Forum Member

Default 24 hour schedule

Our Department just changed our 42 hour 3 days on/3days off schedule to a 50 hour - 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off(with a kelly day every 3rd Cycle)

We don't know of any departments in the NorthEast that work this schedule. We were told it is popular out West and some places in the South.

I would appreciate any feedback from members who work this schedule and any creative ways you swap shifts. Job morale is at an all time low since they aren't paying us for the extra hours we will be working... and to add insult to injury - they implemented the new schedule today 9-11.

Thanks
    FF Patrick Maloney
    Waterbury Fire Dept.
    Engine 10

Forum Member

That schedule sounds alot like the Memphis, TN schedule. go to the following site and ask on the forum there.(you should be able to log in as a guest)
    [URL=http://www.memphisfire.net]

Forum Member

What is a kelly day?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Waterbury CT? If so, we have your chief up here! Klauber
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Out here we call it a 3/4. Las Vegas, North Las Vegas and Henderson use it; as do many SoCal depts. I love it. As far as trades, depends. Take a day off at the tail end and you have a 6-day. As far as repaying, some guys like to work 48s, so they still have at least a 3-day. But if you're needed in the middle of your shift, that gives you a 72hr shift; I get a bit stir-crazy when I work those.

Permanently Removed

Default Cali...

In Cali- the "3/4" schedule is popular.- XOXOXOOOO
    As for creative ways to swap shifts, I can only tell you to
    swap the first or last day out to take 6 off.

As I have stated before, the 2 on, 4 off schedule is
    popular too.

Forum Member

Oh yeah, we do not have kelly days; so can't really comment on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run the same shift here in Indiana. There are a few departments in the area that use it, although most run 24/48. Our Kelly Day is optional - you can take it, or work it for OT. Everyone seems to like the shift they started with, but I really like this schedule. The 4 days off is great, and as has been mentioned, with 1 vacation day you get 6 off. With 3 days off (we call the 3 days a trick) you get a 13 day vacation.

The part I dislike the most is when you work Monday - Wednesday - Friday - that week is a killer. Of course, you get a 4 day weekend before and after, which is not bad. As far as keeping track of your schedule, I carry a small calendar with me. Also, just remember for each day of the week, you work 3 in a row, then get 6 in a row off. So tomorrow I start 3 Sundays in a row, then I get 6 off.

As far as swapping, our department policy only allows us to work 48 hours straight, so no 72's for us, although after working 48's, I don't know that I would want to do a 72 anyway. We are allowed to take vacation in 12 hour increments, so often on trade time we will work 12's.

Like I said, I think it depends on what you start with, but I like this schedule.

MembersZone Subscriber

The sub base in Groton Ct uses it I dont know how they work there kelly day in though

Forum Member

Yeah, those M/W/F go-rounds are rough. Starting my first Sunday tomorrow, also; football at the firehouse, gotta love it!!

What is a kelly day?

I don't know where the "Kelly" name came from, but it's an extra day off from your normal schedule every 30 days or so.

Dates back to when paid firefighters where on a continous duty system -- 15 days on, one day off w/ 3 hours per day off for meals @ home (back in the days of horse-drawn fire apparatus and people living within working distance of home...). A Kelly would give them two days off in a row once a month.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Not Here...............

I can't comment on your shift schedule, as no one in this area uses it. (That I'm aware of) Our full time people work either a 24 on, 72 off shift, for stations that need around the clock staffing, or a 40 hour "Daywork" schedule (Varies, either 5 days per week at 8hours per day, or 4 days at 10 hours. It's a 40 hour week regardless.) for those that do not need Night/Weekend coverage.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Sioux Falls, SD works that schedule. I really like it. If you are allowed to trade shifts you can get two weeks off by trading 2 or 3 shifts and not take any vacation.

As for what is a Kelly day. . .

I think it is named after a mayor in Chicago. Most (mayby all) fire departments are required to pay overtime for any time worked over 53 hours per week. With the schedule described in this post the average time worked is 56 hours per week. The department takes those extra three hours a week and "banks" them for you. Once those hours reach 24 you get that time returned to you in the form of a day off. Some departments will pay you the three hours of OT, however, it is usually better to take the K-day because more often than not it will generate OT depending on your departments staffing mandates.

Forum Member

I worked this shedule when I was on shift and it wasn't bad. It was odd for our area since every other department worked 24 on 48 off. We called it the "California shift" since that was supposedly where it originated.

The only disadvantage I had with this schedule was that you could start to get really tired on your third duty day of the cycle if you were on a really busy company. I also found that by the end of my 4 days off, I couldn't wait to get back to the station (and my wife couldn't wait to get rid of me).

I think you will like it. I would definately take it over the shift schedule you did have.

Forum Member

Kellys work a couple different ways around here (for 24-48 schedules)......

There's one FD that assigns/bids Kelly days........ Ex. 1 FF will have Wednesday as his Kelly Day, so every Wednesday he supposed to work, he has off.......

Others let people use them like Vacation days and they can take them whenever they want.......

