Forum Member

Default [deleted]

Last edited by CollegeBuff; 12-16-2004 at 02:23 AM.

Forum Member

Default Re: New West Warwick Engine Collides with Station; Reporter Assaulted

Using repeated expletives, the man ordered the reporter off "city property," threatened to hurt him if he did not leave, and said, "You should die a [expletive] horrible death." He said that the news media ruin people's lives and that all reporters should be killed.
    Just a wild guess here, but it's probably safe to say this is not the Public information Officer!
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

MembersZone Subscriber

This is not an excuse, but I would imagine that the media hasn't exactly endeared itself to this fire department in the past year or so.

Forum Member

Sounds right, George, and what a perfect opportunity for that news media to show how THEY are right, rather than chalking it up to an unfortunate mishap & poor PR skills.

Jim, that's the new "direct" approach to relaying information... didn't you get the *expletive* memo?!?

Good luck to our guys in Rhode Island
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

I play PIO on a number of occasions.

Some reporters are royal pain in the arse to deal with. A fdew years ago, a new "cub reporter" for one of the local newspapers came into the station as we were doing our housework. She said "I am (name witheld to protect the truly ignorant) and I am the new city beat reporter for the Marlborough Enterprise. I am here to dig up the dirt on the Marlborough Fire Department"....

She was handed a dustpan and told "there's a pile of sweepings over by Ladder 2 that hasn't been picked up yet"...

She left in a huff.... I woinder why?

Other reporters earn their reputation by "fabricating the news" instead of reporting it (and they wonder why the FD isn't friendly with them... )

The way I would have handled the situation...

Tell the media that a press release would be given out at an appropriate time detailing what happened, and that the matter would be considered closed.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The Fire Department's lieutenant in charge last night -- who refused to give his name -- said he would not comment
    Good, I wouldnt either. I have been asked by the watching public and reporters about whats going on. I simply point and tell them to go see the guy in the white helmet pointing and screaming. It not my place to give info and its not my place to say things about an operation I am only a small part of. Let the Chief handle it, he makes the big bucks.

On St. Patricks day there was a large fire ( the video clip of me is in another post )the flames from the multiple fuel sources were reaching about 40-50 ft in the air at times. A nieghbor came up to me as I was walking to the truck for a flashlight and asked "Whats going on" as another barrel of something popped. I looked at her in dis-belief for a moment thinking could she possibly be this numb and blind? My god I thought, there are flames shooting into the sky,firefighters all around doing a surround and drown and fire trucks everywhere. I just got my light and said "apperently the building is on fire" and walked away.

I am here to dig up the dirt on the Marlborough Fire Department".... She was handed a dustpan and told "there's a pile of sweepings over by Ladder 2 that hasn't been picked up yet"...
    Captain,I have to tip my Pepsi to you........you are truly the master of sarcasm!
    Last edited by stm4710; 09-09-2004 at 02:32 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Providence Journal is the largest rag and unfortunately the only one in the state. The only thing it is good for is fish wrap. They hate everything about local fire departments and especially about union FD's. It is the most anti-union paper on earth. The worst part is that everyone believes everything that is printed in this piece of crap and I can't go to the store with a FD T-shirt on and not get dirty looks or called a thug or thief. God help the person that catches me in the right mood. They had a front page article the other day about the jerkoff mayor in my city and they went as far to put a quote from a woman that she was afraid to put a particular political sign on her lawn because we, the FD, are against this mayor and she was afraid a firefighter may come and burn her house down. I have cancelled my subscription to this paper and refuse to even read it. Unfortunately, this incident in West Warwick will only make things worse.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was a 911 dispatcher the Newspapers used to call all the time bugging me when I was busy

Them: Hi this is so & so from the Blank Newspaper is there anything going on today
    ME: No all quiet today
    Them: Let me speak to your Sgt
    ME: WHY?
    Them: Because he'll tell me whats going on
    ME: Mam, Honestly theres nothing going on but sure I'll put you through
    ME: Hey Sarge the newspapers on the line they said they want to speak to you they dont believe me we are quiet
    Sargeant: Sgt __ can I help you? DIDNT THE DISPATCHER TELL YOU THERE WAS NOTHING GOING ON!!
    Them: Yes but he told me I had to talk to you first
    Sgt: WELL WHEN SOMEONE TELLS YOU THERES NOTHING GOING ON IT MEANS NOTHINGS GOING ON "CLICK"

Its ridiculous how persistent these people are and how rude then they say "I'm doing my job" yea right!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Gee Whiz...................

How on earth do you get Reporters to behave like that? Reporters here (most of them, anyway) call up and ask about something, we give them the info, they print it, End of story. Sounds like some of you have real problems with the media in your area. Happily, I have a good relationship with our local papers, and it pays off when we need something.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I have a great dislike for basicly all but one of the newspaers here. While what the guy did by shoving the reporter off the property was wrong, I would still like to shake his hand.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Re: Gee Whiz...................

Originally posted by hwoods
    How on earth do you get Reporters to behave like that? Reporters here (most of them, anyway) call up and ask about something, we give them the info, they print it, End of story. Sounds like some of you have real problems with the media in your area. Happily, I have a good relationship with our local papers, and it pays off when we need something.

In New Jersey we have Media that is persistant to get "their story" - They monitor the scanner and as soon as something hot happens {at least in my area - Camden County} they're on the phone to the communications center asking for information...They usually get hung up on because they call at the worst of times or they'll show up at a scene and badger anyone they can.

In Delaware where I'm a Career Firefighter the News Media is just as bad and the presence of a firefighter in a uniform draws reporters like sea-gulls to food. - I simply tell them "Not Now" or "Go see the person in charge" usually works until they can't find an OIC or a white helmet and they hunt down the guys and girls in the navy uniforms again....We've actually pushed them out of the way at accident scenes because they're closer than the personnel extricating the patients

Forum Member

We had a building fire with heavy exterior damage a while back. The reporter arrived post incident during the invest and wanted to talk to the chief.

Reporter: Chief, can you tell me what happened here?
    Chief: Do you have a photographer with you?
    Reporter: Yes, why?
    Chief: Because if he takes a picture I'm sure everybody will be able to figure out there was a fire!

Thread Information