MembersZone Subscriber

Question firefighter traditions

I am looking for a site or book or just information on traditions within the fire service. I am eight years into my career and we now have an onslaught of rookies starting their journey. I am trying to maintain the traditions of the job ( I am third generation) but am having trouble consolidating what traditions there are. I would appreciate any resource that anyone can point me to or give me their own, it would be appreciated. I am looking for everything from probies to funerals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi,

There are so many traditions out there, many locally defined. One thing I can say...the firefighting brotherhood (and I am including female members in the broad grouping) is very "second family" oriented. Just like a real family who gets together every week for a family dinner, hold that true in your fire house too. My crew makes it a point to eat at least one meal a shift together. It may be breakfast on a weekend, or dinner on a weekday. This goes so far to promote the family. With 3 units running out of our house and 9-10 members, it gets pretty busy. I find this a good time to share fellowship and a laugh or two. It is also a good time to bring up things that may be a concern, or at the very least worth sharing, in a friendly non-confrontational setting.

In looking at various crews around my city, I find the common thread of the crews that eat together are as a rule a much tighter group.

Rob G
    Gary FD

Forum Member

Tried finding a book earlier this year with no results. Maybe web team can suggest something.Maybe one of the contributors will have something.I am trying to return some tradations to my department.
    Meals are important to the company, and should be maintained if possible.

Forum Member

Talking

Traditions are alot like butt holes ... every Department has a few which are truely their own ! 1

The traditions like a meal together every shift, the cook never washes dishes, bag pipes at funerals, and firehouse pranks are pretty universal in all parts of the country, but I dare say that there isn't a station anywhere that doesn't have some tradtion that is based in the history and experience of that particular house.

One Department I know has a traditional Christmas party every year for the firefighters' children and grandchildren. When the party is over a few guys load Santa and all the letfover wrapped presents onto an engine and take a ride to the pedriatrics ward at the local hospital. It's just something they do ... their tradition. -bob-

Thread Information