Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Aerial or Ground Ladder?

The question is...If they make ground ladders that are the same height as your Ladder truck...should your truck still be considered an aerial? I like to put this piece of apparatus into its own catagory.

Glorified Ground Ladder.

I told you last night not to be jealous that you didn't get best aerial!!!

Don't Hate Da Player....Hate the Parade Marshalls
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was waiting for your responce. BTW, thanks for the invite last nite. I ended up goign to that roll over in town.

Forum Member

TVFDT141 -

I believe what you are referring to is called a "City Service Truck", which is essentially a ladder truck without an aerial ladder.

All ladder trucks fit into this category until the late 1800s, when the Hayes aerial ladder started appearing on American LaFrance frames. Still, aerials were out of the price range for many fire departments, and well into the mid-20th century "city service trucks" were common. Historically, the term "ladder truck" dates before aerials became commonplace.

Often these apparatus were paired up with engine companies in the paid fire service, with one or two guys on them, and were called "Combination Companies" - both FDNY and Bridgeport, CT did that. Bridgeport lost its last combination company, believe it or not, in the 1980s. I know over the years Norwalk, and most of the Naugatuck Valley towns had CSTs, too, and I'm sure there were many others. All the major manufacturers made them.

While City Service Trucks are virtually extint now, I know Nichols FD in Trumbull has Truck 304, which is a 1980s era Hahn, which fits that category. If memory serves, it carries everything you need on a ladder truck - ground ladder assortment, generator, salvage, etc, plus I think a mobile cascade system (which is why its nicknamed "Fresh Air and Sunshine"). It just doesn't have an aerial.

MembersZone Subscriber

Connfire,

Although I do truly appreciate the information which you have given me this was not what I was refering too.

What I was refering to was the 75' Glorified Ground Ladder that won best appearing aerial at Ellington. Thats all.

No adze, im not jealous. Mines bigger...and gets used.

Originally posted by TVFDT141
    What I was refering to was the 75' Glorified Ground Ladder that won best appearing aerial at Ellington.
    What truck was that?
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TCFD12

What truck was that?
    That was Tollands 75' Pierce straight stick.

All joking aside, the truck did look great. Their department as a whole also looked outstanding.

Its still a glorified ground ladder in my eyes though.

I believe Berlin got Best Overall.

Our Color Guard screwed up and we had a penalty.

Warehouse Point got Best Rescue.

The BIGGEST joke of the night:

East Windsor Emergency Management won best specialized apparatus for a frigging expedition and best in shirts or something like that.

They are the biggest joke. They don't do anything but wear uniforms that look like State Police...both FDs, the Police, and the Amublance in EW cannot stand them. Literally, they are useless unless a major distaster happens. Half of EM is made up of people who were kicked out of either of the FDs...I could go on venting for hours...needless to say, the guys from EW were all chanting "BullS***"
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Never did understand...if you're going with a tandem axle truck already, why leave off one of the sections? If you're going to spend that much money, spend enough to do it right.

I can see it if you're trying to squeeze onto a single-axle and meet our bridge laws (and actually I wouldn't mind if we had a single axle 75' instead of a tandem 100'!)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

KEEP VENTING! I DARE YOU!

Thread Information