Default Help with an Interview

Hi, okay, so i'm not exactly a firefighter but i'm looking for someone that is. For a school project i need to interview one or more firefighter(s). The topic will be concerning 9/11 and there won't be many questions, just a few. I'd really appreciate it. The deadline for this project is tomorrow and i know i'm bad for waiting 'til the last minute. Is anyone interested???

~KS

p.s.~ Did i mention i'm desperate?
    Last edited by CIAgrl; 09-08-2004 at 08:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post your questions and we will reply.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Help with an Interview

Originally posted by CIAgrl
    Hi, okay, so i'm not exactly a firefighter but i'm looking for someone that is. For a school project i need to interview one or more firefighter(s). The topic will be concerning 9/11 and there won't be many questions, just a few. I'd really appreciate it. The deadline for this project is tomorrow and i know i'm bad for waiting 'til the last minute. Is anyone interested???

~KS

p.s.~ Did i mention i'm desperate?
    Post your questions

IAFF Local 3900

Hold on one sec, just getting them together. Sorry.

If these questions offend you in anyway you don't have to answer them, they're not meant to stir up feelings....and if you want your answers to be kept private you can just e-mail them to me, Or if you have any other things about this topic you'd like to share. If any question confusses you please ask...my brain is not working full speed today.

1. What made you want to be a firefighter? Did you just see it as an interesting job, or did you feel as though you wanted to make a difference?

2. What motivates you to get up every morning and do this job?

3. Do people ever stop you on the street and tell you 'thank you', just for the fact that you get up and risk your life everyday to save people you don't even know? If so, how has this changed since the terrorist attacks almost three years ago?

4. For the past two years, on the night of the anniversaries, there were many televised programs recapping the events of that day. Do you think that the media is overplaying the footage? Unburying uneasy feelings that some wish to forget, where it just hurts too much to watch it?

5. How were you feeling at the time when you heard about the attacks?

6. Has your life changed for the better or the worse as a firefighter since 9/11? Why or why not?

7. After 9/11 did you ever have thoughts of changing carrers? Why or why not?

8. If there was to be a perminent memorial for all the people that lost their lives on 9/11. (Citizens/firefighters/etc....) What should the memorial be like and where should it be located.

I think that's pretty much it..

Also, if you could please state a first name and possible a last initial. Unless you want to remain un-named, i guess that'll work too.
    Last edited by CIAgrl; 09-08-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Forum Member

Good questions! I'll be responding
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

hehe...sorry, i'm adding two more. You don't have to answer them all if you don't want.

9. How has 9/11 changed your life personally? It could be your views, opinions, anything...

10. What are you doing to remember those who parished in the attacks?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CIAgrl
    [B]If these questions offend you in anyway you don't have to answer them, they're not meant to stir up feelings....and if you want your answers to be kept private you can just e-mail them to me. If any question confusses you please ask...my brain is not working full speed today.

1. What made you want to be a firefighter? Did you just see it as an interesting job, or did you feel as though you wanted to make a difference?

3. Do people ever stop you on the street and tell you 'thank you', just for the fact that you get up and risk your life everyday to save people you don't even know? If so, how has this changed since the terrorist attacks almost three years ago?
    4. For the past two years, on the night of the anniversaries, there were many televised programs recapping the events of that day. Do you think that the media is overplaying the footage? Unburying uneasy feelings that some wish to forget, where it just hurts too much to watch it?

6. Has your life changed for the better or the worse as a firefighter since 9/11? Why or why not?

7. After 9/11 did you ever have thoughts of changing carriers? Why or why not?

8. If there was to be a permanent memorial for all the people that lost their lives on 9/11. (Citizens/firefighters/etc....) What should the memorial be like and where should it be locatedI think that's pretty much it..

Also, if you could please state a first name and possible a last initial. Unless you want to remain un-named, i guess that'll work too.
    1.I come from a family of firefighters, so you can say that my career choice was preordained. I started out as a police officer and found that it was not everything that I expected so I thought, what the heck go into the family business. I have never looked back since. Some days I do think that I make a little difference but those days are few.

2.The absolute love for my job!!! I love going to work and being with my "brothers" and doing my job well. I know that somewhere out their some person needs a little reassurance or a little kindness in a time of great need. This is the type of job that when I go to work I never know how my day will go...the unknown is a big allure for me.

