoD component?

5 weeks is not unusual. You should have received a letter from the HRO/CPO office stating they got your app, and another in the future stating your score....maybe call the Chief and ask if he has seen your aoo, or the HRO/CPO and verify they got it?

Forum Member

Question Update

I contacted the CPO office of one of the places that I applied to. I told them that I had applied and hadn't heard anything. They informed me that they had processed the applications and they are not on a hiring freeze. However I was not notified of my rating because there were so many veterans that they formed a list of 10 vet's to send to the hiring agency and set all other applications aside. This is very frustrating to me. I have recieved a rating of 100 on several applications and have yet to get a job due to the veteran rule. Is it really possible for civilians to get a job as a federal firefighter if they don't have veteran status???????

I know what your going thru. I tried for many years to get in. Each time i made it to the election official, but then not hired. Your just have to stick it out. I know it can be frustrating. Let me ask some questions. Do you have to stay near your house, or do you want to move? Thats what I did, and luck would have it all worked out. But just keep on trying...especially cause from what I've seen, sometimes veterans don't stick around in the system too long. Most of my department dont have any military. But anyways, don't give up if you really want it. Good things will come. Just make sure you have that resume and KSA's filled out right and send them everywhere that is look. Good Luck

Forum Member

Question

damoneng4,
    Thank you for the encouragement. I have a feeling that there are quite a few people who have "suffered" due to the system. Since you asked, I am willing to move. I am interested in the Virginia area. Do you have any info on the FEMA FD in Round Hill, VA?
    Just wondering if you know anything about the dept. or if people try to get hired there.
    Seems like Virginia is one of the hardest areas to crack into.

Cool

I know that it's located at MT Weather which is right on the borders of Loudon & Lee Counties. Its about 2 hours from DC. I don't knw much about it other then that. I know you need to get a clearance to work there so alot of stuff is guarded about it. I applied there about 2 years ago and made it to the hiring official but didn't get picked. You do have to live within an hour of the base for recal. And i think they work a 12 hour schedule insted of the the 24's. I know the DC/Maryland/Virginia area has a lot of positions. There are also alot more fedeal jobs in general so alot of veterans don't want to be fireman and work a 24/24 schedule around here. escpecially because the cost of living down here is a little tighter. If your interested look for:

FT Meade
    Andrews AFB
    Bethesda Navy Medical Center
    Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    National Institutes of Health
    Carderrock
    Naval District Washington
    FT Myer
    FT Belvior
    Quantico (about 1 hour)
    FT AP Hill (about 2 hours)

and there are a few others that i just cant remeber right now (brain fried after being on for 72 hours). I know of some vacancies at WRAMC, but we'll just have to see if they post them or not. Hope I was of some help.

Forum Member

Question few more questions

damoneng4,
    Thanks. You have provided me with some valuable information. I will keep an eye out for postings in those areas. By any chance do you know of any openings that may be coming down the pike at Walter Reed or Fort Belvoir?
    They are two places I would be very interested in.
    Thanks again for all the info and let me know if you hear anything.

no problem. i'm just trying to give some help that i didn't have when i was trying to get in. i haven't heard anything about fT Belvior, but i do know that Walter Reed has two vacancies and they're just waiting for the annoucements to be posted (who knows how long that will be. probably after October 1st cause that is when the new fiscal year starts for the governement.) I just noticed today that Andrews has an open position too, but i didn't pay much attention to it so I maybe mistaken. Good luck. ANy other questions don't be afraid to ask. I'll help if i can.

Forum Member

Question Naval District Washington Question

damoneng4,
    Well you must have brought some good luck my way because I have now applied for Walter Reed and am reviewing the announcements for Naval District Washington.
    Question for you. Are all those departments considered one? There are vacancies at Indian Head, Bethesda, and DC but the announcement numbers are all the same.
    Do they all fall under Local F260?
    Do you work for one department or are they all separate?

It is my understanding that all the Navy departments all fall under Navy District Washington, but they all hire seperatly. I think they work as satalite stations. ou work for a specific one, but you can be detailed to another stations. As for the iaff, i thikn they are all seperate too. But don't quote me on it. I have heard rumors that its going to change, but I dont really know. All the Army departments are seperate from each other as well as the other federal like NIH. I think i answered all your questions, but I'm not sure. If i didn't ask it again. Stay Safe & Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question AFGE or IAFF??????

Can you tell me if Navy Bethesda,MD FD & Indian Head,MD FD have a AFGE Firefighters Local or if they are in the IAFF???

Bethesda is IAFF. Im not sure about Indian Head but probably IAFF.

Forum Member

Lightbulb IAFF Local F-121

Navy Indian Head IAFF Local F-121 !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question ???????

damoneng 4, Marine 12, Or Anyone

Can anyone tell me if the FEMA Mt. Weather,VA Fire Dept. is in the AFGE or the IAFF?????

Thank You !!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default I SEARCHED MY DATA BASE...

on the IAFF website and find nothing...are they contract? FEMA employess?

Forum Member

Thumbs up AFGE Firefighters Local 1754

FEMA Mt. Weather Firefighters AFGE Local 1754 . They are part of Dept. of Homeland Security

Forum Member

Default Thanks Marine 12...

Now I know where to look!

Here ya go baxter84:

Local 1754 Mt. Weather (FEMA)
    President Steven Hardman
    PO Box 2763
    Winchester, VA 22604
    (o) 540-3438/3041
    (h) 703-869-6571
    FF Coordinator

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks for the info Guys !!!!

Forum Member

post deleted
    Last edited by 53fireman; 08-27-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Thread Information