Forum Member

I have a quick question for those of you working 24 hr shifts. How does your department manage relief at a busy station? At my station, we have had times when we are getting 70 calls in 24 hrs and it has gone on for 2 or 3 days like that. Our shift is 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off but there are guys in the sleepy stations that want to go to 24's and I have yet to hear how the busy stations would be managed.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

I work the 2D/2N/4OFF also .I love it.We have some guys talking about going to the 24/72.Our Chief doesn;t like the 24's so unless someone can convince him that it is better for the City or Dept. ,it ain't gonna happen.

Because we average out to around 42 hours per week,we get "comp" days.About 8 or 9 a year.We pick them with our vacation.

Forum Member

It seems to me that the big problem here isn't what shift you guys are going to or who likes it or who doesn't like it. The big problem is that you are working 8 extra hours with no pay increase. That's called getting screwed.

Forum Member

Thanks to all who responded with their comments and suggestions to our Department's new schedule. We aren't happy with spending more time away from our families and not getting compensated our hourly wage for the extra 8 hours a week.
    Stay Safe

We work that schedule in GR, MI. Most everybody really likes it. As far as trades, we have unlimited trades here. Since you only work 9 days a month, it makes it very easy to long stretches of time off WITHOUT USING ANY VACATION DAYS. For example, with a little preplanning, you can work 2 extra days a month. (Trust me, those 4 off days get really long!) If you do this, say, Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb., you could conceiveably take the month of July or August off (with a four day at the front and at the end, that is 31 days off). What is more common is to take the cycle with your Kelly day in it. Trade the remaining two days on with someone, and enjoy your 13 day vacation. (Again, without using any vacation days!)As for Kelly days, we call em Leave days here. We are allowed to trade L-Days as well. (I'll trade you your July L-day for my May L-day. I won't have and L-day in May, but I will have 2 in July.) These can come in very handy for family events, etc. Incidentally, don't feel like you are getting screwed to bad, you are being compensated for the extra time worked in the form of time off. That is what your L-day is for.

Forum Member

Default Schedules, schedules......

In Chicago the FF's work 24/48, but the fifth workday in that cycle is known as a Daley day, and you're off, so every 12 calendar days you get 5 straight days off. EMS worked the same schedule up until January 1995, when in response to winning an FLSA lawsuit they moved them to 24 on and 72 off, but took away the Daley Day. They also changed EMS furlough time to be reflective of seniority-- 0 to 5 years gets 5 duty days a year,5 to 15 gets 10 days, and 15 and up get 15 days a year. Under the old system, everyone got 3 17 day furloughs, regardless of seniority. With some of the shenanigans going on here, there has been much talk of an hours change, but they can't quite figure out how they'd pay for it. The idea was floated to put FS & R on the 24/72, but too many guys working side jobs cried that it would screw them up...as well as the newbies who would see their furlough time diminish...although I wish I could find a job in private industry that gave me 51 days of vacation time a year after just walking in the door. I guess they didn't see the opportunities for overtime went from 2 a month under the old system to
    8 a month under the new. Oh, well. Makes me glad I don't work with the whining babies any more.

Forum Member

Default 24 hour shifts

We have been working a 24/72 shift for over 2 years now, and I dont think short of getting paid to stay home can you beat it. 24/72 is getting to be the norm here in the northeast.. In Nj the State Supreme court ruled that 24/72 is manditory negotable item.
    With one day off you are off 7 days. the most you work is either 7 or 8 days a month.And as far as side jobs it makes it easier to work PT.
    Plus you never work 2 weekend days in a row any more. I hope we never have to go back to 10s and 14s.plus we have unlimited swap days which makes for even more time off. TRY it

If you work a 53hr work week then you should get paid for it, My IAFF Local 4363 Cinnaminsom Firefighters NJ just set up are contract with this type of contract hours, if you need help give a call, look in your IAFF book of contacts and look us up I can help you and we can get this taken care of, there are several fire departments around us in NJ who run this shift. Shift swaps are very easy as long as you don't get any overtime. If you need help will help !

IAFF 4363 Officer's Shop

Permanently Removed

Default Cali Schedule?

Originally posted by HM604OH
    I worked this shedule when I was on shift and it wasn't bad. It was odd for our area since every other department worked 24 on 48 off. We called it the "California shift" since that was supposedly where it originated.
    Note- There are only 3 departments out of hundreds in our
    state that are on this schedule. The most popular is the
    3/4 and 2/4 schedule.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 09-22-2004 at 01:07 PM.

I work that schedual, i think its good. firefighters are the only group that can work this type of schedual with out getting the OT for the 53 hour work week. It breaks down in to a 27 day pay cycle with every 9th shift being a k-day. the have to give you a k-day to keep you under the fair labor standards act (law) wich i believe it brings you to a 51 hour work week. The schedual can be a grind if you work a busy station. I think it works in our favor for time off. IE trades and vacation days can create alot of time off. I take off six weeks every year to run my boat in bristol bay alaska, which brings me to my next point. A second job or trade or career or whatever you call it is easy to do whithin this schedual. Alot of the guys i work with have these second jobs. I just have the commercial fishing. (anybody looking for a deck hand job in AK this summer? see what your really made of!)My advice, Give the shift work a chance, I think you may find you like it.
    Take care, and good luck.

Thread Information