3.That happens very rarely, most people look at it I believe that we are just doing our job. Every once in awhile we will get a thank you card from a family...but not often. The last one was from family of a 19yo who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. He almost lost his life, but that one of the many tragic occurrences that happens everyday. Right after Sept. 11 I was told thank you allot, but after a while people forget.

4.I think in a way it is good that they do show the footage....
    the public does need to be reminded of the lives lost that day. It is somewhat hard for me, and I am from Ohio. I can not really say how it is for the Brothers from the FDNY who were their and lost friends and family. I know it is hard anytime that I hear a firefighter died in the line of duty.

5.Total disbelief, shock, and anger.

6.My life really hasn't changed at home. At work it has become more complicated, because we have new responsibilities and equipment. Yet we have the same amount of people and budget. The politicians want us to be the front line yet they don't want to give us the resources that we need to do that job.

7.No, I am a firefighter in heart and soul. I believe that by leaving I would bring shame on myself and all my brothers who made the ultimate sacrifice. Being in the fire service is not a job...its a life, a calling.

8.It should be in NYC at Ground Zero.

Jeff V. Firefighter/Paramedic-Ohio
    Last edited by ff7134; 09-08-2004 at 09:07 PM.

IAFF Local 3900

I haven't written my article yet, but i have to say many of your answers were touching. Once i have the article finished, i will post it here for you to see. Of course i may not be able to use all of your answers but i will defiantly be using some. Thank you...and not just for answering my questions...

Forum Member

I have always wanted to be a firefighter, Its hard to explain, Its just something I have always wanted to be.
    ---

Knowing that today will be totally different from yesterday
    ---

Some people say thanks for your service, but theres still some who say oh well and go on. Some people look up to us.
    ---

Some people can say yes and also no, they want to remember 9-11 but dont want to remember what happened.
    ---
    Shocked, upsey, couldnt believe it was actually happening
    ---
    Well I wasent a firefighter before 9-11, but if I was it probably would have changed.
    ---
    7. After 9/11 did you ever have thoughts of changing carrers? Why or why not?

Cant answer, but If I was a firefighter pre 9-11 I still wouldnt give it up
    ----
    8. If there was to be a perminent memorial for all the people that lost their lives on 9/11. (Citizens/firefighters/etc....) What should the memorial be like and where should it be located.

I think the only appropiate place to have a memorial is the site of the place where the 343 firefighters lost their lives
    ---
    9. How has 9/11 changed your life personally? It could be your views, opinions, anything...

I have more respect for firefighting.
    ---
    10. What are you doing to remember those who parished in the attacks?

Were going to Loveland Symmes fire Department to have a memorial walk to there fire memorial where theres now a piece of the WTC donated by the FDNY to Loveland, LSFD is the department of the famous Billy Goldfedder, if you didnt know.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

1. I was an EMT & then Paramedic first long before thinking I would be running into burning buildings. The feeling of helping others has been my motivation for doing both aspects of this job (fire & ems). The more exposure I had to the fire service (in fire-based EMS) the more I was drawn to that side of things. I do truly feel that one person can make a difference, and I try to do that with every call I go on, regardless of the nature.

2. Variety is one draw to this job. The fire department family is a major factor, too. One canít help but feel a family-like connection to those on the same shift, in the same department, and even all through the profession. Each day we have a blank canvas, ready for whatever the world (or our piece of it) throws at us. Itís going different places, talking with different people constantly, yet performing many of the same skills that I love, that makes the job so interesting

3. In conversations, people often speak with admiration of firefighters. I am fairly modest, and I downplay my role in things to simply say that I have a job that allows me the chance to help people in a variety of ways, but that itís just part of human decency & dedication to others & our ideals as people. Itís the golden rule, and I try to help others in the same way that I hope others would try to help me in the same situation.

4. It is similar in the fire service to what most families experience on the anniversary of 9/11. A great many of us had no connection to the WTC or the firefighters who died in the rescue effort, but it was a HUGE loss to our family, the brotherhood. A firefighter in NH is the same as one in CA or NYCÖ we do the same job, we have the same internal makeup & drive that brings us to the fire service. I think the media, like most people, bring honor those lost & those who have suffered around the time of anniversaries. I have found that nearly all media coverage of the original events AND ongoing experiences have been extremely respectful of the very personal meaning that 9/11 has for each and every person. With remembering those who have died & suffered, some things are painful, but itís times like these that people can remember all of the GOOD firefighters & loved ones brought to our world.

5. I was fearful for those in the NYC/DC areas initially, and then with the collapse of the towers I felt grief & loss for the absolute genocide that happened there with civilian & emergency workers.

6. 9/11 was a major wake up call to the civilian world about what the fire service really is, and how important the profession is to life safety. Smaller tragedies (up to 6 deaths at one time) bring some national recognition to the fire service, but nothing could have impacted it like 9/11 did. A major national tragedy has brought about a whole change of atmosphere in the job. I think my life as a firefighter is better because of the even tighter bond we share now.

7. 9/11 hasnít changed my idea of the perfect career. 9/11 wasnít an attack on firefighters, but rather our country as a whole, and I donít think this profession has to be looked at as any more dangerous as a result of terrorism than it was before. Sure, weíre trying to be safer with each passing day, but there is always inherent danger in the fire service. Itís continuous training & depending on our brotherhood that gives us strength to face danger. There is no greater feeling than making someone smile, making someone feel at least a little better than before we showed up. I would trade my life for that, as much as I WANT to continue giving back to the world for the rest of eternity.

8. A memorial doesnít have to be massive like the loss that was realized; the fire service, oddly enough, is not about material things like BIG trucks, big ladders, big firefightersÖ. Itís an unspoken code, a way of life that people in this profession know deep down. A memorial has to be symbolic more than physically impressive. It would have to capture emotion, dedication, and sacrifice in a quiet, unassuming way.

Kevin H.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Damn, you guys are making me cry.

But seriously, you guys are great, this is helping me so much.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. i started out as an explorer. some one told me about it and they thought that i would be a good person for it. my dept was just starting the program and they needed kids to start it up.

2. i love going to my job because everyday is different. we can not do a thing all day or i can have stuff to do all day. something that i enjoy the most, being there with my fellow firefighters. the times that we spend togeather is the greatest. the only thing that i can compare it to is like being on a sports team. i used to play college football and that is the biggest thing that i miss about playing. being there with the guys and seeing them everyday was the highlight of my football career.

3. i dont really get that to many thank you's really, but they do come every now and then. i joined the fire service about 2 months before that day, and about this time of the year, we do get alot of pictures and cards from area schools and people thanking us for everything.

4. i have no problem with replaying the footage of that day. some one said if you forget the past, you are bound to repeat it. it gets everyone back on their guard and reminds people how good we really do have it here in the USA.

5.i was just shocked, stuned, and couldnt believe what was happening.

6. since i was only a firefighter for 2 months before that day, im probly not the best person for this question, but things are not really much different.

7. i havent even thought about changing what i do. i love it to much to even think about leaving.

8. i cant really think of one set thing that should go up in memory of the ones that lost their lives that day, but i would like it to be on the site of where those two towers stood.

9. i have a greater respect for the land that we live in. greater respect for everything firefighters and the military. it makes you really think how great this land is and how good we have it. USA ALL THE WAY.

10. i didnt know anyone that was lost from the events that day thank god.

hope this helps a bit.

nick v. firefighter/emt-b kansas

Forum Member

1. My old man and his brothers were all firemen and the fire house was the best place to hang out. You just knew these were special guys and I wanted to be one, too.

2. Someone has to do it.

3. Very seldom is there a thank you, but that's okay. I prefer the Lone Ranger personna anyway.

4. Show the footage. Then no one will forget. Life is full of pain and joy. You can live with it.

5. Shocked. Angry. Real lock and load angry.

6. Any change has been for the better.

7. Wouldn't change for any of those terror pukes. Someone still has to do this job.

8. Permanent memorial. That's a tough one. I'd leave that to those who lost people on that day.

anonymously yours,

Wow guys, i think i have to write a seperate article just for your great responses and views. I've never had such complete and amazing answers to an interview before.

MembersZone Subscriber

ciagrl,

if there is anything that you need help with about your paper, we will be more than happy to help out with you. if you have any other questions, just post them on here and as you have all ready seen, you are goin to get all the help that you need.

if you would though, could you tell us how you did after you have turned it in and everything. im sure that we would like to see how you did.

I will definatly post it here, once it's done that is.

Thread Information